5.9 cummins and a nv4500 in FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to swap a 5.9 and a nv4500 into my fj62.
I will need pedal assembly info and info on the transfer to use. Any help is appreciated.
Stock gears. Spring over. 33 tires

You may be able to use a pedal assembly from a 60 series but I'm not 100% on that, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Here's my $.02 on the transfer case as there are many options out there. Since you have the NV4500, I'd go with an NP205 and possibly look at a doubler (NP205/NP203 combo) while you're at it depending on what you want to do with the truck. Yes, I understand that your 60 has an offset rear axle but if you ran a CV shaft, you shouldn't have a problem with it. I have an full float 80 axle in the rear of my FJ40 and the compound angle has not been an issue. I talked to Tom Woods about it and he agreed. And yes, I run highway speeds all the time.

If you don't want to run a USA transfer, there are adapters to mate the 60's series transfer cases to your NV4500. Personally, I'd rather spend the money on a doubler setup but if you have the correct transfer case already this option may make more sense for you.

I have same combo in my 80. 5.9/nv4500/split case. You should be able to use 60 pedals. Quit a few 80 running 5.9 now so there is plenty of good info on the swap. @The Phoenician has 4bt/nv4500/split case in his 62.

I've been happy with my 4bt/nv4500/split case set up. It's as close to Toyota original parts as I could have kept it without breaking the bank. It has taken me everywhere I wanted to go and was able to tow an 80 in the sand for 50 miles without issue. The Toyota split case is strong, much more than I originally thought.

Decide what you're building it for and go from there.

Thank you all for your help! So the 60 series transfer will hold up you think. Mostly road use but when I offroad I do it for real. I would like it to hold up to towing too so I could get the most out of that 5.9.

Thank you all for your help! So the 60 series transfer will hold up you think. Mostly road use but when I offroad I do it for real. I would like it to hold up to towing too so I could get the most out of that 5.9.

I've had no problems yet, I figure I'm currently putting out around 200hp and around 4-500lb feet of torque with a 4 cylinder so it's probably harder on the transfer case then the same power out of a 6. I've been off road for probably 1/3 of the 8,000km i've put on it.

I have a habit of drifting corners in it too, which I'm sure is not easy on anything...

You will never get the full use of the 5.9 out of the 60 towing.. But it will get the full use out of the 60 series.

I really like the toyota axle/front differential, but the rear axle/diff (semi floater only) to me is nothing special. Would swapping in a dana make the alignment better? But you would need a dana 60 or such and do they make shorter axles to be able to cut down the width?

After having seen the 5.9 and so many threads on here over the years with swaps my biggest concern with the 5.9 is I feel it's just too big(tall and powerful) for a 60 series. Hard to believe..

I don't like SOA on a 60. I like lifted springs. I feel it makes a 60 too committed to offload and adds a lot of instability to an otherwise not so stable rig anyhow. And from what I have seen SOA is almost always required to run the 5.9. or 4Bt.

The 80 series are so much different with the raised coils and 5.9. They suit it better than the 60 series does.

It's the old obtainable reasoning the thing you can find is the 5.9 locally.

But not only do you end up doing a big engine conversion you also have to do a major suspension change.

if you're going to install a cummins, might as well plan an SOA and rear axle swap to full floater. I have an 80 series rear axle with arb lockers, handles the power very well and gives me peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom