65 swb fj45 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Tony,​
I'll bet you can't wait to get started. That is one nice old truck!​
:bounce:CONGRADULATOINS!:bounce:

Cheers,:beer:

Jim

push it down and see if it blows your ears out

I did and it scared the $&!) out of my son, oh good times!

What is the purpose of the "Throttle" pull knob. I tried to pull it out, it only moves 1/4", slightly raising the idle.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Throttle

I did and it scared the $&!) out of my son, oh good times!

What is the purpose of the "Throttle" pull knob. I tried to pull it out, it only moves 1/4", slightly raising the idle.

Thanks guys.

When I had mine hooked up before I changed carbs I used it like a cruise control on the freeway LOL I have also heard i could be used if you had a PTO winch ? Getting ready to head to Dage should be a nice drive

Very nice find...but I disagree with your plans :meh:

Why not mod the hell out of the '67, and keep this one stock???

Don't mean to piss anyone off...it's just that up here I keep looking for such a survivor, but not surprisingly, they are either all rusted out, or all modified beyond being able to return to stock :frown:

Hey, but it's your rig, so have fun with it :cheers:

Very nice find...but I disagree with your plans :meh:

Why not mod the hell out of the '67, and keep this one stock???

Don't mean to piss anyone off...it's just that up here I keep looking for such a survivor, but not surprisingly, they are either all rusted out, or all modified beyond being able to return to stock :frown:

Hey, but it's your rig, so have fun with it :cheers:

Thats OK, we agree to disagree. The 67 is getting parted to replace funds and make space in the garage.

I, too, have been looking for a very long time for the "ideal truck". I will be driving this truck for a very long time and my goal is to have a safe and comfortable driver, and not what I can get for resale. If it makes you feel any better, I am holding off on the power steering because that is pretty much irreversible (can be done with a lot of work), but the brakes will be converted to 4WD. I am not going to cut it up and drop a V8 in it, that is what my 40 is all about.

I appreciate the reponses and the feedback whether they are for or against anything I am doing.

Good...I am glad :)

Actually...I am looking at a possible second early 40 for some hard to find parts to restore the '64...so...seeing as I'll probably have a second 40 kicking around, I plan to add a small lift, new seats, new disk brakes, maybe even one of those small Cummins engines found that thread below, and use it as a DD basher...but, that will be after I finish restoring the '64 back to it's original beauty ;)

Enjoy your rig, and just keep the pictures coming :cheers:

Edit: Any idea when will you be posting what you will be selling off the '67?

Very nice find...
I keep looking for such a survivor, but not surprisingly, they are either all rusted out, or all modified beyond being able to return to stock :frown:
Hope you can find one Dean ;)

I, too, have been looking for a very long time for the "ideal truck". I will be driving this truck for a very long time ..I am holding off on the power steering because that is pretty much irreversible (can be done with a lot of work), but the brakes will be converted to 4WD. I am not going to cut it up and drop a V8 in it, ..

I agree , brakes are ok :D
enjoy your truck !!!!!
Cheers
Peter

More on the damage. Bulkhead has been pushed forward a bit and a little rust. .45 hole through the floor. I think Barney Fife was driving this thing. Are these the original seat belts?

That .45 hole looks like a discharge while in the holster - from a lefty. Awesome truck, congrats :cool:

..seeing as I'll probably have a second 40 kicking around, I plan to add , new disk brakes,....., and use it as a DD basher...but, that will be after I finish restoring the '64 back to it's original beauty

drove my BJ43 25 years as a DD with drums on front and rear, never had a problem & would never do a conversion,
think it`s not necessary to do a disk conversion,
ok it`s my car, ...
... everybody can do want he/she wants to do ;)
Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
My Gas Pedal is that worn out in my FJ40. I bought it from the toyota mechanic that maintained the 2 red FJ40s in my town, which I have one of them. The truch has 400,000km or 500,000km (250,000 to 310,000miles) depending on which of the 2 I have.

I am going to be rebuilding the carburetor and in doing a search for a part number, it would appear I am supposed to have a large window carb???? Am I reading the date correctly 1 G 15 (1971, July, 15th?)
1965 swb 033 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 035 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 034 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
I have several parts on order and working on getting the correct carburetor for the truck. In the meantime I removed the blinker and 4wd dash indicator lights, cleaned, polished and reinstalled them. The dash cleaned up pretty well, I removed the old ash tray and glove box panel and replaced them with parts from my 63 FJ40. (First pic is a before shot)
1965 swb 006 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 067 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 066 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
I am following Dom's lead and installed an FJ60 radiator overflow bottle. I fabbed up a simple bracket to mount the bottle on the radiator core support. I used .120 sheet metal 3" wide 4" high, drilled 2 holes to mount it on the core support then drilled and tapped 2 additional holes to mount the bracket from the bottle to the plate I made. This looks a lot nicer and cleaner than what was there before, and it is all Toyota, well except for the metal bracket I made.
1965 swb 062 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 063 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 064 (Medium).jpg

1 more pic from the front. Today started out a good day, parts are starting to come in and are getting installed and then in the blink of an eye it went right in the crapper. I went to AAA to get the title transferred into my name and the PO had told the vehicle was non-opped since '04. Nope! It had not been registered since '04, so I ended up getting kicked in the balls 581 times!!!! Man that hurt :mad: But, it is officially mine now :)
1965 swb 065 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 068 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom