460 on 35's (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone here running a true 35" tire or larger on their GX460? If so, which tire and how? What lift, how much trimming, how much rubbing, etc.? I know it's much easier to squeeze 35's on a 470 than it is the newer 460 but I don't recall many doing it so speak up, let's see what it truly takes and whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze.

Reactions: r2m
I believe its actually fairly easy to get true 35's on a 460 if your BMC is taken back to the mount, pinch weld hammered back, trimming your inner liner and some minor front bumper and rear fender trimming, ditch the stock running boards and if you plan on running a wheel with a 0 offset. I tried with my wheels and the offset is what kept me from running a 35.

3in OME lift and some SPC UCA's. nothing fancy.

35's.jpg

I've done all of the above, the only difference is that I am running a -10mm offset wheels. I am currently running a 285/70/17 and I see the clearance I currently have, I can't imagine fitting a tire nearly 2.2" larger than the current one in that same space.

I've done all of the above, the only difference is that I am running a -10mm offset wheels. I am currently running a 285/70/17 and I see the clearance I currently have, I can't imagine fitting a tire nearly 2.2" larger than the current one in that same space.

Hmmm. that 35 I was trying to fit came right under 13in wide, I'm also running -38's but now on 285/75's, which toyos measure right in at 34.2 and 11.25in wide per the tire specs on tire rack. I get minimal rubbing on the rear fender mount when i'm "sending it" aka, going up the curb in front of my driveway. but that's about it. where are you having issues? pics?

beach.jpg

I'll have to take pics when I get back to the house later today, but my issue will only be at the rear near the pinch weld and body mount, with the Ironman front bumper I have plenty of clearance to the front. I was planning on moving to 285/75's next as I know those will work a lot better than a true 35" and maybe that's where I should stop?!

Warning unsolicited opinion.🤔If my math is correct the gears would need to be changed to 4.30 to run 285/75/17 tires. The look is awesome but the change is 10.8 %. That would make your car speedo off that amount as well. I alway thought a 2-4 % change can be absorbed by the drive line OK. A 10% change is really hard on the transmission. You get out in the highway and it will keep shifting in and out of overdrive. Especially if you tow anything.
AR

I've been rocking a 6% change with the 285's and it hasn't been an issue, most shift to 5th in Sport mode if towing a decent load as it is. I have run 37's, 38's and even 40's on vehicles in the past, I understand the side effects. Eventually the GX will get regeared and at least one locker, especially if I move to 35's. 285/75's I think I could live with on the stock 3.91's for a while. I have spoken with those who run the 285/75's on stock gears and very few found a regear necessary for daily driving, YMMV.

Last edited:
I understand. There are thousands of Jeep guys who are doing the same thing.
I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Yea trying to nab their wheels is a game and it's annoying. Should I decide to move on to another set of wheels I'll sell them to you for a fair price. I've actually been considering this honestly. I kinda want even more offset, not less lol. I don't know how much more I can go before it causes more issues with going larger on the rubber.

I meant Tex since he has some in gunmetal. I really want some scs wheels, but I’m not gonna pay over msrp for second hand wheels or try and place an order in less than 15 seconds to get them before they sell out.
Oh, lol. My bad man. I actually lucked out when I emailed SCS. They let me pre order a set, but the last couple guys that tried got shot down. I was even able to nab a 5th wheel from their scratch and dent pile for 150 bucks. And all there was, was a scratch on the inside of the wheel.

Hmmm. that 35 I was trying to fit came right under 13in wide, I'm also running -38's but now on 285/75's, which toyos measure right in at 34.2 and 11.25in wide per the tire specs on tire rack. I get minimal rubbing on the rear fender mount when i'm "sending it" aka, going up the curb in front of my driveway. but that's about it. where are you having issues? pics?

View attachment 2621347

Which offset are your SCS wheels?

i'm running Toyo ATII in 285/75t18, they measure at 34.8 or 35 (on the tire itself it says 35) with a 2" lift, good alignment and a BMC. the front right rubs on the washer fluid resivor. I have a 1" BL that i'll be putting in soon. (i choose to do the BL vs a 3" to retain more down travel in the suspension).

But in reality that's is only 1.1" of space needed for clearance, considering that 2.2" would be overall height and then divide by 2.

Warning unsolicited opinion.🤔If my math is correct the gears would need to be changed to 4.30 to run 285/75/17 tires. The look is awesome but the change is 10.8 %. That would make your car speedo off that amount as well. I alway thought a 2-4 % change can be absorbed by the drive line OK. A 10% change is really hard on the transmission. You get out in the highway and it will keep shifting in and out of overdrive. Especially if you tow anything.
AR
Also, I'm running the BFG 285/75R/17 KM2 M/T's which measure out at 33.8".
And I did regear (and added ARB lockers front and rear). As posted in another thread on Speedometer Correction, per my phones GPS I'm almost a perfect 10% over the posted speed on my dash. As far as mpg and going up grades, I've never had it "hunt" for gears, shifting up or down when going over steep passes fully loaded for trips. Granted, we don't tow anything either which I'm sure makes quite a difference. And regarding mpg, I was getting just a squeak over 17 mpg on the way back from Lake Tahoe, about a 500 mile trip.
Looking at my wheel wells and what room I have I could probably run a narrow 35" tire, but not sure how rubbing would be on full compression and lock-to-lock. But I'm happy with my size tires and going an extra 1.3" in height, I don't think I'll gain any real capabilities on the trail. Also, 35" tires start to get pretty pricey.

Last edited:
Glad to hear the mpg is staying up there.

Thanks for all the info here fellas! I’m on the cusp of ordering new wheels and tires for my 3” Ironman lift and I’m stuck between the 285/75 17s and 315/70s. I ran 285/70s on my 4Runner with 2.5” lift and stock UCAs with no issue. It’s been hard finding really good info on whether the 35s will fit well on the GX with mods beyond a BMC which I’m prepared to do, as well as other trimming. I’m going for the Yoko Geolander MTs as they’re the lightest MT I can find so I’m not overly concerned about regearing since my GX isn’t my daily driver either. Any other insight is appreciated to help me in my decision. I’m trying to go with a 9” wide wheel with -12 offset as that seems like a must as well.

Thanks for all the info here fellas! I’m on the cusp of ordering new wheels and tires for my 3” Ironman lift and I’m stuck between the 285/75 17s and 315/70s. I ran 285/70s on my 4Runner with 2.5” lift and stock UCAs with no issue. It’s been hard finding really good info on whether the 35s will fit well on the GX with mods beyond a BMC which I’m prepared to do, as well as other trimming. I’m going for the Yoko Geolander MTs as they’re the lightest MT I can find so I’m not overly concerned about regearing since my GX isn’t my daily driver either. Any other insight is appreciated to help me in my decision. I’m trying to go with a 9” wide wheel with -12 offset as that seems like a must as well.
Either will look awesome!

Ran 35's (315's) ridge grapplers on my previous GX460 the entire time I owned it without issue. I'm used to fitting large wheels/tires onto my vehicles so I guess the process of cutting/trimming doesn't phase me any longer.

I never felt a regear was necessary whatsoever. Would it be nice? Sure. But not "needed". I was still making 15-16mpg mixed driving like an ass per usual. The truck just takes a bit too long to downshift for me on the highway so I usually drove in sport mode and shifted manually.

Arguably, after putting the Icon and Dobinsons on, I wager I had enough room to run the next size up with a bit more cutting.

17x7.5 Sequoia wheels w/ 1.25" spacers
- Ironman FCP set up, then Icon, then Dobinsons MRA + SPC UCAs - All with the 35"s
- BMC
- Slight trim on the lower trailing edge of the front bumper
- Moving or just completely removing the fender liners - I just pushed mine out of the way and zip tied them

Hope that helps!

02B186A1-17D2-4671-A1C6-7598976E3312.JPG
IMG-8606.jpg
IMG-2166.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom