2FE and/or H55F - got one and willing to demo/chat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2FEs are rare as hen's teeth. There are only a few that are on the road running good. They are a nice upgrade in a normally carbed rig, but fitment is a challenge. 60/62 series usually have to cut the hood and put on a scoop just for top clearance. Not sure about an 80 series. Low end power seems to be enhanced over both the F/2F and 3FE, but the 2FE still is more limited than the 3FE at top rpm due to the much longer stroke. I don't recall anyone on the 80's forum having a 2FE in an 80, but there may be some. Might be a good idea to canvas them to find out. John

2FEs are rare as hen's teeth. There are only a few that are on the road running good. They are a nice upgrade in a normally carbed rig, but fitment is a challenge. 60/62 series usually have to cut the hood and put on a scoop just for top clearance. Not sure about an 80 series. Low end power seems to be enhanced over both the F/2F and 3FE, but the 2FE still is more limited than the 3FE at top rpm due to the much longer stroke. I don't recall anyone on the 80's forum having a 2FE in an 80, but there may be some. Might be a good idea to canvas them to find out. John

Thx John. I haven't done a poll over on the main board but have read every single thread I can find concerning the 2FE. Was hoping someone local had done this so I could get a personal demo - doesn't appear to be the case.

Like all 3FE'ers, this is my white whale - the inability to pull freeway hills. I need to get over it.........had a great weekend all because of my 80.
--todd

Hey @tlin ,
I just thought I would let you know that I am in the process of building a 2fe to go into my 1992 fj80.
Although my reasons are a little different than yours. I do drive a land cruiser after all. :)
I am NOT looking for INCREASED power and drive-ability, though I will not tolerate decreased power and drive-ability.*
I am NOT looking for increased fuel economy, though I don't want decreased economy.*
*-Compared to my stock cruiser.

I AM looking for a good running and reliable engine that will take me where I want to go. And do it as well, and probably better than the 3fe.
Is it better than a V8, diesel, 1fz, etc. NO
Is it better than a 3fe in most practical applications (highway driving, wheeling, towing). DEFINITELY

I am doing this because I needed to rebuild my current 3fe anyway. And I like the challenge of throwing a 2f block in there and seeing what it drives like. As I progress further into the build I will start a build thread in the 80 series section.

To address what @inkpot said,
I don't think the limitations of the 2fe at higher revs vs the 3fe matter that much.
You are right though, the strong suit of a 2fe is increased torque and power down low.
Yes, there are actually two others that I know of that have swapped a 2fe into a fj80.
:cheers:

@landcruiser80 - thanks for input! I'll be watching for your thread, and want to wish you the best with this upgrade. Hoping you get to it soon and knock it out with any major headaches. :beer:

Knowing the wheeling should be as good, if not better, than the base 3FE - will you be able to easily hold 65+ mph going up a long freeway hill and do it without turning 4000 RPM the whole time? THAT is the question! :)

will you be able to easily hold 65+ mph going up a long freeway hill and do it without turning 4000 RPM the whole time? THAT is the question!
I don't think so, but we will see. I am actually planning on doing a three stage build.
Stage 1: Block Work.
Stage 2: Head Work.
Stage 3: Turbo.:)

I am doing it in stages so I can spend more $$$ on each stage and buy better components so as to get the most out of stage 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom