300 series first impressions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hey all,

Just wanted to share my first impressions on our new 2022 Toyota Land Cruiser VXR (VJA300).
It’s finished in Pearl White (090), with a beige interior.
I only rode in it 12km (7.5mi) or so, so I can’t comment much on it, but so far I think I love it.
Some slightly odd things I’ve noticed:
-The turn signal sound is less “premium” sounding / feeling than the 200.
-The seatbelt chime is much louder.
-The suspension is floaty at times and super comfortable, but there were a few slightly harsher jolts here and there.

I’m sort of conflicted about it.. on one hand, it’s a huge improvement over the 200 in all aspects, such as convenience (Apple CarPlay, heated/cooled rear seats, etc). On the other hand, it feels like it lost its “uniqueness”, the exterior is a bit bland IMO (front looks like a Chinese SUV, rear looks a bit like a patrol).
I feel like it’s more of a “Luxury Cruiser” than a “Land Cruiser”, but my opinion will most likely change over time.

Sorry for the terrible pictures, but it’s quite humid at night currently and we’ve had it for less than a day. I’m hoping on doing a proper photoshoot / short cinematic hopefully fairly soon..
36F5EC41-5E1B-47BE-8247-923095156892.jpeg

B87A6AEB-E4C9-4132-BC10-0FC1E4123EDE.jpeg

37BEA536-C29F-4DB6-8568-7AB5F1B711FB.jpeg

846146AE-7274-408B-AA8C-1A4E78B5398C.jpeg

DA8E86EA-4B83-4AC5-89BC-9EC9864466B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it body on boxed frame? mechanical lockers? center diff lock? looks like a toy!

Is it body on boxed frame? mechanical lockers? center diff lock? looks like a toy!
I forgot to check, but I believe it has a center diff lock only.
The base model has rear and center diff locks I believe.

Congrats on the new ride! What’s the 3rd row legroom like? Better or the same as the previous gen?
Thanks! I haven’t sat in the third row yet (and it’ll probably take a while for me to do that) - but I believe the third row has more legroom, whereas the 2nd row is slightly more cramped than the previous gen.

How's the boosted V6 to drive?

Can you lower the rear liftgate window? If so, can you do it from the remote to load things in or out w/o opening liftgate?

How's the boosted V6 to drive?
I haven’t driven it yet (I’m still ~1 year away from getting a Driver’s license), but there was a video where the transmission had harsh shifts (I believe 1 –> 2 and 2 —> 3), but it was a worst case scenario.
I believe NVH has been drastically improved, it feels quieter at speed than the 200.
Can you lower the rear liftgate window? If so, can you do it from the remote to load things in or out w/o opening liftgate?
Do you mean like the GX460 / 4Runner? If that’s what you mean, then nope.
But you can open the tailgate by kicking underneath the rear bumper, and from the keyfob.

Can you take pictures of underneath? Front suspension components and rear end etc.

Thanks! I haven’t sat in the third row yet (and it’ll probably take a while for me to do that) - but I believe the third row has more legroom, whereas the 2nd row is slightly more cramped than the previous gen.

I am really shocked to hear about the second row being “more” cramped. The second row is already so small.

I was very hopeful that the second row would be larger on this iteration (personally, my most wanted feature) so to envision it being even smaller is hard to believe. The second row is already very difficult to have rear facing car seats and my somewhat tall wife, in the front seat. I am taller than her so us switching is not a solution. To think there would be even less space is disappointing.

Is it possible that you haven’t slid the second row back to its maximum reverse position?

Can you take pictures of underneath? Front suspension components and rear end etc.
My friend sent me these, I think they’re of the base model:
9D3BDC2A-1AE4-4CE9-B756-2B0AA250E3EF.jpeg

567BB03A-E651-4DB3-9EC3-29042AF04704.jpeg

Unfortunately I don’t have any, sorry to disappoint you!
That grill….😬
It’s pretty reminiscent of the 16+ 200 series from this angle:
D9DCAB87-F40E-438C-9BA7-5431A45389FD.jpeg

I am really shocked to hear about the second row being “more” cramped. The second row is already so small.

I was very hopeful that the second row would be larger on this iteration (personally, my most wanted feature) so to envision it being even smaller is hard to believe. The second row is already very difficult to have rear facing car seats and my somewhat tall wife, in the front seat. I am taller than her so us switching is not a solution. To think there would be even less space is disappointing.

Is it possible that you haven’t slid the second row back to its maximum reverse position?
I sat in the second row today and it felt slightly more cramped than the 200, but it could be due to seating position.
I checked today and I believe the diff lock(s) (if it exists) is electronic.
Here’re the buttons on the side of the steering wheel:
0F38778B-052F-4700-B0BE-A4A3EE725EEA.jpeg

EEA24F27-C8BD-4FB7-8D10-E8AEA46CAE05.jpeg

I'd love to know the reasoning for dumping the split gate and not giving it a powered rear window. Perhaps the move to aluminum panels played a role.
I tried getting into the tailgate area and it was a bit harder than I would’ve liked, the load lip is a bit too high, I had to grab on to the cargo cover to help myself get in.

Same. Would love to see some official interior dimension specs. It does like they gave up more second row space for the 3rd row?

Congrats but based on your overall review, I would have no interest in buying a 300 and it’s a good thing they didn’t bring it to the U.S. Probably have worse sales.

Same, I'm sort of glad too now. I don't like the new looks or how the tailgate is now one piece. But, thank you for sharing with us. Seeing pics and hearing a hands-on opinion is very much appreciated.

Warning: self promotions ahead

Posted a short cinematic on YouTube for those interested:

Also posted the first part of an in-depth overview that’s mostly objective on Instagram, linked here.

Do the window stickers show fuel economy ratings? I looked through a few videos and couldn't really tell and I haven't seen any fuel economy numbers posted online yet. More power is great but curious to see what the efficiency is like with 400lbs weight reduction and the move to twin turbo V6. Congrats on the new ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom