3FE Fuel pump? (1 Viewer)

I've searched a few other threads related to 60-62 fuel pumps and I'm fairly sure I've lost my fuel pump. I've been consistently running 89 FJ62 2-3 times/week and she's been running great. No issues. Yesterday, out of the blue, she dies as I'm driving around town. Stalls just as I'm exiting a parking lot into traffic. Yikes! With the help of some Big-O tire brutes, we got her safely pushed back into the parking lot. Won't start, but turns over no problem. I had it towed over to the nearest mechanics shop and they are taking a look at it. Assuming it's the pump, what would be reasonable parts and labor? I'm in Idaho. Any other possible solutions to this problem? Any relays, wires, filters that may have contributed to this issue? I have an FSM but don't typically wrench on my rig other than oil changes. Wish I did though... Thanks in advance!

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
First check for codes. If the CEL shows a code(s) that's the first place to start. If you do have code(s) they'll be listed in the FSM.

3_puppies

SILVER Star
could be a bad connection in the rear quarter panel.
you can jumper it in the diagnostic block, but if the connector is bad it won't work
other way is to run 12volt right to the plug by the fuel sending unit

3 -4 hour job as long as all the hardware comes loose and doesn't break.
$550-700 total job? with parts, last pump I bought was $110? shipped with the sock included

could be a bad connection in the rear quarter panel.
you can jumper it in the diagnostic block, but if the connector is bad it won't work
other way is to run 12volt right to the plug by the fuel sending unit
+1 I just replaced my fuel pump this summer then discovered a couple gallons of water in the rear quarter panel, the fuel pump connector was probably under water for years prior to my ownership. Tried to clean it but ended up having to replace the connectors, the contacts were toast after being exposed to air for a few days.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
I have a fuel pump that's been running for 20+ years and at 250k miles and it's still going (can't predict the future, it could die tomorrow). Couple of years ago I thought the pump had died. 3FE running fine, shut it off, would not start. I was prepared to drop the tank and replace the pump but ran some simple diagnostics to learn that the culprit was the Circuit Opening Relay in the passenger side kick panel.

300k+ on my (probably stock) pump and still going. Troubleshoot the problem before throwing parts at it, it could be the fuel pressure regulator or an electrical issue.

I'd say 5-700 for a shop to change it would be close.

Diagnostics port; short the +B and Fp terminals. That would bypass the relay and ecu and let you know if you have a wiring issue. (This assumes the rear driver's quarter panel is clean).

If it ends up being a fuel pump they will have to drop the tank to get at it. Make sure a new 4 inch or so piece of fuel line is installed with the new pump! I installed a fuel pump without replacing that hose and years later the hose cracked on me forcing me to go back in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom