62 transfer case breather cap removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So I can (barely) reach the breather on my tcase with my hand, thanks to my body lift. I can grab onto the cap, and I want to take it off so I can make sure the breather isn't clogged and eliminate that as a cause of oil being forced up my speedo cable. The seals in the speedo sleeve will be replaced as well, but I figure I need to solve any potential pressurization issue first or new seals will just fail again (or worse, oil will be forced into my transmission. Bad news for an automatic). Now my question is, how can I remove the cap from the breather? I didn't want to just grip it n' rip it and risk damaging it, but I need to make sure it's doing its job and letting the tcase vent when it heats up.

the cap is loose on the lower part, it is crimped onto a barb type piece that thread into the housing of the transfer case.
should be a place down against the housing to get a wrench onto and loosen. it threads into the transfer case housing.

generally if it is loose and moving around it is not plugged, it is not a sophisticated setup.

^^ Pretty much exactly. I can't recall if it's threaded or just pressed in, but something is making me believe that you have to cut threads into the case if you want to put a nipple on to extend the breather up to the engine bay.

A retrofit will require removing the transfer case cuz there's just no room while it's installed. It's possible (I assume) to test if the transfer case can breathe out that vent fitting by pressurizing the case a bit with pressurized air via the oil fill hole in the transfer using some doohickey adapter of sorts

I'm about to take my H55F/tcase combo to Torfab this weekend so they can swap it in next week in place of my wearing out A440F. I figured since I can easily pull the breather off it I would go ahead and tap the hole for a right angle fitting so I can pop one in and be ready to run the line for it (or just have the guys at @torfab run a line when they install the combo). Eyeballing, it looks like a 3/8NPT thread will work well. Curious what others have used if there's a better size to go with, or if the 3/8NPT will be good.

I've tapped a half dozen or so to 1/4 NPT and it works fine, next one is going to get this sweet plug-in OEM solution that I just recently learned about though

20200323_110345.jpg

fullsizeoutput_4d30.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be calling @cruiseroutfit and having them send a breather to Torfab for me! Wish I would've known about this earlier so I could've just popped it in.

Looks like I'll be calling @cruiseroutfit and having them send a breather to Torfab for me! Wish I would've known about this earlier so I could've just popped it in.

Sorry, we’ve stocked them for quite some time and often install them in the t-cases we ship out... but they’ve never been on our old website and need to get put on the new one :D. Part# DIFF36149

Ring us, we have plenty in stock @ Cruiser Outfitters - 801-563-1277

So CruiserOutfitter's part presses into the stock tcase breather location?

So CruiserOutfitter's part presses into the stock tcase breather location?

Correct, you pop the standard pop-top style out and tap this one in. You could put some retaining compound/locktite on it if you're worried about it.

Let us know!

Good to know the next time my case is out.

Anyone know what the torque value for the Breather cover plate should be? (inside the transfer case). I'm a little paranoid of it coming loose or me stripping the Al thread.

Anyone know what the torque value for the Breather cover plate should be? (inside the transfer case). I'm a little paranoid of it coming loose or me stripping the Al thread.

Sorry, we’ve stocked them for quite some time and often install them in the t-cases we ship out... but they’ve never been on our old website and need to get put on the new one :D. Part# DIFF36149

Ring us, we have plenty in stock @ Cruiser Outfitters - 801-563-1277
@cruiseroutfit hapoen to have these on your new site yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom