40th Family Wheeler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided it was time to tackle the rust that was growing on my rear hatch. Only visible part was on the right corner, but when I got the glass out the majority of the seam had bubbles and rust in between the pieces.
IMG_0417.JPEG
IMG_0418.JPEG
IMG_0419.JPEG

Started on the worst part. No turning back now!!!
IMG_0420.JPEG

Replacement panel cut, bent and fit. Used a high zinc weld through primer between the parts to try to reduce future corrosion.
IMG_0424.JPEG

Welded and ground. Little bit of bondo and it will look like it never happened.
IMG_0425.JPEG

Middle portion ready for bondo. Just a few small strips to go and will be ready for finish work.
IMG_0431.JPEG

Did some restoration on my factory wheels. Sanded off the clear coating and painted areas. Repainted the inner parts with duplicolor graphite wheel paint. Sanded the bare aluminum with 1000 grit and then polished and waxed. I think they came out really good.

Also got new shoes, went up to 35's.

Before:
IMG_0489.JPEG

After:
IMG_0490.JPEG

With the new Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP tires :smokin:
IMG_0493.JPEG

Did some restoration on my factory wheels. Sanded off the clear coating and painted areas. Repainted the inner parts with duplicolor graphite wheel paint. Sanded the bare aluminum with 1000 grit and then polished and waxed. I think they came out really good.

Also got new shoes, went up to 35's.

Before:
View attachment 3060315

After:
View attachment 3060316

With the new Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP tires :smokin:
View attachment 3060317
wheels came out great. so you didn't clearcoat over the machined (sanded) faces once all the sanding and polishing was done?

wheels came out great. so you didn't clearcoat over the machined (sanded) faces once all the sanding and polishing was done?
No clear coat, just used a wheel polish with sealer. They will take more maintenance to keep looking good but I will be able to more easily repair scratches and dings.

No clear coat, just used a wheel polish with sealer. They will take more maintenance to keep looking good but I will be able to more easily repair scratches and dings.
Yup I got you. Plenty of bare aluminum wheels out there. They will oxidize over time but like you said just run some metal polish on them once or twice a year and you’re good. Don’t have to worry about the inevitable clear coat failure now.

Been working on a new addition to the cruiser. Put it in the gear section since it's more universal than 80 specific.

Got a wild hair and decided to relocate the front differential breather up high.
View attachment 3167011
That is still a 1 way valve of sorts. We just run the hose over the brake booster and terminate it with an old style VW fuel filter. Breathes both ways equally.

Inspected my rig last week to check on all the bushings etc after my Moab trip. Found that the rear lower control arm bushing were totally shot. I could wiggle the arms with my hand. Also found that the driver side arm was bent, about 1/8” out of true on a straight edge.

After pricing new arms and bushings I decided to upgrade and get the metal tech arms. Installed today.

Also started on upgrades to my rear sway bar. I had metal tech drop brackets which were rubbing the hose for the remote reservoir shocks. I also broke the links and bent the sway bar on Top of the World. Decided to go back to stock brackets and add HD extended links from @landtank. Also reinforced the brackets with 1/8” plate on each side. Got one side done. Still need to order a new sway bar and new lower brackets which also got destroyed.
7243DF4F-B551-4E7B-90E9-F5B07FE32932.jpeg
3FB67C46-52BC-4D8C-B5F0-7B6789C1FB75.jpeg
3F31F524-5F09-49A2-978B-92431F21E014.jpeg
83DA2E9E-F94A-4448-8D18-F6FE31F011C2.jpeg

Pics are a little late but we hit Moab again in October. Cruiser did awesome on the new 35's. Amazing what a difference 2 inch increase makes. Cruiser took more of a beating this time around. Busted a sway bar link on Top of the World. Tried a field repair which failed and eventually resulted in the rear sway bar coming off and having to be completely removed. Day 3 I tried Hells Gate and failed. Poor line choice and no one wanting to spot me (in my video I can hear them saying my line was wrong but no one bothered to key the radio and say something) resulted in a flop over. Lucky for me my armor took the brunt of it and only got a few dents in the front fender. Flipped back on all 4 and wheeled out though and still crushed Poison spider the next day. Also, as posted above, I found that all of the rear control arm bushings failed on this trip so those had to be replaced too. And my damn front locker stopped working after day 1... again. Time for a new one.
IMG_0074.JPEG
IMG_0076 Edited.jpg
IMG_0853.JPEG
IMG_0905.JPEG
IMG_2905.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom