3FE Owners Check-In (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got around to doing the oil change on it finally today, after 3-4 years of sitting it was definitely due. Coolant is next, stuff looks nasty and the heat doesn't work very well, so I'm going to try a flush, hopefully that can save it. I have a new set of hoses, thermostat and water pump on the way.

Also took off the damage multiplier, awful running boards, and not-so-in-fashion-anymore tail light guards off, looks much better now! Ignore the broken bumper extension haha, previous owner woes, eventually an ARB bumper will take its place.

Also wanted to note! My hot no start/no check engine light issue ended up being a faulty EFI relay! Hope that can help someone else in need, I'll be keeping a spare EFI relay and fusible links on hand just in case from now on.

4057CC1B-A15D-4487-9473-A904BDAEEAC5.jpeg

7F7806EE-D391-4522-BB6C-9B3D2C2EE9E2.jpeg

Got around to doing the oil change on it finally today, after 3-4 years of sitting it was definitely due. Coolant is next, stuff looks nasty and the heat doesn't work very well, so I'm going to try a flush, hopefully that can save it. I have a new set of hoses, thermostat and water pump on the way.

Also took off the damage multiplier, awful running boards, and not-so-in-fashion-anymore tail light guards off, looks much better now! Ignore the broken bumper extension haha, previous owner woes, eventually an ARB bumper will take its place.

Also wanted to note! My hot no start/no check engine light issue ended up being a faulty EFI relay! Hope that can help someone else in need, I'll be keeping a spare EFI relay and fusible links on hand just in case from now on.

View attachment 2152168
View attachment 2152169
Nice let us know how the flush goes. Have to do all that in spring.

Nice let us know how the flush goes. Have to do all that in spring.

Will do! It's one of the more alarming things I've encountered on this rig so far, never seen so much build-up inside of a radiator on any of my other vehicles. Makes me wonder what the thermostat and water pump look like 😂

get a used "Camry" plastic relay to replace the stock metal relays and never a hot start issues again.

Oh I'll keep that in mind then! Do you know what year "Camry" or other Toyota would have the plastic relays? The only other Toyota I own is even older than my 80, so I'm kinda not very well versed in the newer ones haha

Should there be an boring on the oil dipstick? I know there is one where the tube goes into the block but should there be one on the dipstick itself? If so what size o ring should it be?

Should there be an boring on the oil dipstick? I know there is one where the tube goes into the block but should there be one on the dipstick itself? If so what size o ring should it be?
It certainly seals, but I can’t recall seeing an oring. You can test to see if it seals by, while the engine is running, pulling the dipstick out a bit. Idle should change noticeably given you have created a vacuum leak.

I'm trying to remove my cruiser control and move my coil so I can put a spare battery in that spot.

I took out the cruise control motor assembly and moved the throttle cable from the pedal direct to the throttle body, but the cable stick out is too short. Any ideas? My tentative plan is to hack up the cable and shorten the housing, but I figured I'd post here first.

I'm trying to remove my cruiser control and move my coil so I can put a spare battery in that spot.

I took out the cruise control motor assembly and moved the throttle cable from the pedal direct to the throttle body, but the cable stick out is too short. Any ideas? My tentative plan is to hack up the cable and shorten the housing, but I figured I'd post here first.
I was going to ask why not dsmog and use that area. Colorado emissions?

The state of Tennessee has emissions testing, my Cruiser has been completely desmoged and no cats for 10 plus years and 2 years in my ownership, the guys at the emissions test centers do not know the difference between a muffler and a catalytic converter, and mine still passes the sniffler IMHO emissions is just a scam,
Really what it is going to depend on is if they look under the hood and see if the smog pump is still there,

Last edited:
Desmoggin the 3FE will almost 100x make the rig runs 10x smoother and even better fuel economy due to failed emission bits, vacuum leaks. etc.
This winter my desmog will happen. If you are familiar with it I'll make sure to bug you with anything I cant find myself. I read the Trollhouse guide, numerous threads, etc. Still feel cautious jumping in.

Sweet, I can bug you AND Marco!
I do not have emission on my rig unfortunately....the smog pump and EGR was the 1st thing i removed along with all the vacuum lines....lol
However, you can almost pass emission by getting the engine hot, add a gallon of denatured alcohol into an empty tank 30 mins prior to pulling into emission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom