3B cylinder head cracked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening everyone,

I recently came across a FJ60 with a 3B and H55F swapped into it. Motor wouldn't start and had very poor compression. After pulling off the head it appears to be cracked pretty badly. From my understanding all the pre cups are cracked along with that all 4 chambers have cracks between the valves then more cracks going out into I think coolant passages? It was late when I got it off and didn't have much time to further investigate.

Have any of you had luck with welding this cast iron head? If so has it held up ok?

Am I better off locating a good core?

Find a welder and then have it machined?

Also, while i'm here I am asking if anyone on this forum has a good 3B head they'd be willing to sell. :)

Any input is greatly appreciated. I searched the forum pretty good here before posting but am still curious what path to go.

Also reading up it seems like several people run with cracks between the valves just fine?

Cheers

-Joe

IMG_6442.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6447.JPG

IMG_6449.JPG

Those cracks are pretty bad. It's very common for the precups to crack as well as the cracks between the valves. Precups should be replaced and you should have the head pressure tested. Don't waste your time on welding it will not hold up. A new head is available from Toyota as well as aftermarket. Lots of people including myself run the heads with the cracks between the valves but those other ones look pretty sketchy. Mine had the coolant passages pressurized to 100 psi with no leaks.

Those cracks are pretty bad. It's very common for the precups to crack as well as the cracks between the valves. Precups should be replaced and you should have the head pressure tested. Don't waste your time on welding it will not hold up. A new head is available from Toyota as well as aftermarket. Lots of people including myself run the heads with the cracks between the valves but those other ones look pretty sketchy. Mine had the coolant passages pressurized to 100 psi with no leaks.

Are you sure new heads are still available from Toyota Roma? I recently checked and I could have sworn they are now discontinued.

Wow, thats one of the worst I've seen, normally they just crack between the valves. A used head will likely have cracks so I would skip looking for a core to rebuild. The last time I replaced one I ordered a high nickel aftermarket from RooDogs in AU, I think Engines Australia sells them also, they will be less prone to cracking in the future. With the head off you will have a good chance to rehab your entire coolings system and install a temp gauge to better monitor temps.

I have seen some on Crusier parts.com for 1k, but them seem to be after market. If i can get a real toyota head in that range, i would be very interested.

I noticed 'New" 1hz heads on ebay that are coming out of China, they must be making them for the 3B also. I would stick with the AU head or OEM but if Beno cant find them your probably out of luck.

I noticed 'New" 1hz heads on ebay that are coming out of China, they must be making them for the 3B also. I would stick with the AU head or OEM but if Beno cant find them your probably out of luck.

You can still get new OEM 1HZ heads at the very least!

All I'm finding are dead ends on the OEM 11101-58014 head unfortunately.

I just pulled two 3B cylinder heads, one with about 300,000 kms and another with 600,000 kms. No cracks. You may want to source a used one...Uncracked heads do exist...

Engines Australia told me they don't stock the early 3B heads anymore.

I am also looking into a new head for a 3B because i suspect mine may be toast.

Has anyone come up with a solution??

Can anyone confirm or deny that the CruiserParts head for $1300 is not the same or of similar quality to this half-cost Chinese head on ebay Cylinder Head for Toyota Dyna/Dyna 200/Coaster/Land Cruiser/Toyo-ace 3.4D 3B old | eBay They both seem to come set up the same way with pre-cups and stems so I was curious to know if CruiserParts is just an expensive waste of time.

Does anyone know of any used heads out there?

-Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom