3FE EGR Delete, Who's done it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LS1FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Who all has done the EGR delete? Did you get good results? Worth doing? Adverse conditions afterward?

I may know someone who's done the EGR delete

It makes a world of a difference. More power, smooth idle, endless benefits.

Not a placebo effect either. When I tore the engine down for the rebuild I scraped about an inch of oil caked in the intake runners. I think that's why she accelerates and idles so much more smoothly.

I also 86'd the smog/air system, which I'm sure added to the power - less parasitic loss.

And, once I remove the cooling fan the 2nd battery should fit perfectly.

Do it!

Last edited:
That's what I'm hearing. I'm just trying to find a "clean" set up. My understanding is that the 3FE didn't come with EGR or smog/air system on the non NA models. So it should be able to be done in a "clean" fashion. I'm having a hard time finding that. I have multiple reasons for wanting to do this. a) more space for second battery b) less "things" to go wrong c) it's not necessary d) improved mpg and performance? Do you have any pictures? I'm a fairly novice mechanic so I will be following someone's (or multiple) build threads and the demog manual.

I'm only posting in here to check back later. I would like to know as well about the EGR delete.

Same here. I need the space for a 2nd battery.

I did it this weekend. I still need to remove the air pump and make some belt replacement/adjustments but as you can see it gave a lot of room :)
IMG_20150308_161928.jpg

I did it way back when, but also added a turbo setup at the same time. Hard to tell if removing it was solely beneficial. The system was definitely in The way of the turbo install though.

@mobilemedic I'm curious if you have any issues with how it runs after you've done it. About how long did it take you? Any custom fabrication necessary? I want to do this but I'm a little intimidated by it. My hoses are in pretty rough shape (shocker, they are only 23 years old) but I don't want to spend the money on them when I'd just as soon eliminate the useless setup and make room for a second battery.

So far. All positive. Slight improvement I think in how it runs. I got about 35 bucks invested in it. The plate kit from a shop in kingman Az. Fast shipping and quality work. Only hiccup i had was removing the male to male from the block at the end of the EGR hose. I don't have the right tools. So I removed the sleeve from old hose and took the nut off and used a electrical box knockout (lol I know) as it fit the hole perfect and put the but back on. Eventually I'll get a 1/2 inch impact on it to remove it. Otherwise it was just one vaccum line to cap off. Bought a pack of misc sized vac caps for 5 bucks. as far as hoses, only 1 from the other end of the air pump to the top of the intake and the hose from the air pump to the air filter. I ended up tieing those together just to keep crap out of both place. Took me about an hour to get it all done. Was very easy and worth it in my opinion. I'm all for removing anything that doesn't need to be there. Cats are next on my list. :)

Got that from someone else on here a while back. Hope the link works. If not i might be able to email it to you

Got my EGR block off plate on the Mud classifieds.

AIR used 4 Allen screws & I also needed a new belt specified in the 3fe de smog write up.

Yes, I have that from the FSM download pages. That is what I plan on following. I'm just trying to gauge how happy people are doing it. My cats are original (as is everything on my 80) so I'm guessing they are all plugged up. I'm going to order a block off plate and assorted parts needed so I can do this this weekend. :) Screw it! It's all reversible! And I've got two (soon to be three 80s so why not!?!)

Yes, I have that from the FSM download pages. That is what I plan on following. I'm just trying to gauge how happy people are doing it. My cats are original (as is everything on my 80) so I'm guessing they are all plugged up. I'm going to order a block off plate and assorted parts needed so I can do this this weekend. :) Screw it! It's all reversible! And I've got two (soon to be three 80s so why not!?!)

I did mine a year or so ago. Not very hard to do. Not sure I gained much in the performance category, but I sure gained a lot of room and a less cluttered engine bay.

You might try @FJ62INTX . He was last seen on here in January 2015 so he may not be as frequent as he once was. He sold me a kit and it worked great.

Good luck!

Got mine from him as well.

You'll need a gasket fyi - hit up Beno or CDan

I think removing the air pump is where really saw a big difference

I removed all mine last year. I agree that I'm not convinced I got much on a "performance" angle, but the engine compartment is way cleaner.
Right now, I keep some extra fluid on that cubby now, with plans (ie thoughts/delusions) of putting second battery in someday.

My only issue was/is getting the union off the manifold. I have a plug to use if that day comes, but until then, I used the nut from the EGR pipe/tube with about 40 cent.

FWIW, I'm in NC. While I no longer have to pass the emissions smell test, we do still have an emissions portion to "safety."
I don't have cats or this, so I have to be particular about where I go to get inspected.

-Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom