Builds 60 guy does a 100 series LC... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well Alita just had her oil changed last night after moving to the 6500 mile interval (about 300 miles early as I am heading out of town tonight) as suggested by BlackStone Labs.
Oil sample went out this morning so we shall see how it comes back.

Ok so back from the trip to Hurricane, UT. Put over 1000 miles on the truck in that time between drive there and back and then shuttling around to the mtb trails.
Put the can of systems cleaner in and then realized that my gas cap wasn't on completely tight.
So now I get the P0171 only intermittently instead of constantly. Before I could clear the code and then would get it again (longer drives) within 15 minutes. Now it only pops up once I have shut the engine off. I am wondering if the gas cap needs to be replaced as that might explain why it shows up after about 15 minutes, i.e. the tank has built up pressure? Could also be the fuel filter?

P0171 code seems like it can be lots of things; MAF, Bank 1 O2 sensor, Fuel Filter, Fuel pump, Dirty/Bad Injector, Fuel rail, Vacuum leak, etc. So wondering if there is any way to diagnose further without just throwing money at things.

Well that really wasn't how I wanted to start this month off, but I guess it is what it is...
Yesterday was at the Ex's place to take the dogs out like I normally do on the weekends. Get done with a walk and let them in the garage like normal and started to walk in to the house like normal to give them after Dad-time cookies when for whatever reason I turned around and saw the below.

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Looks like the 1k+ mile trip last weekend to Hurricane, Utah ended up being more than the steering rack could take. Not sure if the seals on the TRE on that side just completely blew or if it is the rack itself but she turned over 207k on the way back so definitely on the "older" side of usage. I had noticed that she was making a little bit of noise this week but leak is down low after pulling the skid plate and looking around (no wetness or anything up by steering pump and now lines looking like they blew).

So she will be getting towed to a clubmembers house that does work for our club as I am currently without garage or tools to handle on my own. Still haven't handled the P0171 code either so there will likely be a few things handled while I am having him do the rack or TREs (whichever it is).

So after waiting for Lakeland Toyota to recalibrate the GPS on their drunk donkey shipping service I finally got parts at the end of last week. Alita has got her new fan bracket, serpentine belt and now new Power Steering Pump assembly installed and working. Ryan took her out for a nice long drive yesterday before handing the keys back over to me and seemingly there were not issues or leaks. Now comes the wait to see if anything pops up but FINGERS CROSSED this is all that she needs for the time being!

I literally ordered parts (Belt, fan bracket and o2 sensor) from Partsouq in the afternoon on a Thursday. Then the very next day, less than 12hrs later I got a call from Ryan with what I needed and placed the order with Lakeland Toyota (ToyotaPartsOverstock.com) and was confirmed the following monday evening and processed. I had the shipment from Partsouq in my hands the following Wednesday evening. It took a full week after that to receive parts from Lakeland Toyota. So for this, yet another win for Partsouq and Lakeland/ToyotaPartsOverstock is being benched.

Ok so after moving into my new place last weekend, THAT ACTUALLY HAS A GARAGE!!!, and finally getting to a point where I feel settled I tackled the Bank1 Sensor1 O2 sensor for the P0171 code.

Since the code can be a whole variety of things I figured I would start with this as it was close to same cost as the MAF Sensor, but harder to get to. Luckily the sensor was not rusted or seized at all, it was actually harder to get my hands into a position where I could get to the plug than it was to remove and replace the sensor. Unfortunately, CEL is still there with a P0171 code, even after clearing code through my Scangauge II.

So this morning I ordered a new MAF from McGeorge Toyota and should have it here in about a week. Hopefully that fixes the code, if not then I will have to start going down the line of checking the coil packs, plugs, injectors, fuel filter, etc. as those are all things that could fall under that code.

Since I have no record of the plugs ever being changed, I will dig through records to confirm, I may go that route while I wait for the MAF to show up. Since I will just grab those locally from O'Reilly or NAPA or wherever, thoughts on Denso vs. NGK? Does it really matter?

1620323298003.png

Ok so just got around to replacing the PCV valve and hose today.
When I went to remove the hose, the side on the intake split from the end of the hose for a good 3". PCV grommet was definitely bad as it came out in multiple large pieces (thankfully) and PCV had gunk all over and in it. Hopefully this is what is causing the P0171 code.
Once replaced I have done some runs and code has not come back. Now I am doing @2001LC cleaning procedure. Currently doing the Seafoam fogging setup, have two cans of 44k to throw in the tank (which I am at a quarter currently) and then will go from there.
Tomorrow evening I will likely pull plugs and coils to inspect and see how things are looking. I have no documentation of the plugs ever being replaced so I will probably end up replacing them in the near future.

Last edited:
Without rereading thread, so this may have covered. Make sure ECT (engine coolant temp) running 184f to 187F. Log fuel trims while cruising on flat HWY along with ECT.

So code did resurface yesterday as I was headed up the mountain to go ride with my buddy. So on to the next thing, hoping to get some time with my buddy this week to do some more in-depth troubleshooting. Unfortunately, one of the recent Win10 updates has caused issues with my TIS Techstream v13 and so now whenever I try to get into the live monitor section it crashes.

Interesting development was that yesterday on the way back down the mountain she threw a new code.... P0301.
After getting home and letting the engine cool I pulled the #1 cylinder coil and plug to investigate.
#1 Plug

#1 coil pack

The plug was IN THERE and still had the original grey sealant stuff still around the threads so this confirms my belief that I am still running factory plugs. So I will stop by the local O'Reilly's today as their website shows they have Denso and NGK stuff in stock and ready for pickup. Will replace all my plugs this week and see if the misfire code resurfaces. If it does on that cylinder then I will know that the coil pack is bad and grab a new one (which I might anyways).

Thing is that I have noticed a rough idle having developed in the last few weeks. Truck hasn't lost any power, no rough feeling any other times, just at idle. Thinking that I am going to order the new coil pack as that #1 coil could be going but just not be throwing a code, which from reading seems to be a pretty good consensus.

So code did resurface yesterday as I was headed up the mountain to go ride with my buddy. So on to the next thing, hoping to get some time with my buddy this week to do some more in-depth troubleshooting. Unfortunately, one of the recent Win10 updates has caused issues with my TIS Techstream v13 and so now whenever I try to get into the live monitor section it crashes.

Interesting development was that yesterday on the way back down the mountain she threw a new code.... P0301.
After getting home and letting the engine cool I pulled the #1 cylinder coil and plug to investigate.
#1 Plug

#1 coil pack

The plug was IN THERE and still had the original grey sealant stuff still around the threads so this confirms my belief that I am still running factory plugs. So I will stop by the local O'Reilly's today as their website shows they have Denso and NGK stuff in stock and ready for pickup. Will replace all my plugs this week and see if the misfire code resurfaces. If it does on that cylinder then I will know that the coil pack is bad and grab a new one (which I might anyways).

Thing is that I have noticed a rough idle having developed in the last few weeks. Truck hasn't lost any power, no rough feeling any other times, just at idle. Thinking that I am going to order the new coil pack as that #1 coil could be going but just not be throwing a code, which from reading seems to be a pretty good consensus.
Swap coil with #3, see if code moves! You can also check it's fires (sparks) the plugs.

001.JPG
Plug are tested in 3 ways, without specialized equipment:
1) Gap std 1.1mm. Replace if 1.2mm>
2) Check that it fires (sparks).
3) Ground.
Spark plugs test & cleaning (2).JPG

spark test.JPG

Yup that is on the list of things to go through and check. I am curious if the code even returns as it has only happened that once. I do have the cans of 44k in a tank of Techron right now as I am running through things and did your SeaFoam fogging on Saturday. So wondering if maybe that is why the code threw. If the code pops up again I will swap the coils to see if it moves. Just ordered two new Denso coil packs to have on hand as I will be driving to Colorado (from NV) for the 4th and don't want to run into any issues on the road (will plan to have spare coils in the vehicle).

Plugs will get replaced regardless as they are definitely not new and could use it as standard PM since she just turned over 208k. Crappy part about this is that my tools are split between my new place and my buddies place as they were storing for me for a while. So I need to drop by and grab a few things but need to get on scheduling to have everything moved over (need their trailer) some point in the near future.

Ok planning to try and start tackling this tonight. Have trip to Fruita planned for the 4th and something that I really can't miss.
Finally got some time last night to dick around with Techstream since anytime I ran v13 and tried to get the Data List to pop-up it would crash to the desktop. Uninstalled v13 seeing as this seems to be a v13 specific issue with Win10 drivers, had saved an old install package of v12.2x from when I first purchased my cable and installed that one and low and behold Techstream is working again.

Playing with settings last night and in the Live Data List I was getting ALL KINDS of misfires at idle. I need to go through and check the EWMA rate for misfires to ensure that I am actually seeing them properly in all cylinders because that seems odd to me that this would happen on all cylinders but one (think it was #6 that didn't have any misfires). This is what corresponds with the rough idle/stumble that I feel, she runs just fine at normal driving but need to get Techstream up and save a log while I go out for a drive. Fuel trims were consistent but ST was 19% and LT was 23% if I remember correctly, which from some quick reading seems like it is out of spec. But now that I have Techstream up and running I need to get some dedicated seat time to start ruling things out.

Regardless the plugs are getting replaced seeing as they likely never have been based on above pics. I have two Denso coil packs coming as test items just in case I do have an actual misfire at one of the cylinders.

Alright scheduling some time with my dude on Thursday.

Connected Techstream on the way back to work from home and did a couple recordings.. Got a P0300 code as I was seeing misfires all over the place while idling, nothing while driving, no stumbling or stalling just stumbles a bit and rough idle.

FTs are #1 - 19.49S/21.82L , #2 - 19.49S/21.82L while idling. Doesn't move or jump around during idle but does once moving.
Once driving
FTs are #1 - 3.87S/19.49L, #2 - -0.04S/17.15L at 1588RPM
FTs are #1 - 11.68S/21.83L, #2 - 11.68S/21.83L at 1084RPM
FTs are #1 - -4.72S/17.15L, #2 - -4.72S/17.15L at 1837RPM
So what I am seeing is that below 1500RPM the FTs are kind of all over the place.

Other thing I am seeing is that the O2FT B1S2 is reading 99.15% so wondering if that sensor is shot and causing issues.
Also Cylinder #1 is consistently seeing misfire events, unfortunately with v12.24 of Techstream I don't have the ability to do a EWMA event lookup that would show me for sure which cylinder is having the misfire but this seems pretty consistent when at idle.

How are your MAF and TPS readings looking during the test? What are the O2 sensors reporting? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? When was the fuel filter changed?

MAF is brand new Toyota OEM, TPS is not something that I was looking at so I will have to go back through the recording to look at the numbers.
I have checked for vacuum leaks, which is how I found the PCV was leaking and replaced that, PCV grommet and hose.
Fuel filter and pump were other things I was thinking of based on the fuel trims as potentially causing issues.

Started replacing plugs tonight and got most of the way done but with limited tools I couldn't reach #7 so that will have to wait until I can get with my buddy.
Started replacing on the passenger side, got #2 replaced, #4 the plug barely wanted to budge so I wasn't going to try and force it with just a short 3/8" ratchet so I was going to skip but then as I was replacing the coil pack screw, luck would have it that it sheared off in the valve cover!! *(#$*@

So now I got to bike to work tomorrow and see about getting to my buddies to grab my EZ Out set to attempt to remove. Since its a 10mm bolt I am assuming it is M10x1.25 or M10x1.5. Will have to see if I can get one from the local Toyota dealer or maybe my tech buddy has something IF I can get it out.
Since it is 10pm I called it a night instead of tempting murphy more and potentially breaking something else...

Just incase anyone is wondering... P/N for the coil pack bolt is 91641-H0625 going to be calling local dealership to see if they have some in stock. Probably will grab 8 and just replace all of them since they are less than $1/ea. on most websites.

Note: Just talked to dealership and part is superseded by P/N 90080-11590. Went ahead and ordered 8 at $1.99/ea.

Last edited:
So after working with my guy and having him look at the fuel trims and seeing how she idles, he is with me that the fuel pump is on its way out. So ordered a new Denso pump and OE fuel filter for good measure (from Joey @NLXTACY at Wits' End). New pump should be here today and everything else has already been received (got new OE gasket for fuel pump to tank) so tonight will be the night.

Fingers crossed this solves the issues otherwise we are going to have to do some more deep diving to see what is going on (possible intake leak that I am not finding, injector issue, etc.). Really want this handled as I have a big trip to Colorado to see my new lady for the 4th and really don't want to have to rent a vehicle to take out there.

LOL... well to add more fun to this, was reading through some stumble/stutter threads and noticed a couple guys post about injector grommets/insulators at the intake being bad and leaking. Swore I had checked but apparently not. #8 and #5 cylinders are definitely leaking. :bang: :bang:

Doesn't look to be an overly involved job and something that can be done in a couple hours. But damn I swore I checked them. So question is do I wait for order of OE from Partsouq or should LAPS ones be fine? Local dealership won't match prices and want $6/ea. for the three pieces (o-ring, upper grommet, insulator) when Partsouq wants less than $2/ea.

Found the post I was looking for....

Last edited:
So after replacing the injector stuff this weekend with another buddy, that didn't fix the issue. Was able to get some time with my tech buddy and sure enough, intake had a gross leak. Working through everything with him that I had replaced, he reassured me that it was all sound logic and stuff that was at that cusp of needing replacement due to mileage (currently sitting at just over 208k). So I paid the piper at the dealership on Monday to get the parts the next day and had them last night. Took it to buddies house and well....

Alright she is purring like a kitten! Thanks to my buddy, we literally had everything off, cleaned up and back on with new manifold and throttle body gaskets in 1.5hrs. I was actually pretty astounded at how quick and relatively easy the job is. Took her for a nice long ride last night up the mountain to put her under some load then some freeway time and stop and go in town with a few different shut downs (one to stop and grab some dinner) and no more codes or anything.

Once we got the intake off he could tell that the last shop had reused my old gasket so the insulator between the two gaskets literally was broken and falling apart on both sides with drivers side being the worst, hence the P0171. Took special care to make sure that no pieces fell inside, cleaned up the mating surface and back together she went. Do some more driving around today but seems like she is tip top for my trip on Friday!! YEAH!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom