2L Diesel Clutch Confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've got an 87 JDM Hilux Double Cab with a factory 2L engine and W56 transmission. I'm headed towards the HD Marlin kit for a little bit of an upgrade but they have 2 different size flywheels 8-7/8" and 9-15/16" with another listing for a kit to switch up to the larger flywheel.

I'd like to put in the larger flywheel and the 1200lb clutch kit but even after contacting them I get no response and no confirmation if that will fit. Anyone deal with this yet?

Based on part numbers, it appears the L-series diesels use a unique clutch cover and disk. It also appears that the clutch cover is different between turbo and non-turbo L's, but the disk is the same.

This suggests that the R-series engines do not share the same flywheel with the L-series diesels.

Well that isn't good news but it is certainly helpful. Marlin doesn't specify which of the listing is either gas or diesel so I'm going to assume they're for all the gas trucks. They list a 2.2/2.4.... than a 2.4..... than a 2.4 turbo so I'll just have to forget those.

Are you pulling part numbers off toyodiy.com? I've got the option to ship a clutch out of Australia that I'm sure is for a diesel but the shipping is just horrible so I'm using that as last resort. Also have the option to get a clutch out of the local Toyota dealer but they'll only order based on part numbers I give them without return so it's risky if I can't get all the information.

Are you pulling part numbers off toyodiy.com? I've got the option to ship a clutch out of Australia that I'm sure is for a diesel but the shipping is just horrible so I'm using that as last resort. Also have the option to get a clutch out of the local Toyota dealer but they'll only order based on part numbers I give them without return so it's risky if I can't get all the information.

Part numbers were pulled from Toyota's Fast Moving Parts Catalog.

Contact CruiserDan here at MUD. He is in Albuquerque, and will help you out.

CruiserDan doesn't have a catalog for the Hilux.

Went through the ToyoDIY website... got all the part numbers needed for my truck. Contacted a friend at a local Toyota dealer and retail cost for everything (flywheel, disc, plate, bolts, bearings, bushing) $2500.... I think I'll keep looking.

Give those part numbers to Dan.

I don't have the part numbers or receipts anymore, but when I ordered my clutch and flywheel from Marlin, for my 2L, a few years back, they were the exact same parts you would have ordered if you had a 4 cylinder Toyota gas motor. They use the same tranny behind both the 2L and 22R motors.

Hope that helps.

Adam

¿So a G52 will always utilise the same pressure plate and friction disc regardless of engine? - I can't confirm this myself because Australia never got the 2L and 22R in the same vehicle at the same time.

So you're saying I should be safe with the first clutch choice (I'd go 1,200lbs) and the first flywheel choice being the smallest one?

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 12.51.51 PM.png

Should be the same. I put a w56 from a 22re behind a 3L and used a new 22re clutch.

That's really good news. What about the flywheel? Did you use the 3L flywheel or 22RE? Was there even a difference?

I used the 3L flywheel.

It appears you have a two piece pressure plate much like the PZ motor.
You can try to match these numbers at your dealer for a USA match but I doubt you will have much luck.
You also failed to mention if you had a turbo model or non-turbo this would make a difference since the numbers below are non -turbo and a turbo model will probably use a heavier clutch assembly.
Fly wheel only list one for non-turbo separate number for turbo model

Clutch Disc
31250-30351(05/1986 - 08/1988)
Pressure Plate Cover
31201-19095
Pressure Plate

31221-39056
Fly Wheel
13405-59035
13405-59066 for tubo model

Last edited:
You lost me at the point you said I have a 2 piece pressure plate. Stated above I have a 2L engine (that's not a turbo motor) with a W56 transmission. I just find it hard to believe a motor and transmission unit I could buy from Toyota in Canada in 1984 is giving me no definite answers as to what would fit it. One day soon I'll take the gamble and just order some s*** and cross my fingers.

You have a Hilux when you say it is a 2lt I assume its a diesel motor ....if this is the case it is a different animal than the North American model which are gassers with the rare few that had a diesel motor.
Diesel parts are at times impossible to get in the USA especially when you are dealing with JDMs if you know the sources in Canada you can get most parts for JDMs other than that they have to be ordered and shipped from a source in Japan.
If you can provide more detail on your Helix I can give you precise part numbers whether from Japan or North America.
The information I referenced are from Toyota's data bank of parts world wide under the Japan Domestic Market.

Last edited:
If you have the VIN Toyota will support you in the US. You might need to find a dealer willing to go the extra mile to help. Fortunately we have several such dealers in the Land Cruiser community. Contact Cruiserdan or Beno here on MUD. I haven't dealt with Sam Stewart but he is another source.

I never said it was a 2L-T... I said it again... it's a 2L Engine and W56 transmission... again non-turbo.

I have access to Toyota Canada and I have all the parts numbers around here I could want, but it's $2500.

I just did a $1100 Toyota OEM water pump, timing belt, pullies and belts job. Before that was almost $1000 for a brake master and clutch master replacement. Once the idea came up that it was the same clutch as the gas-pots my options opened WAY up, just need to confirm it.

VIN from Japan doesn't work here, you can give them chassis codes being an LN65-MSP with a 2L engine but unless you know someone that won't get you very far. The legal VIN on the truck is issued to me by the province and doesn't have any useful information on it.

You sound a little pissy just trying to help...... try putting your location in your sign so we know where your from.... this will help when it comes to supplying a source for parts Canada vs USA.
Once again gasser parts # does not match for the Helix if you have access to all the numbers as you say then you would be able to run a crossover match which would tell you no match.

What you want from Toyota Canada is the clutch from a 1984 LN51L-KRA Forerunner/Truck but the flywheel/ring gear number does not match a Helix part number for 1987 you can take your chances on that part.
Try calling John at Radd Cruisers he may have those parts or can get them cheaper 2500 for the clutch sounds way out in left field to me all the prices you have paid are way off the mark sounds like a gouge from the dealership.

Last edited:
Not that I have the part number handy, but for certain--the flywheel is very different between a gas and a diesel engine. The diesel will have a heavier flywheel.

The clutch, however, is the same on the L and R series trucks.

I don't know for certain, but I think I remember that the 2L and 2L-T engines use a different flywheel than the 2LII-T, 2LT-E and 3L. I sourced a 3L flywheel back when I did my conversion, to replace the dual mass unit that came with my 2LT-E.

I'm not adding much, aside from the fact that the flywheel is without a doubt different between the gas and diesel engines, but the clutches are interchangeable.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom