3B using oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 3B is using considerable amounts of Oil (details I'm photo) per week, Thing is I'm not noticing or smelling much burnt oil from the exhaust or any leaks. It seems to mostly be coming from the breather pipe. I wondering if switching to a thicker oil would help at all and also why it's doing it. It's just had its headgasket replaced and oil cooler gaskets etc.

Any ideas??

Not sure if it's worth noting but when I'm driving around 100kmh on flat(ish) on full oil it sits at around 40 psi it's that normal or should it be more

Cheers.

Screenshot_20230721_233029_Chrome.jpg

Sounds like there may be some blow-by - hence pressurizing the sump - and blowing oil out the vent pipe ? Just my initial thoughts ...

You need to be using a Full Mineral oil.. switch oil to a mineral oil and reassess. Valvoline Super Diesel is good value at the moment in Aust/NZ. Who did the head work, surely they didnt advise you to use a synthetic oil?

40psi at 100kph is within spec.. but very much on the low end of it.

Last edited:
You need to be using a Full Mineral oil.. switch oil to a mineral oil and reassess. Valvoline Super Diesel is good value at the moment in Aust/NZ. Who did the head work, surely they didnt advise you to use a synthetic oil?

Something like this?

Screenshot_20230722_113521_Messages.jpg

Last edited:
GTXDiesel is a great oil. Keen to hear back if your oil usage dramatically reduces or not - I have no idea why, but these old indirect injection diesel engines seem to burn through the synthetic oils quite quickly.

Last edited:
GTXDiesel is a great oil. Keen to hear back if your oil usage dramatically reduces or not - I have no idea why, but these old indirect injection diesel engines seem to burn through the synthetic oils quite quickly.
Yeah I'll let you know

How is the compression? Does it start okay in the cold?

Old 3B's dont need fancy oils. Just use a known quality brand.

You get that advice in your other thread. ☝🏻.

Run mineral oil. At this point, there is chance that your ultraclean synthetic oil had thoroughly clean your old engine and now, it consumes oil.

Stick with what was the norm back in 1985

You get that advice in your other thread. ☝🏻.

Run mineral oil. At this point, there is chance that your ultraclean synthetic oil had thoroughly clean your old engine and now, it consumes oil.

Stick with what was the norm back in 1985
So it will be burning off alot of miniral oil until its "dirty" again ?

You said 40psi is on the low end. What is the ideal psi?

So it will be burning off alot of miniral oil until its "dirty" again ?

Ultimately you need to find the cause of the "burning". Basically finding what has changed.

Diesels don't really burn oil directly from worn rings. Worn rings tend to push more blowby which takes oil mist out the crankcase and if this is bad enough it can lose oil. I guess different oils could mist different amounts. But I wouldn't expect it to be huge.
I've had significant oil consumption (and blue smoke) from worn valve guides. This let oil run into the intake and exhaust ports.

I think a change in oil type could change how bad an issue is, but is extremely unlikely to be a direct cause.

Any changes to the breather setup lately?

Ultimately you need to find the cause of the "burning". Basically finding what has changed.

Diesels don't really burn oil directly from worn rings. Worn rings tend to push more blowby which takes oil mist out the crankcase and if this is bad enough it can lose oil. I guess different oils could mist different amounts. But I wouldn't expect it to be huge.
I've had significant oil consumption (and blue smoke) from worn valve guides. This let oil run into the intake and exhaust ports.

I think a change in oil type could change how bad an issue is, but is extremely unlikely to be a direct cause.

Any changes to the breather setup lately?
Any changes to the breather setup lately? - in what way?

Are valve guides difficult to replace?

What oil would you recommend. I use 15w-40 but I feel like it's too thin

Any changes to the breather setup lately? - in what way?

Are valve guides difficult to replace?

What oil would you recommend. I use 15w-40 but I feel like it's too thin

I use 10W40 which gives me great improvements in winter starting. North island 15W40 is great all year round. Don't listen to anyone who says an SAE 40 oil is too thin.

I'd do a compression test.

You said 40psi is on the low end. What is the ideal psi?

Toyota Australia recommend 20/50, which is what I would be using on an older engine

I think the oil pressure is measured for 1 minute at 2000rpm. 40 is ok, 30 is the minimum, but above 50 is best. Idle pressure is not very important
Check the manual, im going from memory
But the really bad oil pressure symptom, is when it goes sky high until it warms up and then drops away to nothing.

Toyota Australia recommend 20/50, which is what I would be using on an older engine

I think the oil pressure is measured for 1 minute at 2000rpm. 40 is ok, 30 is the minimum, but above 50 is best. Idle pressure is not very important
Check the manual, im going from memory
But the really bad oil pressure symptom, is when it goes sky high until it warms up and then drops away to nothing.
Yeah I read something similar.

Thanks mate

If Alex was in Perth I'd be saying the same. But NZ climate is quite different without the high ambient temps. We'd only use 20W50 to shut up a worn out engine.

15W40 is good for the north island and 10W40 better for the south.

But NZ climate is quite different without the high ambient temps
You think Tasmania or the southern parts of the mainland are warm this time of year?
And the owner says "So my 3B is using considerable amounts of Oil "

There is no where else to go except a thicker oil. I would at least try a thicker oil before opening the engie up. The 20/50 is within the NZ temperature range published by Toyota.

You think Tasmania or the southern parts of the mainland are warm this time of year?
And the owner says "So my 3B is using considerable amounts of Oil "

There is no where else to go except a thicker oil. I would at least try a thicker oil before opening the engie up. The 20/50 is within the NZ temperature range published by Toyota.

Tasmania shouldn't be using 20W50 either.

Oil viscosity is not the problem. Healthy engines don't just start burning 15W40 no matter what the formulation.

There is no where else to go except a thicker oil.

Except he's using a full synthetic.. other people have reported ID diesels seems to burn through this stuff at a rate of knots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom