3FE EGR Delete, Who's done it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you guys remove the cats as well? Or go aftermarket cats? Or leave stock? I'm sure my cats are plugged so I'm debating on removing them completely. I need new exhaust from the headers back so it would make sense to do so at the same time.

Mine are gone. But I did that before I desmogged.
When I bought the truck the exhaust was swiss cheese, so I don't have a good before/after report for that.

I live in Iowa. We don't have any emissions testing. They just want my $35 to register it each year. :)

I know this is months later... Any updates on pros or cons on the desmog for the 3FE? My 88 FJ62 has a rough idle that i can't seem to get rid of. I've replaced fuel injectors, spark plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, fuel filter, fuel sending unit, and more. as crazy as it sounds I'm not worried about more power just want a nice idle and a little better fuel econ.

Months later and I have zero regrets. Well, other than I wish I had done it years ago...

Months later and I have zero regrets. Well, other than I wish I had done it years ago...

Would you post pics of your finished product?? I see some people get rid of the air injection manifold and some keep it, as well as the vacuum controlled switches by the driver side fender. I'm diving in this weekend with Spook50's guide, but like you, I'm a little intimidated.

Love to see a full write up / step-by step guide on how this is done (hopefully with pictures so i'll know what to remove from mine)... might anyone have it? Also considering removing my Cats but I wonder what to do with the O2 sensor... Hope someone can help..

Did mine last year, car runs 100% better.
6ADSvQX.jpg

Love to see a full write up / step-by step guide on how this is done (hopefully with pictures so i'll know what to remove from mine)... might anyone have it? Also considering removing my Cats but I wonder what to do with the O2 sensor... Hope someone can help..

This is what you need. Has a list of parts you need in there as well.

I ordered the Route66 EGR plate here: Toyota 4.0 3FE EGR Delete Kit - Route 66 Mods Inc.

Attachments

• 3FE-Desmog_Guide.pdf
    849 KB · Views: 385
Thank you so much USOffRoad! Ordered mine from the link you sent... So looking forward to its delivery...

Hmm...how about Cat-Converter delete..might anyone have some links to it?

Help... my current gas consumption has gotten worse... I used to run around 5.8 mpg (2.5 kilometers per liter) but now after removing my cats... and after correct timing was done (finally), I'm down to 3.5mpg... (1.5 kilometers / liter)... So bad.. :( What do I do next? :( anything wrong with what I did?

sailfish014 said:
My turn to shine? :p

My twin cats are finally off...good thing i removed it in time before the particles break down further into smaller pieces and screw up my muffler...

View attachment 2042648

View attachment 2042651

My O2 sensors... apparently they aren't working anymore... or are already by-passed...

View attachment 2042654

When I plug the lines back together, truck is asking me to go on a coffee break... :p:D:rofl:

View attachment 2042655

Two straight pipes to replace the cats...

View attachment 2042656

Hope to see better mileage... :) EGR delete next...

Hey everyone! I have a 1992 3FE and had a desmog question... I am in the middle of the process and I have inserted an image below with a red box around my question area.

I read that I should keep the red/brown plug, but the other two(blue and grey) are ok to remove. If I wanted to remove this whole bracket, how do I handle that there are vacuum lines running through the red/brown plug? They no longer attached to the vacuum system so maybe it is not a problem? But do they still need to be connected to something?

Any pictures would also be super helpful! I'll post up a picture when I have my final solution complete.

Thanks so much for the help!
desmog.jpg

You could remove all of those without probably noticing any difference (nobody who has removed it has reported any adverse effects). The brown one is for the fuel system at start up. If you want to keep it and eliminate the bracket, you could move it to the intake manifold and plumb the vacuum line from it directly to the manifold (that's what I did). I would take a pic for you, but it's dark outside and I'm lazy.

I think I finished my desmog today! I'm not 100% sure I did the fuel system part correct, but the truck seems to be running well. I have attached pics if anyone wants to weigh in. If it is right, hopefully it helps some people with the same questions. I did have two more questions...
1: There seems to be a hissing sound coming from somewhere, but I can't tell where other than it's coming from the area I just removed the smog stuff from. It appears all the vacuum lines/caps are good so I'm not sure where else to look. Any ideas?
2: That big black fan that blows air right on the engine after shutdown appears to not be working anymore. It is plugged in, but is this tied into the system I just removed? I didn't think so, but maybe?

If anyone does have questions especially on how to get the air injection manifold out without damage or removing other parts of the engine, I'm happy to tell you how I managed to do it successfully.

2020-02-22 17.18.08.jpg

2020-02-22 17.18.38.jpg

2020-02-22 17.18.47.jpg

2020-02-22 17.18.55.jpg

2020-02-22 17.19.03.jpg

I think I finished my desmog today! I'm not 100% sure I did the fuel system part correct, but the truck seems to be running well. I have attached pics if anyone wants to weigh in. If it is right, hopefully it helps some people with the same questions. I did have two more questions...
1: There seems to be a hissing sound coming from somewhere, but I can't tell where other than it's coming from the area I just removed the smog stuff from. It appears all the vacuum lines/caps are good so I'm not sure where else to look. Any ideas?
2: That big black fan that blows air right on the engine after shutdown appears to not be working anymore. It is plugged in, but is this tied into the system I just removed? I didn't think so, but maybe?

If anyone does have questions especially on how to get the air injection manifold out without damage or removing other parts of the engine, I'm happy to tell you how I managed to do it successfully.

View attachment 2219267
View attachment 2219268
View attachment 2219271
View attachment 2219272
View attachment 2219273
Very cool, just started researching this recently. Was looking into rebuilding the EGR system, but now that I know about this route, this seems to be the long term solution.

Quick question, do these systems tie into the charcoal canister at all? Did you leave yours in? Or delete that as well?

I have this in mine, but I've never heard it turn on. Came that way. Don't really ever mind extra fans blowing on the engine, but also good to know nothing seems to happen when it doesn't work.

Yes please share! Text or video appreciated.

Quick question, do these systems tie into the charcoal canister at all? Did you leave yours in? Or delete that as well?

I also have this question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom