4lo trac off check engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Jumped in the car this morning to head to work and drove off then i see 4lo is flashing and solid trac off check engine is on. Car drives with high rpm so i think its stuck in 4lo... i didnt switch 4l for couple years...
Read somewhere on tundra forum that people had it at low temps upon starting up and then upon didconnecting battery it was going away. Well i was getting late so had to drive 20 miles 60mph at around 3k rpm...
Temps in am were 40s when i started my LC no prewarming

20170302_065724.jpg

Did you switch it to 4LO just before this happened? Or was it never in 4LO and this occurred?
I just started the car in hte morning it was the first thing I saw. Drove normal before. I have not been 4wheeling or using low range for years

Seems like AIP failure on tundras causes it. I have not been able to find on land cruisers but tundras got 10yr warranty on it. I am just over 60K.. will read the code and drop it off to dealer later today

Did you check the position of your 4hi / 4lo switch?

Yes it was 4h. I tried switching it 4l 4h but it didnt do anything. Dif block rcts all buttons work, turn on/off engine no change

I have this exact issue post Kooks headers, cats install - stealership says one air pump has failed and the second is below spec.... but waiting for my indy shop to check it our next week....

Yes it was 4h. I tried switching it 4l 4h but it didnt do anything. Dif block rcts all buttons work, turn on/off engine no change

I figured you must have checked that, but it was worth a shot. Bummer.

Let us know what the resolution is. IIRC, there was a similar issue with the 4.7l V8 on the 4Runner, and unfortunately it required the engine to be pulled to replace the pump. As a result, it cost $$$$$.

Doesn't sound like it's actually in 4LO. Pretty sure you'd be above 3k RPMs at 60MPH if you can even go that fast in 4LO. It's really obvious when you are in 4LO as you'll hear some transfer case whine and your shift points will be at ridiculously low MPH.

If it is the AIP, and it is out of warranty, you can bypass it:
New Tundra Air Injection System Bypass Module

Air Induction Pump Bypass Module - AIP Valve Bypass - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
Search Tundra AIP bypass for lots of information. Others I believe have swapped in a GM AIP which is much cheaper.

If/when it happens to me, I plan to do the bypass. Good luck!

IIRC, you can only use the bypass if when it breaks, it breaks in the correct position (I forget if it was open or closed). But I may be misremembering what I read, so take that with the appropriate pound of salt.

It ticks me off that Toyota didn't fix this problem with the 5.6l. They had this problem with the 4.7l and you would think they would have either 1) fixed it so it can't happen or 2) made it easier/cheaper to fix if it does happen.

Sigh.

Oh well. Guess I'm glad I bought the Toyota Platinum extended warranty...

IIRC, you can only use the bypass if when it breaks, it breaks in the correct position (I forget if it was open or closed). But I may be misremembering what I read, so take that with the appropriate pound of salt.

It ticks me off that Toyota didn't fix this problem with the 5.6l. They had this problem with the 4.7l and you would think they would have either 1) fixed it so it can't happen or 2) made it easier/cheaper to fix if it does happen.

Sigh.

Oh well. Guess I'm glad I bought the Toyota Platinum extended warranty...

Half right. If the exhaust valve is open it will throw codes still unless you buy the plates to block in too (discussed in above links).

IMO, it should fall under the emissions warranty, because that is all the aip does.

Ok so i read a code with Bluetooth scanner P033D. Looks like misfire?? Use shell gas regular or less commonly 76 reg as well. Should i just clear it and see if cure happens?

Ok it is rat damage. It chewed a knock sensor wire under intake. 900+$

Ouch. :bang:

Time for one of these guys:

giphy.gif

Ok it is rat damage. It chewed a knock sensor wire under intake. 900+$

The harness is like $40. $900 sounds crazy. You do have to remove the intake manifold, but it is a 2 hr repair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom