Events/Trails 4th Annual 200LCDC Event (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We’ve been watching this for a week now. Concerned about those being evacuated. Had a feeling this might happen.

Dry, lots of kindling, high temps, high winds. Difficult area to access. Monsoon season may bring enough rain but also brings lightning. As was said, these fires may not directly impact the areas we’re interested. But of course the forest closures will.

If change is necessary, we’re in.

Black bear pass is CLOSED
Ophir pass is NOW OPEN PER USFS - call ahead
Portions of engineer and cinnamon are in the CLOSURE AREA
Bullion lake. CLOSED
clear lake CLOSED

Currently OPEN
Maggie gulch
Minnie gulch
Alpine loop

Looks like some evacuation notices are being lifted (great news for those people) and 550 is or will soon be reopened. Still something to keep an eye on but this is encouraging. OTOH, the fire has burned over 23K acres and according to a report a few hours ago was only 15% contained.

Looks like some evacuation notices are being lifted (great news for those people) and 550 is or will soon be reopened. Still something to keep an eye on but this is encouraging. OTOH, the fire has burned over 23K acres and according to a report a few hours ago was only 15% contained.

Thankfully...tundra doesn’t burn easily. :)
But wow.
Hoping that masterpiece of a landscape escapes calamity. High altitude stuff grows sooo slowly.

Hope...
:(

Hi, I am coming to the Telluride event and looking forward to meeting you all. As a brit, I am baffled by the radio options in the USA. I want to make sure that I can participate in any needed radio communications during the event. Do I need FRS, CB or something else? Any advice welcome.

I have a CB and FRS. I will bet that FRS will be the most popular option. Welcome to the party! :beer:

$30 should get you a pair of FRS/GMRS radios.

Hopefully someone will have a HAM radio and tell me if something is important on the other radio. This is the only group that I wheel with that uses GRMS/FRS. It may be popular in other groups.

I have talked to people across flat area without a repeater at 100 Miles, 25 miles in Colorado mtn terrain and 400 miles with a repeater.

I also have a CB for when I lead trail runs at TLCA events, which is typically CB or HAM

FRS/GMRS has to be better than CB. I have mobile and handheld CB and HAM radios in the car. Four Radios in my vehicle is enough :D

CB is useless. I’ll have ham and FRS/GMRS but we almost always have issues with one brand of FRS not working with another... or maybe it’s just the configuration. It would be wise to have a couple hams in each group.

Last edited:
I have a CB and FRS. I will bet that FRS will be the most popular option. Welcome to the party! :beer:

It’s always helpful if the trail leader and tail gunner have HAM, because it’s usually the only radio type that holds clear coms around turns and at distance as the line of trucks stretches out.

I will have three handheld hams I can loan if we’re on the same trail. This allows you to at least listen in if not licensed...or transmit if an emergency.

Hopefully someone will have a HAM radio and tell me if something is important on the other radio. This is the only group that I wheel with that uses GRMS/FRS. It may be popular in other groups.

I have talked to people across flat area without a repeater at 100 Miles, 25 miles in Colorado mtn terrain and 400 miles with a repeater.

I also have a CB for when I lead trail runs at TLCA events, which is typically CB or HAM

FRS/GMRS has to be better than CB. I have mobile and handheld CB and HAM radios in the car. Four Radios in my vehicle is enough :D

Romer, I’ll have my license by then. Maybe we can pair up on some trails as leader or tail g. :)

Looking forward to this trip!!

Just in case anyone with a FR rack is interested in a Rotopax 4gal with side/top mount, I'm going with the LRA 24 gal to solve my fuel needs and am looking to unload this. It's new and I can deliver to you in CO during this event... If I do that, it will be used once on HITR since the LRA won't be installed prior to the trip :) Whole setup if I deliver is $250. $275 if you want me to ship it for you. $325 new.

It's listed in classifieds as well.
For Sale - Rotopax 4 gal + Frontrunner side/top mount

enhance

enhance

I have my HAM and will be using that along with other two way comms. I know on a couple trails last year in Breck we used HAM and there were enough radios to make sure everyone could at least listen.

I'll have a spare Ham radio as well.

What frequency do you typically use?

Frequencies can be all over the map. Practically endlessly tweakable. For example... At Cruise Moab a a while ago, there were probably 13 trail groups going places at the same time. Each was on a different frequency. They aren’t set channels like FRS or CB. You actually key in the frequency you want with many more digits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom