62 FJ45 SWB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I can get my hands on a solenoid I think I can make this one work.
If anyone has that older solenoid. Feel free to send me a message!!!

If I can get my hands on a solenoid I think I can make this one work.
If anyone has that older solenoid. Feel free to send me a message!!!
I have see a few on eBay. Not sure if this one is correct.

I have see a few on eBay. Not sure if this one is correct.
Thanks for sending that!!
It does look to be the correct one. I have been looking at that and think I will try that route.
Thanks again!!

Everything seems to be coming together!!
Put the armature on the lathe and cleaned up the commutator. Everything metered just fine. Gently cleaned up the rest of the housing and components.

011F8F3B-DA16-42DC-AA5D-4B16929782EB.jpeg
645217C4-97F2-49A7-B633-FD077359BD0F.jpeg
6916F8AF-EF2D-4E08-B7F3-55ABABF2CDB9.jpeg
7BE0C348-0E8B-496C-A84F-B144D8E97D0F.jpeg

Last edited:
Painted and re assembled. It WORKS!!!
The green didn’t come out perfect but dang close compared to the practically brand new solenoid I was able to get my hands on. I am on the search for the brushes as mine a nearly gone but good enough to bench test. View attachment 3244854View attachment 3244856View attachment 3244857
Dan,

Maybe reach out to an old school starter rebuild shop or WMS Western Motors Service Co. - http://old.wms1.com/wms1/ ask to speak to Rick for the brushes.

Found the correct brushes for the starter. So this thing is practically brand new!!
Got it on the truck and it turns over like a champ. But that’s all I’m getting right now. I did rebuild the pump so I’m looking into that now. It was driving before so it can’t be much. Haha
I hope ….

0BE137AB-B911-43C4-88F7-B49DC6BBE61E.jpeg
C3D0E303-B125-4D1C-BC56-D2089862A1DD.jpeg
0FEF5C66-F5DD-4A6E-9463-CC8DBC1EC056.jpeg

Last edited:
That is impressive! 👍

That is impressive! 👍
Thanks!!!!
I was able to get it started. Wasn’t getting fuel very well at first. played with the pump and It’s working good getting fuel all the way to the carb. Had the truck idling for a while but whenever I pressed the gas to quick I’d hear some pops and it would act like it’s dyeing. I’m thinking I have a distributor issue. I’m pretty sure it got bumped a bit and from what I’m finding online I need to check the points and so forth.
Time to step back again and research until I feel like I know what the heck I’m doing. Haha

Make sure your accelerator pump in the carb gives a squirt of fuel when you give it throttle. Can give you similar symptoms as the timing being off. Great job on the starter.

Last edited:
Make sure your accelerator pump in the carb gives a squirt of fuel when you give it throttle. Can give you the similar symptoms as the timing being off. Great job on the starter.
Thanks!!!
I actually did notice that was working just fine. That’s why I’m leaning towards the distributor. I’m not sure the best way to inspect the distributor is yet. Once I get an idea where to start. I think I’ll take that apart and at least make it right and check that off the list.

I'd put a timing light on it just to see where it's at. If it starts and idles well at least you know your points and condenser are doing their thing. Retarded timing can make it stumble like you describe. So can a vacuum leak.

The old distributors are fairly simple. What usually goes bad over a lot of miles is bushings, cracked insulation on the wires, the mechanical advance worn or gummed up and a blown vacuum advance can if you have one. Get quality cap, rotor, points and condenser. Most of these items available today are VERY poor quality and often bad out of the box. Especially condensers. Sometimes the old originals are better than the new ones.

I'd put a timing light on it just to see where it's at. If it starts and idles well at least you know your points and condenser are doing their thing. Retarded timing can make it stumble like you describe. So can a vacuum leak.

The old distributors are fairly simple. What usually goes bad over a lot of miles is bushings, cracked insulation on the wires, the mechanical advance worn or gummed up and a blown vacuum advance can if you have one. Get quality cap, rotor, points and condenser. Most of these items available today are VERY poor quality and often bad out of the box. Especially condensers. Sometimes the old originals are better than the new ones.
Ok thanks. That gives me a lot to look at.
I’ll update when I’m able to take it out and check things out.
To be clear it had started today after getting some fuel through it. but then was struggling to idle well and like I said if I pressed the throttle just to quick it would pop and try to die. And when I say quick I don’t mean super quick but it was enough to cause this.
Then I turned it off and couldn’t get it to start again. I looked at the carb and pump and they seem to be working.

Thanks!!!
It’s was your lead to use Rick at WMS. He hooked me right up!!
Thank you for that!! I owe you somehow. Haha
Sweet! I’m glad he got you fixed up! You owe me nothing. That’s part of being in this community. I’ve been helped by a ton of people who I’ll never meet. I was just hoping to document where you got it for anyone who reads this thread in the future.

Well I was able to quickly take off the distributor. To be honest I’m kind of afraid to tear into this thing!! 😂 I’m working to get some feeler gauges and check the gap.
Is there any other suggestions for testing this thing possibly without taking it completely apart. How can I verify the condenser is ok? Or even the advancer for that matter.

AC758E53-32D7-4588-A242-09E98AC02024.jpeg
0D40D8C7-1067-474B-9146-832AEE25ABED.jpeg
4185DA29-E29E-4D8C-B1DB-F61E10500971.jpeg
EFA57F50-723C-441E-81F3-F1EA365A9CDA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom