285/70R17 vs 255/75R17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been doing a lot of reading and research. Assuming a 2-2.5" lift with Bilstein 6112s in front and 5160s in back while retaining airbags.

285/70R17 ~ 32.7"
Pro:
Beefier

Con:
Rubbing - have to trim
Won't fit in stock spare location (probably use a Wilco Hitchgate)
Lose backup cam if on Hitchgate
A bit more expensive

255/75R17 ~ 32.1"
Pro:
No rubbing
Should fit in stock spare location

Con:
Not quite as big
Don't get to look cool with the Hitchgate and a Trasharoo?

It seems like more people talk about the 285s. Why is that and what am I missing or not considering?

Most people prefer big fat tires, thus the 285/70s are popular. These tires also seem to look good on gx470 with 2” to 2.5” lift.

There’s a group of people including some military personnel that say pizza cutter (tall skinny) tires work better in a lot of terrain.

255/75R17s are good on your stock oem wheels with no spacers. Some people run 255/80R17s for a taller skinny tire but you need to trim and deflate the spare tire in same size.

I would not hesitate to go to a 255/80R17 tire on 17x8 wheels with zero offset. Unfortunately, I have 17x9 wheels and don’t feel like tossing them yet.

I would likely have different wheels. As much as this would be my truck, my wife likes to have input on aesthetic things as well, haha. For example she really like the matte black TRD Pro wheels I showed her on a truck I test drove last week. She also likes the FrontRunner Slimline rack over a DIY 8020 rack. Fortunately for me, her aesthetic choices are all pretty good.

Where do you carry your spare?

I’m running a slightly smaller spare 255/75R17 BFG KM. It’s about 1/2” smaller than the 285s. In stock spare location

Last edited:
I'm running 255/75 cooper stmaxx LR C on 17x8.5 wheels w/-6 backspacing and i like them. the backspacing gives them a nice amount of poke and they have taken me everywhere i've wanted to go..They handle exceptionally well on the road and seem quiet but that might be the lexus soundproofing ....Only time i think they look kinda small is right beside a vehicle with bigger tires :) other wise i think they fit the proportions of the truck ok and it didnt hurt my feelings to not have to do a body mount chop and chase rubbing issues around.... I actually prefer having the spare underneath.... my back isnt getting any younger and the stock cable lift makes my regular 5 tire rotations just that little bit easier.
20180626_192032 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I think visually I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two at a distance. It certainly looks like there are more options in the 285s, but the main tires I would buy are available in the 255/75 as well.

Part of me likes the idea of the Wilco Hitchgate for a few reasons:
1) Easier access to the spare
2) Can mount my small propane tank on it via a Bug Out Rack to keep it off the roof rack
3) Can mount a BROG tire storage bag

But there is no reason I couldn't do the 255/75s and still run the Hitchgate.

I run 285/70s and the only rubbing I had up front was on the front fender (inner plastic). I was a 10-15 minute fix to readjust and move the liner forward. Spare fits as well but I don't have KDSS or the factory tow assembly and all airbag accessories are removed. It will come down to what you prefer as to a wider tire or pizza cutter. Although I have always found pizza cutters to be more utilitarian, I haven't had any issues with my wider tires or felt limited on or off-road.

I run 285/70s and the only rubbing I had up front was on the front fender (inner plastic). I was a 10-15 minute fix to readjust and move the liner forward. Spare fits as well but I don't have KDSS or the factory tow assembly and all airbag accessories are removed. It will come down to what you prefer as to a wider tire or pizza cutter. Although I have always found pizza cutters to be more utilitarian, I haven't had any issues with my wider tires or felt limited on or off-road.
I have 285/70 and rub a little at full lock on the sway bar, especially bad in reverse. I thought that was the only location too until I crawled under recently and see rubbing on the upper control arms too. I'm on 6 spoke FJ wheels with 15 mm offset, oem is 25 mm offset, so I imagine with stock wheels it would be worse.

When these wear out I'll be going to 255/75. What I've read and watched skinnier tires do better off road, they have higher contact pressure, except in deep sand. they are lighter and have less rolling resistance as well. Hoping to increase MPGs by 1 or 2 also as this is my daily driver - but heck if I've accepted this as my daily, then I deserve any of the consequences.

@runningdrew. Makes sense what you are describing. FJ wheels will rub if not very close depending of the manufacturer of tire. I had to run spidertrax with OE wheels and 285s. The best solution that I've found is running LR UCA's. I now run 8.5 wheels w/ 0 offset and no longer rub. Spidertrax will get you away from the OE UCA but will cause you to rub at the body mount...

Sorry for the ramble but it is a crazy circle. To conclude. 8.5 wheel, 0 offset, LR UCAs w/ caster adjusted with 285s is the sweetspot.

@runningdrew. Makes sense what you are describing. FJ wheels will rub if not very close depending of the manufacturer of tire. I had to run spidertrax with OE wheels and 285s. The best solution that I've found is running LR UCA's. I now run 8.5 wheels w/ 0 offset and no longer rub. Spidertrax will get you away from the OE UCA but will cause you to rub at the body mount...

Sorry for the ramble but it is a crazy circle. To conclude. 8.5 wheel, 0 offset, LR UCAs w/ caster adjusted with 285s is the sweetspot.
I want to use spacers really only for looks when I get skinnier tires, but don't want to grenade my bearings, is that a risk, higher bearing wear? Or not an issue as long as you have them 8nstalled and torques appropriately? What width did you use and what are the prices?

I want to use spacers really only for looks when I get skinnier tires, but don't want to grenade my bearings, is that a risk, higher bearing wear? Or not an issue as long as you have them 8nstalled and torques appropriately? What width did you use and what are the prices?
I ran Spidertrax 1.25" hubcentric spacers for 4 years with no adverse issues. I did replace wheel bearings but the rig had about 130K on it at the time, was lifted, was wheeled almost monthly, so I didn't attribute replacing due to spacers but rather normal wear and abuse. I bought the GX w/ 150K on it and according to service records, the bearings were replaced around the same mileage and the GX was completely stock when I bought it.

Toyota Hub Centric Wheel Spacer Kit

These are what I ran and they are very popular in the Taco/ FJC community. You can expect to pay around $100 a pair. I removed and sold mine after I installed my wheel/tire combo onto the GX and realized that they weren't needed anymore. I'm right at the edge of the fenders with the wheels alone and didn't want to protrude any further.

@runningdrew below is the FJ with the exact same setup as to what is on the GX. Same lift, same wheel/tire combo but with the 1.25” spacers. And then the GX with the same setup without the spacers.

DB8FCB0E-265B-4448-8EF1-E6A7CADEA658.jpeg
A08F1DB3-D069-4B51-B827-D06E86146AAF.jpeg
9861A291-BDB4-4621-9389-F5312FA6CB5B.jpeg

I run 285/70s ....Spare fits as well but I don't have KDSS or the factory tow assembly and all airbag accessories are removed.

i tried putting a 255/80 but it sat squarely against the panhard. No KDSS, but i do have the factory hitch. Your 285 can clear? Do you have any kind of hitch at all?

I ended up showing the Hitchgate to my wife and she actually prefers the look of having a tire hanging off the back so I guess I'll be getting a Hitchgate when the time comes. The size doesn't really matter as much now.

i tried putting a 255/80 but it sat squarely against the panhard. No KDSS, but i do have the factory hitch. Your 285 can clear? Do you have any kind of hitch at all?
I tried same size with KDSS, compact hitch and 2" lift. I am short about 3/4". Taller lift might give more clearance since the axle would move forward some more. Would still hit when the suspension cycles.

I’m using the Metaltech standard hitch receiver that directly mounts to the rear crossmember. It’s rated for 5K which is plenty for what I use it for. The OE receiver that mounts to the frame rails is rated at 6.5K

I have a hitch receiver attached to the rear crossmember and i thought that was stock. Was a stock one offered?

Looking at it seems weak, soi shouldn’t be using it to pull stuck vehicles since it’s only rated at 5k lbs. Maybe I should use the rear tow loop to pull stuck vehicles.

If my tow hitch is stock, what’s the difference with the MT standard hitch receiver?

I have a Nitto Teragrappler 285/70/17 in spate location with the factory hitch. It probably runs small.

Fully inflated 285?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom