4Runner Rear Axle Assembly compatibility? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I know this should be well known, and I thought I knew for certain that a 2003-2009 4Runner complete axle assembly will fit a 2006 GX, but when I search on ebay, it does not include the GX in the compatibility list, so it made me doubt eveything I thought I knew about this world. Can anoyone confirm that a 2003-2007 4Runner rear axle assembly with 3.73 will be a direct swap into my 2006 GX? Is there anything i should look for???

So, I know this should be well known, and I thought I knew for certain that a 2003-2009 4Runner complete axle assembly will fit a 2006 GX, but when I search on ebay, it does not include the GX in the compatibility list, so it made me doubt eveything I thought I knew about this world. Can anoyone confirm that a 2003-2007 4Runner rear axle assembly with 3.73 will be a direct swap into my 2006 GX? Is there anything i should look for???
A couple questions for you.

Is the 2006 GX470 is non KDSS?

You are not interested in the stronger 8.2” rear diff?

I’m not an authority on the 4Runners, but one reason it may not show up as compatible is because all GX470s use rear air springs whereas 2003-09 4Runners was an option…just a guess on why.

However, it’s my understanding that most 4R and FJC rear axles for the 120 platform fit the GX470. There are exceptions like some manual transmissions or 4 cyl engines might have a different gear ratio.

And check out mods:axles [GX Offroad] - https://lexusgxor.com/mods:axles for general info on rear axle upgrade options

Last edited:
The only issues are KDSS and spring perches.

If you have KDSS you’d be better to look at TRD off-road 5th gen pulls as they have the KDSS mounts.

If you have swapped to springs they bolt up and are the stronger 8.2 plus have a factory locker you can get wired for about $100.

Downside, they’re expensive.

The other KDSS source is GX460 rear, which may have springs or air, but is the wrong ratio so you have to regear or also buy the front diff, which is a nice mild 3.90 gear set.

If you don’t have KDSS there are tons of axles that work, just match the gears and spring perches.

If you’re gonna go to the bother of swapping I would suggest going to a 5th gen pull that will be the 8.2.

Only additional 8.2 issue is that the rotors are a little different. Either source one with rotors or buy a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom