Builds 4Door FJ40 Build (FZJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In trying to address my soon to be wheel position issue.... I was talking to a 4-wheel guy in Australia that claims to have moved his front axle forward on his 80 frame by moving the control arm mounting hole forward 30mm. He was claiming that nothing else needs to change. He said to weld in a little plate to cover the old hole and drill a new one 30mm forward.

Has anyone heard of this before?

View attachment 1811736
Yes this a very common Mod for guy running 37s on a 80. And he is correct you can go 11/4" forward with no other mods .
short of cutting everything off the front and starting over that 11/4" is all you gunna get. JMHO

That was my first thought too. I called a few Land Cruiser shops and they all said to replace it, they said bending and re bending weakens it and for the price of a used one it's not worth taking the chance. Although i guess I am taking a chance with an unknown used one :)

-Derek
I have bent two front control arms & three rears. I just call Death Valley Paul ( find him in the parting out section of classifieds) He in the LA area has good prices and fair shipping. And never had a problem with a used one it easy to see if it bent. and Paul wont send you a bent one.
PS diggin your build keep the posts coming Thanks

Absolutely love this build! So glad I just stumbled across it. It's awesome you've been able to accomplish so much in your home garage too! I have a similar setup at home and never feel like I have enough room. No more excuses! Haha. Congrats and your progress so far!
Thanks, I think the key is to try and sell the parts you don't need as you go, sell them cheap or give them away but get them out. Having said that I think I sold or gave away a few things I should have kept :)

This is so close to the median voyage.... this is so very cool.
I would like to see this in person someday. Im like 3 hrs from you.
I know, this is getting exciting, I just dropped off the rear drive shaft to get extended. It was part 80 and part 40, the splines seems to work go together just fine it was not long enough. I told my neighbor that I would have it all together in 2-3 days after paint. LOL wishful thinking for sure, and man was I wrong. I am hoping to drive it down the street by Christmas Day. I guess I should work on getting my 1972 FJ40 registered in California :)

Great story for you build... I just purchased one of Aqualu prototype's for going on the FJ80 frame, it is one that is 7" wider then stock and is the whole length of the frame so I will not have to cut off. In the process of gathering all of my parts... Here is a pic of the body I am starting with...
img-2931.jpg

I know, this is getting exciting, I just dropped off the rear drive shaft to get extended. It was part 80 and part 40, the splines seems to work go together just fine it was not long enough. I told my neighbor that I would have it all together in 2-3 days after paint. LOL wishful thinking for sure, and man was I wrong. I am hoping to drive it down the street by Christmas Day. I guess I should work on getting my 1972 FJ40 registered in California :)
Hopefully not with South Bay driveline. Ugh

Great story for you build... I just purchased one of Aqualu prototype's for going on the FJ80 frame, it is one that is 7" wider then stock and is the whole length of the frame so I will not have to cut off. In the process of gathering all of my parts... Here is a pic of the body I am starting with...View attachment 2156274

That's awesome, good for you.

Did you also buy the hood and bib or are you going to stretch out the stock ones? what is that access panel in the rear?

-Derek

That's awesome, good for you.

Did you also buy the hood and bib or are you going to stretch out the stock ones? what is that access panel in the rear?

-Derek
For my hood I picked up 2 and will make one 7" wider... I bought there bib but I am not sure I like how it looks with the grill... I think they may have made one for Redline that has the headlights wider I like that look better I may go that route... Because the body is longer they put in 2 storage boxes behind the wheels... I am thinking I am going to build a bulkhead behind the back seat and then buy one of there fj45 cab panel and stretch 7" and make a 4 door hardtop the bed would be about 4 1\2 feet long... Here is a pic of the bib and a grill, let me know what you think?
20190417_170003_HDR.jpg
20191205_121950.jpg

For my hood I picked up 2 and will make one 7" wider... I bought there bib but I am not sure I like how it looks with the grill... I think they may have made one for Redline that has the headlights wider I like that look better I may go that route... Because the body is longer they put in 2 storage boxes behind the wheels... I am thinking I am going to build a bulkhead behind the back seat and then buy one of there fj45 cab panel and stretch 7" and make a 4 door hardtop the bed would be about 4 1\2 feet long... Here is a pic of the bib and a grill, let me know what you think?View attachment 2158405View attachment 2158406
Generally speaking I prefer the stock hood vs the style of the Aqualu hood so I think you made a good choice. I also think that widening the lights will look better but I am not sure how much I would be willing to pay to make that happen since I would not be able to do it myself. I have mixed emotions on making it into a pickup truck of sorts, although it might be easier to heat and cool when the top is on.

What would you do with the rear doors? are you planning on buying the Aqualu half doors and doing a soft door upper? I would prefer to modify a stock 40 door for the rear of mine but I am pretty sure it will come out like crap if I do it and I will probably not like the price if I pay someone else.

Last edited:
Small setback, I had an un used thick ignition wire hangin loose and it grounded out on the headers and melted the one of the terminal strips in the harness. Balls!!! I am still not sure why the fusible link did not burn up before the strip melted.

I was able to pop the strip out of the block, but not able to fine the replacement part locally so my dreams of driving down the street tomorrow are no more.

2019-12-24_10-57-20.jpg

Generally speaking I prefer the stock hood vs the style of the Aqualu hood so I think you made a good choice. I also think that widening the lights will look better but I am not sure how much I would be willing to pay to make that happen since I would not be able to do it myself. I have mixed emotions on making it into a pickup truck of sorts, although it might be easier to heat and cool when the top is on.

What would you do with the rear doors? are you planning on buying the Aqualu half doors and doing a soft door upper? I would prefer to modify a stock 40 door for the rear of mine but I am pretty sure it will come out like crap if I do it and I will probably not like the price if I pay someone else.
For my doors I purchased there Best Top half doors for the front, I like the look better than the ones that are the same height as the rear doors... And I purchased there rear half doors... For my door windows I found a guy making slider windows for a Jeep JK for there vinyl half doors still need to contact him for size of the windows... I also purchased there barn door tailgate for the rear... You were asking about budget ... The body and cowl I purchased last spring when Aqualu was getting rid of there FJ80 prototypes they had 2, I got the one for less then half the price of the body & cowl on there website... Not sure if I am going to go with steel or aluminum fenders yet... My frame and diff's I picked up from a guy in Oregon pretty cheep... It's a 91 but I found a non-locking full floater from a 95 that I will swap out... My engine I am going with a lQ4 6.0 that I will be rebuilding... I picked up a stock 4 Speed and transfer case that the guy thought was a 3 speed it had a Downey bell housing and advance adapter crossmember on it... Hope everything is going well to get yours on the road....

Still not running, I had to move the AC compressor from the bottom passenger side of the engine to the top passenger side. it was just too tight on the frame rail and too close to the exhaust. Then the compressor did not line up so I had to get a different compressor so I ordered the Sanden SD7 Peanut because the full size Sanden 709 was hitting the valve cover. The good news is that I also need to reroute the upper radiator hose because of the compressor. More parts show up today so hopefully I can try and drive this down the street soon. The bracket in the picture is the new one that mounts on the top of the engine.

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3855 (1).jpg

I am looking for someone to make me a cooler carrier basket. The one on 4 plus is a bit too small, it says it holds a yet 45 but I want a Yeti 65 size cooler on it. I want the corners to be round and I do not have a tube bender or know anyone that has one. Anyone know of an online place that does small projects like this or a person in the bay area that does side work? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom