69 fj40 Building on a buget "I wish" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here’s some progress I removed 1 side of the rear swing shackle mount and made a new one got to what till I get the 55 springs to mount the hanger but I'm cleaning the frame and painting it.
DSCF7762.jpg

Think this will work to clear 44s
DSCF7761.jpg

:) just kidding :)
I don't have anywhere to take and keep the body off at so this way I can clean and paint between the body and frame. Hope it gives me enoph room any higher I think it will get unstable.

Last edited:
Great post. You're motivating me to keep welding on my sheet metal. Keep it up!

Scout PS time

Went to the junk yard today and got a scout box and pump and mount for $100 the only one in the area. They closed early so I could not get the tie rod. I’m going back next weekend to get some brake parts. And the rest of the PS parts I need.

I’ll post some pics tomorrow.

I have a lot of respect for anybody that can a) legitimately say they "fab'd" something and b) can keep a long-term project going. Strong work.

SEMPER FI!

Got the scout box mocked up in place; still need to make the inside frame plate.
DSCF7799-1.jpg

DSCF7800-1.jpg

I tried to leave enough room to change to a different pitman arm I have not decided between Wrangler, Camaro, or 1ton? The stock scout looks like its going to hit the spring at full stuff and I have no way to check. I think if I get a flatter arm will help.
Any suggestion or pic’s would be appreciated.

Took as little material off the shock tower as I had to but I think I’m going to run F-250 shock mounts anyway.
DSCF7802.jpg

DSCF7804.jpg

Last edited:
Got a steering shaft out of a 90 model Chevy van and got the steering mocked up.

DSCF7810.jpg

:censor:
Only to remember that I still have my 6” body lift in, making all the angles wrong.
Or I can leave it in!:bounce:
I don’t think so.

I’ll get more pic’s of it and maybe a write up after the body is lowered back down.

Chris

Last edited:
that Scout Arm seems pretty long...other then the profile, are they all the same length?

It is long 9" long I'm looking for a shorter one but can't find one that does not have a big drop and is around 7" long. Other scout box users have changed to Wageneer arms but I have not found one yet.

Are the Racey brothers out in Winchester still playing with Cruisers?

Looks good man. Solid work.

I used to live in Winchester and rode mountain bikes out on the trails around there a lot. Nice place with access to lots of wilderness areas.

Keep up the momentum!

-Stumbaugh

I got the outside of my frame painted with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. Cleaned the inside frame rails still have to figure out how I'm going to paint them. Then I can lower the body and finish the power steering; I can not find a Pitman arm that I need anywhere.

Chris

I used the Rust Enapsulator on several frames, inside and out.

To clean the inside of the frame, get a small sqaure flue brush - see ebay. I got the last I bought for $12 bucks. Make a template of the inside of the frame and then cut down the brush with a pair of diagonal cutters until it fits. I used a lazer level to aim at where I should cut. It does not have to be exact and should be larger than the inside of the opening. Attach a fiberglass chimney rod to the one end and a rope to the other. Push in at the rear of the frame where the spring hanger is and at the same time, have someone pull a rope that has been threaded through the frame. Work back and forth.

I then used a foam brush made for cleaning baby bottles to paint the inside - worked perfectly. 99 cents at the dollar store, throw away when done.

-Stumbaugh

Stumbaugh
thanks I now What you are talting about did not think of that. and I think my dad has 1 or 2 around his house.

I do not know the Racey's. I have only lived here 6 years and I don't get out much.

Just picked up a new 40 off ebay Its got a lot of parts I need the tub is rusted bad from the coul back.
0038_1.jpg

Last edited:
blowin smoke

After 15 years I broke down and spent $50.00 on plugs, wires, points, cap and rotor. She popped right off. I didn’t replace the points or the cap and rotor (wrong points cap & rotor on order). She smokes a little more than I remember.

DSCF7829.jpg

OOOOOOOooohhhhhh what a feeling; TOYOTA!

nice job jake hang in there it all come together

got my PS frame plate made and burned in
DSCF7840.jpg

DSCF7843.jpg

I'll grind it down and mount the box tomarrow. I think I'm going to use a f250 pitman arm 6" long 1"drop from what some peaple tell me and beefy as :censor:

Well hears some progress got the rear frame swing shackle mounting plate welded in.
DSCF7861.jpg

Got the 55 springs bolted up to get the right placement of the swing shackle mount for the shackle angle should be around 50 deg. Got them burned in will have pics later.
DSCF7855.jpg

DSCF7858.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom