34s vs 35s on the 200 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@RyanR I'm running 35s and have a 285/65r20 spare that I couldn't get under the truck without rubbing the track bar.

i opted for a 295/70 r 18 on a cheapo tudra spare wheel.

Toyo ATII tend to run more true to advertised size than some other brands. maybe you could fit a 285/65 under there, but it will be tight.

It stinks that the full-size 200 can't easily run a bigger tire than a 5th Gen 4Runner. I want to talk myself into selling my TRD Pro for another 200 to properly build out but every time I think about it the more it just makes sense to keep the 4Runner and continue building it. I will say that the 200 looks fantastic on 35's, but I agree that beyond 34's you seem to reach a point of diminishing returns and it really just isn't worth the trade-offs at that point.

It stinks that the full-size 200 can't easily run a bigger tire than a 5th Gen 4Runner. I want to talk myself into selling my TRD Pro for another 200 to properly build out but every time I think about it the more it just makes sense to keep the 4Runner and continue building it. I will say that the 200 looks fantastic on 35's, but I agree that beyond 34's you seem to reach a point of diminishing returns and it really just isn't worth the trade-offs at that point.

Having run 35’s for two years...I agree that 35’s look good...but I’ve also concluded that my 34’s look nicely balanced too... And the performance improvement over my 35’s has been super clear—especially given the exact same tire design—Ridge Grapplers), with width/height being the only change.
494A1FAE-7DB2-4574-9D7A-76ACCD51E256.jpeg
D9B37744-30DA-4541-B9DD-751F374EE07E.jpeg

(The closer truck on left below)
BAF06D27-5A9F-4C12-B051-CCE3465B5D81.jpeg

Last edited:
The advice in this thread was very helpful. First mods this week began with tinting the windows, then Spidertrax 1.25 spacers and Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/18's. Definitely getting some rubbing, so the mud flaps will be coming off and then likely some heat gun work on wherever it's touching. Getting some BP-51's ordered up and likely going with the 2721 springs on the rear, hoping to keep it as friendly and soft as possible around town.

818F394F-62BF-4DB7-8A8A-553007A373DD_1_105_c.jpeg

IMG_0167.jpeg

IMG_0177.jpeg

The advice in this thread was very helpful. First mods this week began with tinting the windows, then Spidertrax 1.25 spacers and Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/18's. Definitely getting some rubbing, so the mud flaps will be coming off and then likely some heat gun work on wherever it's touching. Getting some BP-51's ordered up and likely going with the 2721 springs on the rear, hoping to keep it as friendly and soft as possible around town.

View attachment 2559374
View attachment 2559377
View attachment 2559385
Did you check clearance without spacers?

Did you check clearance without spacers?
No, I went straight to the spacers. I’ll try to take some pictures of where they are touching before I remove anything.

They’re going to rub the Uca without spacers.

I ran 285/70/18 RGs on my stock 16 with only the mudflaps removed and only barely rubbed in the front which was easily molded away. I put BP51s on and didn't have any rubbing though it looked like Slee trimmed the front bumper slightly in a couple places which probably helped more than I realized. I eventually added the 0.75" Bora spacers after about a year and felt it worked and looked better, but I didn't have any issues stock. This picture is 100% stock on 285/70/18 RGs without running boards.

ACtC-3fwf9-5zSV2xvR45nJcyZ8timxrdwZNzBwG1A7zb264zZvyc-tP8hlREQsBTy111LIirkBaVufK_HxonITfG8Bl3Sl4HLYYm13ILrhuUhRHCoh8oL3ur0bzXayXKqS0PWfkNl5wu-HfgEwsCbiX8foUJQ=w1204-h937-no

Which tow hooks are those?

I ran 285/70/18 RGs on my stock 16 with only the mudflaps removed and only barely rubbed in the front which was easily molded away. I put BP51s on and didn't have any rubbing though it looked like Slee trimmed the front bumper slightly in a couple places which probably helped more than I realized. I eventually added the 0.75" Bora spacers after about a year and felt it worked and looked better, but I didn't have any issues stock. This picture is 100% stock on 285/70/18 RGs without running boards.

ACtC-3fwf9-5zSV2xvR45nJcyZ8timxrdwZNzBwG1A7zb264zZvyc-tP8hlREQsBTy111LIirkBaVufK_HxonITfG8Bl3Sl4HLYYm13ILrhuUhRHCoh8oL3ur0bzXayXKqS0PWfkNl5wu-HfgEwsCbiX8foUJQ=w1204-h937-no
I stand corrected. i had 275/65/18 and I didn’t think there was another vertical inch there to the uca.

Removing those running boards definitely improves the look in my opinion. Great...one more thing to do this weekend!

I stand corrected. i had 275/65/18 and I didn’t think there was another vertical inch there to the uca.

It seems every truck is slightly different though. I also put 275/65/20 KO2s on a totally stock LX with zero issues, but others had UCA rubbing. Maybe I am just lucky 😂

It seems every truck is slightly different though. I also put 275/65/20 KO2s on a totally stock LX with zero issues, but others had UCA rubbing. Maybe I am just lucky 😂

Fingers crossed I don't have issues when mine go on next week haha. Already thinking about ordering wheel spacers.

Last edited:
Each tire brand and model has slightly different dimensions too...

Each tire brand and model has slightly different dimensions too...

True and BFG's notoriously run on the smaller side of their indicted size.

Removing those running boards definitely improves the look in my opinion. Great...one more thing to do this weekend!
Don't worry, it won't take up much of your time. Probably will take longer to figure out what to do with them once you are carrying them around than it will to take them off. ;)

It sounds like many of you are running the BP51 setups. I'm about to order and thinking about going with the 2721 rear springs. Any concerns?

Thanks for posting that.

I order my 285 / 70 / R18 Ridge Grapplers today, and already have the BP51. .. I ordered the BORA 0.75" but they are back ordered out to March. So I'll be running the them without spacers for a couple months. Unfortunately Toyo R/T's are not available in 285/70/18. Ridge Grapplers are the most comparable to the Toyo R/t's that I could find.

I tried the 285 / 75 R18 Toyo R/T's for size today, but they were having problems with the KDSS on the driver front tire, and looked like they would hit on front mud flap area if flexing even with the flap removed. I removed the Flaps for now. I'll see if I can reshape them to fit once the new tires are on.

It sounds like many of you are running the BP51 setups. I'm about to order and thinking about going with the 2721 rear springs. Any concerns?

If you are running stock and not towing a lot the 2721 match with the BP51 nice. They do lift the vehicle in proportion with the BP51.

I tow frequently and have the boxes, arb rear bumper, 40 gallon aux tank and heavy gear in the back so I have the 2724's.

Last edited:
Ridge Grappler's are pretty much the Nitto equivalent to the Toyo R/T's. I have run both and I love them damn near equally but I still have a soft spot for the Toyo R/T's. Just slapped some KO2's on the 200 which is also one of my all time favorites, it's the misses favorite tire by far and it's what she requested, I would have gone with the RG's otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom