3.4 Toyota or 4.3 Vortec swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody a friend of mine has a 95 4runner he wants to actually have B@!!$ so the 3.slow has gotta go we are not sure if anewer 3.4 toyota motor(coolness factor of stayin all toyota)or the big B@!!$ simplicity of a 4.3 chevy swap(did i mention actual power!)if anyone has done either of these let me know we r still in the planning phase.thanx

I am in the midst of my 4.3l vortec swap with 4l60e tranny and dual cases. If I could've found a 3.4l locally, I would have been all over that swap. The only issue now is that the company that was making the harnesses for the 3.4l (ORS?) is now defunct. i'm sure you can find someone to work the harness, but it starts adding up.

what kind of transmission is he going to run? what are his plans for it when he is done? is he doing the work himself, or is he having a shop do it?

lots of other questions to ask. nothing is easy...I can tell you that.

bk

We were making 4.3 conversions well before Toyota made a 3.4 engine. Our take is this:
(a) If you use a Toyota 3.4, it will be stock and possibly have 185 h.p., or you can install a $4-5,000 TRD supercharger and have 285 h.p., until the supercharger blows the piss out of your rist pins and connecting rods. If you opt for this choice, PM me and I can tell you how to unscramble the wiring without needing a new harness.
(b) If you opt for the 4.3, 200 h.p. out of the box, then another 25 h.p. with a Jet Chip, etc. etc.---and the performance gains just keep rolling on and on!!!!!

Heres the problems #1 he is a die hard toyota purist and really wants an all toyota,manual tranny vehicle #2 thats gonna be $$$ and PITA #3He might compromise on the chevy motor but probably not the slushbox #4 between us we got several 22re's and 3.0 sixes and half a dozen parts trucks from 84-95 but not a bit of knowledge or parts about anything 96 and newer thanx alot fj40 and Downey whos catalog we were looking thru just the other day

Being a toyota purist as well, I would vote 100% hands down do the 3.4. If power is really important then drop in a 7mge, that has 220 hp out of the box and you can easily get upwords of 500 horse out of it, and its still toyota, and its just awsome. There is really good 5 speed toyota tranny options for both the 3.4 and the 7mge.

Neither.

hilux.jpg

Seriously.

Dan

3.4 all the way vortec's are way to finicky the nozzles have problems
and if fuel pressure drops at they wont run

Last edited:
I have done the 4.3 multiport in a 4runner. And I have done the V8 in a mini-trucck a couple of tims too. I was not impressed with the power of the 4.3 and the fit was tighter than I expected.... The wiring was more problematic than it shouild have been... and yep, problems with the nozzles too. If I had that one to do over again I would installed a 350 instead.

The 43 pulled no stronger... and possible weaker... than a 3.4 in a tacoma.

The 3.4 is a clean and simple swap.

And used 3.4s are becoming more common and cheaper too :)

Mark...

We were making 4.3 conversions well before Toyota made a 3.4 engine. Our take is this:
(a) If you use a Toyota 3.4, it will be stock and possibly have 185 h.p., or you can install a $4-5,000 TRD supercharger and have 285 h.p., until the supercharger blows the piss out of your rist pins and connecting rods. If you opt for this choice, PM me and I can tell you how to unscramble the wiring without needing a new harness.
(b) If you opt for the 4.3, 200 h.p. out of the box, then another 25 h.p. with a Jet Chip, etc. etc.---and the performance gains just keep rolling on and on!!!!!

Being one of the oldest Toyota outfitters, I would expect better of you. Your assesment of the 3.4 SC relaiblility and cost is BS :rolleyes:

I have done 3 3.4 swaps and my buddy will be starting his 4.3 swap soon. Its hard to say which one is better.

The 3.4 is expensive, but powerful and reliable! Also you can SC it and it is much more reliable than "Downey" will have you believe. Plus its toyota.

The 4.3 is cheap, you can get parts everywhere for cheap. But they are (in my experiance) a piece of junk compared to the 3.4. and while they do have plenty of power, (in my experiance) they dont age well and experiance a noticable power loss over time. But hey we wrench on our crap all the time and the 4.3 can be easily brought back to life over and over again.

BTW, I have a 3.4 in my 92 4runner auto which weighs 5000-5500lbs and I just drove around on a set of 42's @ 18psi, and the motor didnt even care!

Being one of the oldest Toyota outfitters, I would expect better of you. Your assesment of the 3.4 SC relaiblility and cost is BS :rolleyes:

I have done 3 3.4 swaps and my buddy will be starting his 4.3 swap soon. Its hard to say which one is better.

The 3.4 is expensive, but powerful and reliable! Also you can SC it and it is much more reliable than "Downey" will have you believe. Plus its toyota.

The 4.3 is cheap, you can get parts everywhere for cheap. But they are (in my experiance) a piece of junk compared to the 3.4. and while they do have plenty of power, (in my experiance) they dont age well and experiance a noticable power loss over time. But hey we wrench on our **** all the time and the 4.3 can be easily brought back to life over and over again.

BTW, I have a 3.4 in my 92 4runner auto which weighs 5000-5500lbs and I just drove around on a set of 42's @ 18psi, and the motor didnt even care!

AMEN Brother!:cheers:

Doh.... he sells conversion kits......

Have you seen a single post from Downy where he is not pushing his stuff?

Mark...

not trying to offend anyone, but I think that toyota has superior engineering, espically when compared to G.M. In about 15 minutes I will be heading back to school, in Flint Mi. the home of gm. That city is so typical of the gm/american auto attitude. Lots of stupid, fat and lazy people there, they made GM, I dont want to associate with them or support their company.
In the time frame that most of your vehicles were built, assuming 80's and 90's, toyotas are way better built than GM's. I would not insult my toyota by putting a s***ty 4.3L out of a blazer, thats just wrong. So now you have a well made truck, with good fit and finish with a ticking time bomb under the hood. Whats the point?
You want a 4.3, than go get yourself a blazer, put a big lift on it and go offroad it. You will probally have to hitch a ride home in a yota.

Supercharged 5VZ all the way!!!!!
sorry for the rant, no hijack intended. just flint is a depressing place.

t would be a crying shame if we were to squander this opportunity by handing it to a monstrously large and largely ineffective hydra with a well documented history of turning on itself and eating its young..

Quoted for truth.

But seriously: 1KZ-TE. The end.

Dan

where does one get 1KZ parts here in the states?

Same place one gets 3B, 2H, 1HZ, 2LT-E parts....

CDan, or from Canada. ;)

Seriously, it's not that hard. A lot of parts cross over. The hard part is getting part numbers. I have yet to be snookered on parts--and I don't own a single US-spec vehicle.

Dan

thanx for all the advice guys i dont know what hes gonna do but hes leading away from the chevy motor probably i told him to do what i do run a 22re like you stole it and the cops are behind you........yeah 7-8 grand shifts all day...........im trying to blow up my automatic to justify swappin it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom