64 fj40 disc brake conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased a 64 fj40 with SBC and power steering already done. But with the plan to run 33's or bigger the brakes also have to be done.
Based on my research so far on this site it looks like the best option is to source a complete front axle assembly from a 74-79 fj60 that already has discs and swap the entire axle into mine. Any other good options I should consider? Does anyone know where I can easily find this setup? (Checking the local junk yards is on the list, just haven't made it yet.)
I know as part of this swap that I will also need a master cylinder and at a minimum new hard lines all the way around. Should I try to source the master cylinder from the same fj60?
I am open to upgrading the rear to disc also, but I am really unsure what is the best route on the rear. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

This truck will not be my daily driver nor will it be used for extreme off road use. I just want something strong, reliable and safe to enjoy.

My guess is your current frt end is ball and claw. The FJ60 housing is 3" wider than a stk FJ40 frt end. The FJ60 knuckles are the large pattern which is good ans stronger, but IDK if they will fit your current frt end housing. You may have to get a later FJ40 model disc frt axle or just a later model FJ40 drum axle then put fj60 knuckles and birfs on it. For the rears, you should be able to get Posers rotors, and caliper brackets along with monte carlo calipers and pads. A new dual reservoir master and new lines and possibly a brake booster and proportioning valve.

pb4ugo, you say the fj60 axle is 3" wider, but what about the spring perches on the 60 axles? Are they in the same location as the 40 or are they also different? My thought, in theory I could source both front and rear 60 axles and bolt them in. I get a wider stance, better axles and disc brakes on the front and hopefully matching gears.

40 springs are spaced closer together than a fj60. People have done this swap b4. If you do an Advanced Search for the 40 section you should be able to find threads on this subject . I think you have to notch into the frt alxe housing for the pass side spring perch. Others hopefully will probably chime on the process. There's also a couple write ups in the FAQ's at the top of the page in this section(FJ40).

40 springs are spaced closer together than a fj60. People have done this swap b4. If you do an Advanced Search for the 40 section you should be able to find threads on this subject . I think you have to notch into the frt alxe housing for the pass side spring perch. Others hopefully will probably chime on the process. There's also a couple write ups in the FAQ's at the top of the page in this section(FJ40).

Thanks for the info. Not sure what I'll do, still researching my options.

Disc brake 40's are 76 - end of production (in the USA). FJ60 front end will work with some fab. It is 3in wider and you have to either outboard the springs or notch the housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom