285/70R17 vs 255/75R17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a hitch receiver attached to the rear crossmember and i thought that was stock. Was a stock one offered?

Looking at it seems weak, soi shouldn’t be using it to pull stuck vehicles since it’s only rated at 5k lbs. Maybe I should use the rear tow loop to pull stuck vehicles.

If my tow hitch is stock, what’s the difference with the MT standard hitch receiver?
You’ll be fine to yank/ pull whatever rig you need to pull. The rating is regarding tongue weight and tow rating, not recovery purposes. I wasn’t aware that there was an OE for the crossmember or than the FJC style. When I looked up the tow package for the GX, it only listed the style that mounts to the frame rails. I bought the Metaltech one because it was about half the price of the FJC style and rated the same. Mounting was identical as OE and I wanted to keep as much clearance as possible.

I’m running 35 PSI in my spare. I did have to jockey it around while seating it and it’s smashed tight against the back of my hitch receiver but it fits.

Got it. I saw factory oem hitch receivers on amazon and eBay and mine looks like those.

My 285 ko2 wont fit the factory spare location when deflated with no factory hitch. I run a metaltech high clearance hitch which doesn't interfere with spare but still mounting the spare in factory location was a no go.

I bought worn but not bald 285/70-17 KO that fits in the spare location. I do have a frame rail hitch. Odd

My 285 ko2 wont fit the factory spare location when deflated with no factory hitch. I run a metaltech high clearance hitch which doesn't interfere with spare but still mounting the spare in factory location was a no go.

Hmm I was able to fit a new fully deflated 285/70 ko2 underneath with the full size towing hitch, its tight but it goes. Im running the 285/70 General ATX now which is a notch larger and they fit as well.

I have been doing a lot of reading and research. Assuming a 2-2.5" lift with Bilstein 6112s in front and 5160s in back while retaining airbags.

285/70R17 ~ 32.7"
Pro:
Beefier

Con:
Rubbing - have to trim
Won't fit in stock spare location (probably use a Wilco Hitchgate)
Lose backup cam if on Hitchgate
A bit more expensive

255/75R17 ~ 32.1"
Pro:
No rubbing
Should fit in stock spare location

Con:
Not quite as big
Don't get to look cool with the Hitchgate and a Trasharoo?

It seems like more people talk about the 285s. Why is that and what am I missing or not considering?

I have OME 2 inch lift with metal tech stage 2 spring conversion rear with 1.25 spacers, 285/70/17 BFG KO2's on stock rims, mild inner fender trim with no other rubbing. Full 285/70 spare will not fit with receiver mounted to stock cross member. Have Wilco high-clearance Hitchgate ordered from Jegs and should ship this week. I'll post pics of spare on hitchgate once it's in.

front lift.jpg
rear lift2.jpg

Besides the restriction of the tow hitch or cross member on the outer side, there’s another bar in the inner side. Maybe some people have that inner bar bent more than others. Just guessing

Here is my attempt with a new ST Maxx 255/80-17. 3/4” SSO spacers, full factory hitch. Squarely on the panhard

9EAEACC8-497C-4B33-9773-A1644CF33958.jpeg

3BB44487-F557-432C-A35D-0232127D9C5A.jpeg

Are some of you ‘muscling’ the deflated 285/70 into the spare tire location underneath? Or using something to help lift it?

I'm running 255/75 cooper stmaxx LR C.
Are you experiencing any pull to the Right with these? I have these in 255/85r16 E rated on a Sprinter 4x4 and it pulls to the right. Alignment is good, I’ve researched and found others in only certain sizes experience the same thing because of the center tread pattern. Great tires otherwise.

I have 285/70 and rub a little at full lock on the sway bar, especially bad in reverse. I thought that was the only location too until I crawled under recently and see rubbing on the upper control arms too.

Rubbing on Factory UCA’s?

Are some of you ‘muscling’ the deflated 285/70 into the spare tire location underneath? Or using something to help lift it?

Are you experiencing any pull to the Right with these? I have these in 255/85r16 E rated on a Sprinter 4x4 and it pulls to the right. Alignment is good, I’ve researched and found others in only certain sizes experience the same thing because of the center tread pattern. Great tires otherwise.

Rubbing on Factory UCA’s?
Yes, factory UCAs. I do have a 3/4 inch leveling spacer on top of strut, but that shouldn't affect anything sideways, only up and down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom