4Runners - Do They Count? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah we never heard the rest of the trip...unless your driving reeeaaallly slow!

After a stop at Vedauwoo to check out the rocks, we continued west.
My Mom was digging the scenery and the vast expanses visible as you roll I-80 through WY.
We had great weather and it was sunny that Friday. When we would stop she commented on how it didn't feel too cold. I told her thought she would like winters in UT vs. Chicago.

We made it to my sister's place around 6, and her youngest boy was outside practicing hockey shots on goal. The rest of her family started trickling in. I got a chance to hit the local pool for a swim with the local masters group. Mom was in good spirits. We made it!

Saturday came and I got another swim in. It felt good after sitting/driving for 3 days.
It was also the last of the nice weather before the cold and snow blew in. After about 10 AM you could feel the breeze bringing in the cooler air.

After swimming, hockey practices and a variety of other household chores at my sister's place (flat tire fix on their mini-van, new starter on their Power Stroke), Mom woke up and we get ready to go see her new place. She had ordered some things to start up her new dwelling and we opened a bunch of boxes and packed these things in with the items I brought in her 4Runner from IL.

Eventually we made it to the place where Mom would be living. It is a senior living center and folks can live independently and then get care as needed. We walked in and it was a nice place, clean, friendly people, etc. I don't know if this will make sense, but it felt like when you are dropping your kid off for their first day at a new school. I have never had any trouble bringing my boy to his 1st day of school, but here I just wanted to put Mom back in the truck and leave. I didn't want to to do it. I was worried about her making new friends and fitting in. I just wanted to call the wife and tell her I was bringing Mom home with me and we would figure things out. The trip went fine, all the logistics went fine, but this was turning out to be way harder than I anticipated. I forced myself to start bringing things in and bringing them up to her unit. As I watched her slowly moving around and listened to her I remembered she could never live at our place, she would probably fall down our stairs immediately. So I just put on my happiest face and kept plugging along. Her little apartment is nice and bright. Lots of S facing windows and a view of the Wasatch mountains. By the time we finished bringing her things in they were serving dinner and I thought my sister and I could have dinner with her there. Mom wasn't ready for that, she wanted to go back to sister's place and eat there. It would be a few more days before the movers showed up with her big things, so until then she was staying with sis.

It was a significant experience. It gave me a whole new appreciation of the aging process, our health and mobility, and ultimately our mortality. I feel so fortunate my folks are still alive. It made me want to take good care of myself so my boy can enjoy some good times with his parents. At least now Mom is closer to me, so we are looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with her.
That might be more detail than you all were after, and it turned out to be a different trip than I expected, but thanks for letting me share. It felt good to reflect on things...

Last edited:
After that last post I remembered a post I made about my Dad (14 years ago?!?):

Thank you for sharing a glimps into what a lot of us will eventually deal with, well written.

Asking for my Mom.
We are about to start a road trip to move her close to my oldest sister. She has been in her current place since 1978. She is not exactly thrilled.
Anyway, she knows my fondness for Pigs, and I have been telling her that her ‘06 4Runner is like a Mini-Pig. @FJBen called it a Pig-Lite.
If there are no objections from the Knights here, I will document our travels here. Don’t know anyone in the 4Runner section.,,

Bumping an oldie here...

Looks like Mom might be done driving the 4Runner. It has stupid low miles on it, I think <60k.

If you all were faced w/ selling a 4WD Toyota in this market, what route do you think would bring the most $$$ for Mom?

Land Cruisers are 30% more than 4Runners

-30% more initial purchase
-30% more gas
-30% beefier
-30% more expense parts
-30% better ride

I’ve put 300k+ on 3.4l/2.7l Tacoma’s and 4Runners. Nothing wrong with them at all.

my first Toyota \/

View attachment 2114949
Cool, back when you had hair.

The 4Runner is still in SLC, so I found a rent-a-wreck I can do a one-way rental with.

“Weapon” of choice:
DB26485F-B343-4A6F-954B-D47AC29A852D.jpeg

Is she coming back to CO. for good?
No, I am taking her to Salt Lake, to live near my oldest sister.
She is going back to live at the senior center I brought her to in 2019.

Mom did really well today. She was a trooper on the road. She even slept a little! This meant there was a pause in the "conversation", for which I was grateful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom