3B BJ70 in BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have a 1978 BJ40 with the stock B engine.
I would want to replace the B engine with a 3B with a turbo, and keep my 4 speed.
Does anyone know if a 3B engine (NOT with rotary fuel pump) from a BJ70 will be a straigth swap or does anything need to be changed ? I have sourced a good one from a BJ70 with power steering pump. It would be nice if it is a straigth swap.

Thanks !

Hi Niels

Is your a 78 with the reduction gear starter or a 77 with the direct gear starter? I f it has the reduction gear starter then it will be easier.It is an almost straight swap but there are always details that have to be moved from one engine to another like the EDIC and with the ps on the 3B it has a different thermostat housing facing to the opposite side.Try to contact a few of the Belgian guys that have done this like Kleine Koen or maybe give Mark Eyckens a call.

Joe

Hey,

What is the difference between the reduction starter and direct gear starter? How can i identify them? I did contact someone over here who knows its stuff and he told me it would be a direct swap, he said i could use the bj70 flywheel and clutch, but use bj40 bellhousing with the plate in between the block and bellhousing from the bj40. Id have to use the bj40 glow plugs aswell. Thermostat housing he told me to relocate the water tube.
I just bought the engine with the purpose of turbocharging it. At first offcourse ill do a compression test to make sure its in good shape!

I checked with some photos from both starters and my 40 has the gear reduction stater, so I just keep my old starter.
I have the engine lying in the garage. The head has been shaved and it has a new headgasket. It has 250,000km on it.
I already put a bit of oil in the glowplug holes and cranked the engine by hand so the pistonrings have some lubrictation because the engine hasn't been started for like a year. I also checked the valve clearances (cold obviously) and adjusted them a bit as i found they where a bit loose, and also lubricated everything under the valve cover.
Before i hook up a battery to crank it and check compression, would there be anything else I could do or check?

Not really those 3B's are pretty much indestructible and bullet proof .

Hey guys,
Sooo, i did a compression check and got the following numbers
1: 30bar / 435 psi
2: 27 bar / 391 psi
3: 27 bar / 391 psi
4: 30 bar/ 435 psi

I think these are pretty good, keep in mind the engine is still out of the vehicle so these numbers are COLD, valves adjusted COLD aswell, and the head has been rebuilt and shaved a little. The engine hasn't run since.

I want to build a turbo on this engine, and I want to drain the turbo's oil into the lifter rod cover, so I removed the cover today to find there is quite some black sludge built up inside the lower engine. It really looks and feels filthy.
It looks like it hasn't been serviced well trough the years.
How big of a problem is this ? I have not removed the oil pan yet but i suspect to find the same in there.

2h67z0y.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom