45swb project - 2short (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! I just went from six to midnight.

So the little hand is pointed straight up?

Yes it is!

However, since it is midnight, the big hand is also pointed strait up, so it looks better.

What the fudge?

The knuckle rebuild kit came in from Marlin. I went to start putting the front end together and there's no steels and no half moon things. I still have the old half moon things, but I'm not putting those old crusty nasty things back on. I wouldn't put them on my wheeling truck. I tossed the steels. I went back to look at the picture on Marlins website and, sure enough, they aren't there.

When did Marlin get cheap?

I was bouncing back and forth between Marlin and Kurt. I haven't ordered from Marlin in a long time and I want to support as many vendors as I can. (and Kurt doesn't have online ordering), but I'm not happy.

I hate that TrailMart's kit is $20 cheaper and comes with all the parts.

So trunion races got put in today. Bearings packed. Axle balls all cleaned out. New Marlin HD axle seals installed. I suppose I can put the knuckles on without the steels, but what a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
They are so pretty....sitting there by my front door. One way or another you will meet.

Arrrrgh.

Went backwards on both knuckles today. A student broke a felt bolt off bad enough I had to drill and tap it on the long side, then I got the short side axle stick in the diff after fighting for an hour with the damn birf clip. I must have a goobered spline. The worst part was the birf coming back off before the axle came out of the diff. Now I gotta fight that damn clip back in.

Life got better when Kurt called back and I spent a bunch of money on steering parts.

and I got a tracking number just a few minutes ago. Gotta like that.

Last edited:
Top is in Appleton!

Brought in an expert to put together the front axle while I butchered the LV.

Front end is very sexy with rebuilt knuckles and new brakes and hubs.
45swbhub.jpg

Last edited:
Nice...finally I can hook the swb to the back of the Tundra and you can pull me around town. Ill tape a tire to the front bumper.

Nope. Not yet. Wrong size TREs. Shank is way smaller than the tie rod threads.

and Kurt's not answering his phone all week.:mad:

My tie rods and stock TREs are 21mm, which appear to be FJ40. The thread on the CO ends are 16mm. I don't know what they fit. An Fj55 apparently. Kurt sold me the FJ55 kit because it came with less extra pieces than a FJ40/5 kit.

Sucks. I cleaned up both tie rods. Sandblasted and painted the rods and sandblasted, wire wheeled and clear powdercoated the clamps with new stainless hardware.
Tierod45.jpg

Last edited:
More excellence.

The right tie rod, the one with the relay rod hole in it, fits fine.

The other three rod ends are wrong, but may fit in the relay rods that are supposed to be drop shipped from AA, but I don't know when it's supposed to be shipped. And for sure I don't have a left side TRE.

The steering parts I ordered are also wrong. The slip side was supposed to be 7/8 hex. I did not order the 7/8 shaft because I already have 40 feet of 7/8 hex on the shelf.

They came 3/4 hex. They were billed as 7/8, but they are not. Probably best to just go buy some 3/4 hex and be done with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom