70 series - which one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

actually there were 361 HZJ74 built. they started production in May 1999. this model replaced the HZJ73 in the same year...
cheers

moose_sv1000s said:
Wayne, on the topic of importing, is it realistic for a buyer to say to you "I want this model" and want you to find it? Is that how it works?

I ask in case I rob a bank, sell my BJ70 and ask you to bring in one of these for me:

LC70atspeed.jpg
in a nut shell, yes.

361.. Lol ;) I'm only current to 96, which isn't current :D SO like Tom was asking what's the difference in designation then?

Last edited:
The HZJ74 is a 73 with coil springs on the front-axle (and the 1HZ engine was modified) ... like a 78 Troopie. I can't belief that Toyota only built 361, because they sell/sold them in europe, africa, asia and maybe in australia!?
There are also HZJ71s with the same mods.

have a nice day

Wayne, I don't know the production date of my JDM 88 BJ-73; however, I know that it sports a 3B-II as original equipment. I haven't had the exhaust manifold off yet, but it has the rotary injection pump that is unique to the 3B-II.

Well, I definately want an HZJ73 then.

Ive got nothing against that 13BT, but I just love that 1HZ.

What are all your feelings on the electric lockers vs. the cable lockers on the BJ74. I tend to lean towards the cables but it wouldnt stop me from getting a 73.

Are the HZJ-73's much more money than the BJ-74's are costing???

Tom

Last edited:
dieseldog said:
Wayne, I don't know the production date of my JDM 88 BJ-73; however, I know that it sports a 3B-II as original equipment. I haven't had the exhaust manifold off yet, but it has the rotary injection pump that is unique to the 3B-II.

That's a fallacy. Rotary pumps came on JDM 3Bs at least as early as '81. 3BIIs can be identified by their eight bolt crankshafts (as opposed to 6 on the 3B) and maybe their red paint. The head and exhaust manifold is remarkably different as well.

Thanks Lowenbrau, I was not aware of that info. I'll check mine closer and see what's what. Hell, if it's a regular 3B, then I'll have no problem using an AXT when the time comes to mount a blower.

lowenbrau said:
3BIIs can be identified by their eight bolt crankshafts (as opposed to 6 on the 3B) and maybe their red paint.

That would match the 13BT's change up from the 3B compatible 6 bolt crank to the 8 bolt in 10/1988...iirc. Cept the 13BT went from red paint to blue paint on the block...maybe.

gb

lshobie said:
Tonito, what was the engine mod.?

Louis

This is probably when they ceased production of the 1HZ and made only the 1HD
This also happened when they changed from the 75 series to the coil sprung 78/79 series

Tonito said:
The HZJ74 is a 73 with coil springs on the front-axle (and the 1HZ engine was modified) ... like a 78 Troopie. I can't belief that Toyota only built 361, because they sell/sold them in europe, africa, asia and maybe in australia!?
There are also HZJ71s with the same mods.

have a nice day
Tonito we were only lucky enough to get a handfull of HZJ73 and HZJ70 and a few more PZJ variants in Aust

I'm not sure about the whole mods on the engine, but one of the mods was a "recycling of exhaust gases"-system to reach the european requirement. I will ask for more information on a german board.
The engine is still in production, you can still order brandnew HZJ71, 74, 78 and 79 here in germany (the 76 was never available in germany), but they are equiped with an aftermarket blackbox and other electronical-stuff to keep the exhaust gases clean, this box is fortunatly not sooo important and the engine runs without it (not like in a defender td5).
The Problem is the price ... around EUR 35000 (CAD 51872.91, USD 42367.50, AUD 54075) ... a bit expensive for a car without any security-systems and comfort and stuff like this ;)

have a nice day

Question from a newbie: what's JDM?

Also, what does LX mean with BJ7x's? Later model? Extras? This might be an Australian-delivered thing, not sure.

It's good to hear how revered the 75 troopies are on this list. I drive them as work cars, the best way to find out what a truck can really do. And the local Aborigines use them as bush machines for the extended family. I'll get you guys some photos of well-loved 75s. They don't call a car a car around here, they call them Toyotas - as in 'I can't get into town, I haven't got a Toyota'.

LowFour said:
Question from a newbie: what's JDM?

Also, what does LX mean with BJ7x's? Later model? Extras? This might be an Australian-delivered thing, not sure.

QUOTE]

LX is a trim level. Toyota usually had 3-4 trim levels for every Land Cruiser model, depending on the market. In some markets, it was only one, like in the US, in others, there were multiple. LX is usually the next in line after STD, which is usually the basic trim. Again, LX extra vary from market to market, but it usually designates carpet over vynil floors, some form of trim on the doors (instead of the simple vynil), possibly bucket seats with a center console instead of the split bench, etc...

During the early years of the 60 series Canada received both STD and an odd combination of the G and GX trim unique to North America. Narrowing down the specifics is VERY hard to do, because of the infinite variations. My Venezuela-spec FJ60 was nearly identical in trim to the Canada spec BJ60's designated as G trim. But my Venezuela-spec FJ62 is trimmed GX, and there's no significant difference between it and a US spec FJ62, which is not trimmed. Then there's the JDM GXL, like Gary Cobberly's, which has a slew of goodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom