70 series - which one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As I expected the rust issue is a big factor - I suppose try and get something rust free and stay on top of it so that you don't go out one morning and discover a big pile of orange dust where you used to park your cruiser.

Although I don't consider my current ride to be a pavement queen, I usually get more body damage in the Walmart parking lot than I do off road. You know, stuff that I can't polish out in a few minutes with a buffer. I'm not into off road abuse with my only vehicle.

It's good to get another point of view. Thanks for all your input.

Wayne: I guess we'll talk later - not sure when as I am off to Vancouver next week.

Brownbear: how long you been in Smithers? I used to live there before moving out to Calgary a few years back. I'd move back in an instant if I could get Telus to put me there. Grew up in Terrace.

So other than the engine and interior changes, what's the difference between the HZJ73 and a BJ74? How about a HZJ73 and HZJ74?

Is that engine any better than the 13bt? I already know about differences such as displacement, # of cylinders, IDI vs. DI, turbo, and I think timing belt vs. gears, but which, if either, is better? Why?

...I have one or two thoughts on this...

I have a 1983 BJ60. Bought it with the intentions of building it up a little. This I did. A couple of years back, when I was about 3/4 the way through (the list is really long...including a rb tranny/t-case, lots of body work, some frame work, suspension work...etc) I had the opportunity to crawl under an HJ61 we just recieved. I lay there for a while...saying omg, what I am doing with the BJ60. You see, it was nice, clean, rust free (for Cdn standards), was powerful, and for a limited amount of work it could be an incredible truck. I was so far into Das Poo that I continued (after shelving it for a while because I did buy a BJ74) it...more because of stubborness then brains.

Even if you find a Cdn BJ70 that is pretty clean (there is one for sale on this site) there will still be rust (more then most JDM's).

My vote...buy something as rust free and as low km as possible from an importer. You then have a foundation. Spray all the body cavities, frame, doors, sills, pillars, etc with a creeping wax oil at least once a year, and spend your money making the truck what you want...not fixing the rust/drivetrain/etc before getting to the "what you want" items.

Note: Rust free, low kms, and loaded are getting harder and harder to find in the BJ74/71 series (and the HJ61 series). You can get "rough and higher km" ones for cheaper...but what was cheap 1-2 years ago and what is cheap now has changed as well.

As Stone mentiones...the HJZ73's will start showing up more and more.

If you want to check out a BJ74 in person, shoot me a note PM and perhaps we can hook up while you are here. I am in Abbotsford and Stone is in Langley.

gb

Last edited:
Technikev said:
As I expected the rust issue is a big factor - I suppose try and get something rust free and stay on top of it so that you don't go out one morning and discover a big pile of orange dust where you used to park your cruiser.

Although I don't consider my current ride to be a pavement queen, I usually get more body damage in the Walmart parking lot than I do off road. You know, stuff that I can't polish out in a few minutes with a buffer. I'm not into off road abuse with my only vehicle.

It's good to get another point of view. Thanks for all your input.

Wayne: I guess we'll talk later - not sure when as I am off to Vancouver next week.

Brownbear: how long you been in Smithers? I used to live there before moving out to Calgary a few years back. I'd move back in an instant if I could get Telus to put me there. Grew up in Terrace.
Anytime, just shoot me an email or call...
i'll try and help you out...
the one big difference between Luxury and the other high end importers is i DO have a 1 year limited warranty. We do our own service and can offer to maintian your vehicle or recommend someone we trust to treat you well.
you will not find a disclaimer stating "all vehicles bought as is"
cheers
cheers

Technikev said:
So other than the engine and interior changes, what's the difference between the HZJ73 and a BJ74? How about a HZJ73 and HZJ74?

Is that engine any better than the 13bt? I already know about differences such as displacement, # of cylinders, IDI vs. DI, turbo, and I think timing belt vs. gears, but which, if either, is better? Why?
i have driven both engines for quite some time and i just LOVE the 1HZ. with a trubo and propane injection the engine just rocks and still gets the same PROVEN milage as a 13BT.
the 13BT is a sweet engine as well. i really enjoyed mine. HUGE difference from the 3B.
the timing belt makes for a quieter engine and if changed every 100,000 you should have no issues at all.
if you wish to go for a test drive in a 1HZ then come to Dan's customer appreciataion on the 24th of this month in Edmonton. i will be there with the HZJ75...
cheers

You're a Canadian, get the 74 for Gosh sakes!!!!!

:doh: :cheers: :doh:

Technikev said:

six months, was in cowtown for 5 year roundabout.

Yes Smithers is really nice. But my wife likes the shopping malls. So I have to ship her out once and a while. Ohterwise she makes me :eek:

Sorry Wayne, but I'll be out on the coast that weekend schmoozing with the potential out laws.

And Dan's having a pancake breakfast to boot. It's sure hard to turn down a free meal, but my arteries will appreciate no sausages and other such stuff.;v)

crushers said:
hummm, did they make a 3B-II in 1985 or even 88? from my understanding the ture 3B-II came out in 89...
teh BJ73s he has listed...
Dang Wayne, I though you would know! I have noticed some cut and paste errors in his website; my PTO winch was listed as 24V...

I always though the 3B-II was 87. I get confused what actually makes a II. Rotary injection pump, rocker assembly # or what... From what I can tell, there is a 3B, an updated 3B and a 3B-II.

I was just looking at the HZJ 74 though, first one I've seen for sale.

yah, i thought it was 1989 as the first and only year of the 3B-II (you can tell by the exhaust manifold)
a 24V PTO winch, now that is a rare beast...
i have come across a few HZJ73s but i have past as they didn't fit my desires for a import...
nice to see one here though, good for him...
cheers

nothing at all, i have not driven one so i can not make an acurate opinion. they would be a cross between my BJ74 with the engine from my HZJ75, since i really love them both i think they would be fine unit.

crushers said:
yah, i thought it was 1989 as the first and only year of the 3B-II (you can tell by the exhaust manifold)
a 24V PTO winch, now that is a rare beast...
i have come across a few HZJ73s but i have past as they didn't fit my desires for a import...
nice to see one here though, good for him...
cheers

3B-II engine was installed in BJ70's as early as August 1988. By 1989 model year the 3B was gone.

expat said:
Dang Wayne, I though you would know! I have noticed some cut and paste errors in his website; my PTO winch was listed as 24V...

I always though the 3B-II was 87. I get confused what actually makes a II. Rotary injection pump, rocker assembly # or what... From what I can tell, there is a 3B, an updated 3B and a 3B-II.

I was just looking at the HZJ 74 though, first one I've seen for sale.

Marko is a very good importer. In the ever growing importing business, I have only come across maybe only one importer that I didn't like.

Marko and Wayne are good ones.

Agreed

Stone said:
Marko and Wayne are good ones.

That was my short list when I bought mine. Came down to who had what and when...

Wayne, on the topic of importing, is it realistic for a buyer to say to you "I want this model" and want you to find it? Is that how it works?

I ask in case I rob a bank, sell my BJ70 and ask you to bring in one of these for me:

LC70atspeed.jpg

Ouch.. is that like a major dent on the roof?

ANother HZJ-73 available.

HZJ-73 for sale

Hey Wayne-O, what's the difference between a HZJ-73/74?

One thing that I dont like with the HZJ73 are those dang auto locking hubs.

Manual hubs rock. Im not lazy, I can get out and lock in my own hubs thank you very much.

TB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom