460 on 35's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ran 35's (315's) ridge grapplers on my previous GX460 the entire time I owned it without issue. I'm used to fitting large wheels/tires onto my vehicles so I guess the process of cutting/trimming doesn't phase me any longer.

I never felt a regear was necessary whatsoever. Would it be nice? Sure. But not "needed". I was still making 15-16mpg mixed driving like an ass per usual. The truck just takes a bit too long to downshift for me on the highway so I usually drove in sport mode and shifted manually.

Arguably, after putting the Icon and Dobinsons on, I wager I had enough room to run the next size up with a bit more cutting.

17x7.5 Sequoia wheels w/ 1.25" spacers
- Ironman FCP set up, then Icon, then Dobinsons MRA + SPC UCAs - All with the 35"s
- BMC
- Slight trim on the lower trailing edge of the front bumper
- Moving or just completely removing the fender liners - I just pushed mine out of the way and zip tied them

Hope that helps!

View attachment 2707174View attachment 2707175View attachment 2707176
Thank you!!! This is exactly what I needed from someone who knows and has done it. Even with 33s on my 4Runner, I had to trim the hell out of the fender liner which ultimately lead to me getting a snorkel but I didn’t care one bit about that so I don’t care about doing it again. My bigger concern was if I had to do anything with the firewall or other massive modifications which is a bit more than I thought may have been worth it. I’ll have UCAs which I can adjust for greater caster and with wheels weighing in under 30 lbs and the Yoko MTs at only 70 lbs for 35x12.5s, I figured this wasn’t a massive leap in unsprung weight. Your feedback has pushed me to just take the leap! I appreciate it a lot and plan to further post my experience with making this work. I also actually off road so we’ll see how clearance even under full compression looks. My rig isn’t going to be just for mall crawling or flexing on the bros.

Thank you!!! This is exactly what I needed from someone who knows and has done it. Even with 33s on my 4Runner, I had to trim the hell out of the fender liner which ultimately lead to me getting a snorkel but I didn’t care one bit about that so I don’t care about doing it again. My bigger concern was if I had to do anything with the firewall or other massive modifications which is a bit more than I thought may have been worth it. I’ll have UCAs which I can adjust for greater caster and with wheels weighing in under 30 lbs and the Yoko MTs at only 70 lbs for 35x12.5s, I figured this wasn’t a massive leap in unsprung weight. Your feedback has pushed me to just take the leap! I appreciate it a lot and plan to further post my experience with making this work. I also actually off road so we’ll see how clearance even under full compression looks. My rig isn’t going to be just for mall crawling or flexing on the bros.
You bet!
And for some additional into, the first shot I posted with the orange springs in the wheel well (the Ironmans) that was before I even had the thing aligned properly. I had my alignment shop push the wheel forward enough so that a BMC probably wasn't even needed.

Albeit, I was probably at a full 3.5" lift in the front with the Dobinsons on the truck.

I unfortunately don't have a lot of wheeling photos, but the tires stuffed great front & rear.

IMG-2150.jpg

You bet!
And for some additional into, the first shot I posted with the orange springs in the wheel well (the Ironmans) that was before I even had the thing aligned properly. I had my alignment shop push the wheel forward enough so that a BMC probably wasn't even needed.

Albeit, I was probably at a full 3.5" lift in the front with the Dobinsons on the truck.

I unfortunately don't have a lot of wheeling photos, but the tires stuffed great front & rear.

View attachment 2707383
Truck looks awesome and 35s are proper on there for sure. I know from my own experience the Nitto RGs run a little small for their size but if I could do this without the hassle I’m expecting them I’m beyond excited. I’ll post back. My lift is finally in stock but Ironman is massively backlogged on assembly and I was warned it could still be weeks before they ship them. Ugh. At least I can see if any Independence Day tire deals pop. I appreciate you and your time…and the pics!

Those 35's do look pretty awesome, especially sitting next to thsoe 4R's with 33/34 tires!

Truck looks awesome and 35s are proper on there for sure. I know from my own experience the Nitto RGs run a little small for their size but if I could do this without the hassle I’m expecting them I’m beyond excited. I’ll post back. My lift is finally in stock but Ironman is massively backlogged on assembly and I was warned it could still be weeks before they ship them. Ugh. At least I can see if any Independence Day tire deals pop. I appreciate you and your time…and the pics!
No problem!

FWIW, I thought the Ironmans rode like absolute s***. I had them on the truck less than a month. Swapped them out for Icon front 2.5s + (650# spring) / rear 2.0s + 3" Icon overland rear springs
The Ironmans felt VERY oversprung for a stock weight truck.

Sorry double post - But IMO 33's are too small for these trucks. The fender wells swallow them. Especially with a full 3" + lift.

Go 35s, you won't regret it :cool:
Considering the extra size and leverage of 35's, how does the braking feel? Do you feel any more fade than if you had the smaller tires?

Considering the extra size and leverage of 35's, how does the braking feel? Do you feel any more fade than if you had the smaller tires?
In comparison to stock? Barely. Never had any fade issues. I locked the front tires a couple times on the highway going 75 actually lmao.
Raising the front up on stiffer springs helps with the all-so noticeable nose dive from the factory greatly.

Reactions: r2m
No problem!

FWIW, I thought the Ironmans rode like absolute s***. I had them on the truck less than a month. Swapped them out for Icon front 2.5s + (650# spring) / rear 2.0s + 3" Icon overland rear springs
The Ironmans felt VERY oversprung for a stock weight truck.
Ah crap. I’m hoping the FCPs are better than the nitrogen’s. I’ve been pretty excited about these and coming from Bilstein on my 4R I’m hoping I’m more than happy. Especially after all the wait. I was super torn between Ironman and Dobinsons MMR and landed on Ironman because of the insane value.

Ran 35's (315's) ridge grapplers on my previous GX460 the entire time I owned it without issue. I'm used to fitting large wheels/tires onto my vehicles so I guess the process of cutting/trimming doesn't phase me any longer.

I never felt a regear was necessary whatsoever. Would it be nice? Sure. But not "needed". I was still making 15-16mpg mixed driving like an ass per usual. The truck just takes a bit too long to downshift for me on the highway so I usually drove in sport mode and shifted manually.

Arguably, after putting the Icon and Dobinsons on, I wager I had enough room to run the next size up with a bit more cutting.

17x7.5 Sequoia wheels w/ 1.25" spacers
- Ironman FCP set up, then Icon, then Dobinsons MRA + SPC UCAs - All with the 35"s
- BMC
- Slight trim on the lower trailing edge of the front bumper
- Moving or just completely removing the fender liners - I just pushed mine out of the way and zip tied them

Hope that helps!

View attachment 2707174View attachment 2707175View attachment 2707176
I see you’re running 315/70-17. It’ll be interesting to see if 35x12.5 is going to be an issue. The 315s are 34.4” x 12.4”. I know it seems nominal but we’ll see. Yoko specs out their 35x12.5 to be 34.7x13.2. That’s a lot of meat.

Edit: Why the thumbs down Tucsonprerunner? Fitment is tight for many and my comment seems relevant. Oh well…didn’t even know you could thumbs down a post. Haha

Last edited:
I see you’re running 315/70-17. It’ll be interesting to see if 35x12.5 is going to be an issue. The 315s are 34.4” x 12.4”. I know it seems nominal but we’ll see. Yoko specs out their 35x12.5 to be 34.7x13.2. That’s a lot of meat.

Edit: Why the thumbs down Tucsonprerunner? Fitment is tight for many and my comment seems relevant. Oh well…didn’t even know you could thumbs down a post. Haha
I think the size difference is negligible if you’re going to do a BMC, trim the fender liners, etc. there was more than enough space on mine for another 1/4” diameter and a wider tire 👍🏻

How about the Kenda RT in 35x10.50? Seems to be a great size for this application.

I wonder if BFG still makes the KO2 in a 34x10.50x17?

I wonder if BFG still makes the KO2 in a 34x10.50x17?
I've been running 285/75R17 BFG KM2 M/T's for several years on the same tires and they've been great! Over 45,000 miles and a little less than half thread left.
My only issue is they are very quiet when new, but around the half way mark, they start to get a little noisy. But still quieter than some of the M/T's right off the shelf.
The dims on these tires are: 33.9" O.D., x 11.3" wide.

I've paid much more for tires, $350-ish is damn near the norm for any 33" and up name brand AT or Hybrid tire these days.

I've paid much more for tires, $350-ish is damn near the norm for any 33" and up name brand AT or Hybrid tire these days.
With all due respect, you've been shopping in the wrong places. If you don't mind adding to Bozos (I mean Bezos) billions of dollars you can shop on Amazon and get
A/T BFG 275/85R17 (33.9") for $264.99:
Amazon product ASIN B07F6SW7RX

Haha. I just saw this going through the thread again. That was absolutely a “butt dial” on the thumbs down doohickey. Lol, my bad. If I could, I would rock 315’s/35’s though….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom