$2300 Quote from Maaco....what do you guys think? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's not the paint job that's expensive it's all the body work, I'm having the rust at the rear hatch treated, small damage at the front repaired and every panel pretty much has peeling clear coat so they need to deal with that. Stock rack already came off thankfully no rust, rear bumper is already off getting ready for my NWTI one, steps are off I'm putting sliders, flares are off replacing them with kut snake, I have an ARB front on there that should be a joy taking off I'm sure and I'm taking the lights off for them. I don't need this thing perfect I'm just looking for decent but I didn't expect $2300 from Maaco.

What do you guys think?

Estimate attached....does this seem about right?

View attachment 2893843
Btw, I saw in the other thread about what you drive when you’re not in your 80 that you have a Ferrari in your garage…ahem, and you’re concerned about a $2300 paint job? What gives man? Get a $20k paint job!!

Couple tips:

-Try to take off as much as you can.
-Get new badges and gaskets for fenders.
-Make sure you inventory everything with the painter that you drop off. Things like to go missing.
-Overall the color looks. I just told them the factory medium red pearl. If I could do it again I would see about getting them to spray a couple different colors first and then pick.
-Also plan on another $600-$800 for new gaskets, badges, plastic trims and other parts.
-I had them take out the front windshield and paint behind it. So get new gasket from Toyota. 100 bucks for new windshield and 120 labor. Well worth it.
-Of course label and put screws in bags.
-Ask about warranty. They said 3 years on mine. Lifetime would be the best but I don’t think these places really do a lifetime on repaints at this price

Last edited:
Btw, I saw in the other thread about what you drive when you’re not in your 80 that you have a Ferrari in your garage…ahem, and you’re concerned about a $2300 paint job? What gives man? Get a $20k paint job!!

Haha I didn't buy the Ferrari by being irresponsible with my working 7 days a week hard earned money!

I'm not sure so much as it's the $2300 as it is I'm giving $2300 to Maaco.....

Looks great! It's nice to see a paint job where they didn't just paint over the fender flare gaskets.

I've been reading about modern paint protection and apparently ceramic is where it's at these days. That and some paint protection film on the front edges should keep it looking great for years.

Looks great! It's nice to see a paint job where they didn't just paint over the fender flare gaskets.

I've been reading about modern paint protection and apparently ceramic is where it's at these days. That and some paint protection film on the front edges should keep it looking great for years.
Thanks yeah I got the Maguirs ceramic kit at the ready. Also, it’s not to bad taking of the flares. Well worth it for the result. I really didn’t have choice on the fender gaskets mine were trashed.

I had this painted by Maaco last year. Runs everywhere!!! It was in good shape too so easy. Looks like a guy who never painted anything before did it. Had them repaint it. Still problems.

53F1696E-EDE5-472E-8673-4707AD717248.jpeg

Looks great! Did you pull the flares then have them paint them separate or did they keep them on the truck?

Pulled the flares, probably harder to prep. But that way I know it gets painted underneath and I have the hardware. I left the front lights in at drop off. They took out and put back in. No big deal, but I can tell the screws on top are not Toyota and will rust because there not coated like the originals . I would also say depends on the shop. If they are experienced and competent and your paying a lot money you could probably have them take the off. I’m just a perfectionist and don’t trust others.

Pulled the flares, probably harder to prep. But that way I know it gets painted underneath and I have the hardware. I left the front lights in at drop off. They took out and put back in. No big deal, but I can tell the screws on top are not Toyota and will rust because there not coated like the originals . I would also say depends on the shop. If they are experienced and competent and your paying a lot money you could probably have them take the off. I’m just a perfectionist and don’t trust others.
What shop (location) did you use in San Antonio?

She's going in today or tomorrow weather permitting, don't want to drive through a storm with no headlights, grill and wipers.....tail lights I can take off when I get there.

Got the quote down to $2100 haha
Right on! Looking forward to your updates. Did they give you an estimated time for completion?

Right on! Looking forward to your updates. Did they give you an estimated time for completion?

They said a week!

Really looking forward to getting this part done and then going straight to my welder for the NWTI rear and XO Fab sliders, after that whatever else needs to be done such as the new seats and trim I have waiting in warehouse as well as sound deadening and some other small things I can do myself so that's it. Sell off the GX and be good to go, not going to lie though I didn't anticipate putting 10k into this pig when I bought it but it has gone in that direction if not more. I chose this LC instead of one more sorted aesthetically simply because she didn't have any rust, looking back on it maybe I shouldn't have jumped the gun but it is what it is it's done. Crazy that aesthetics now cost more for these trucks than anything mechanical but I guess that makes sense, last time I was in 80 land it was 4 years ago.....should have updated myself on things first but oh well.

They said a week!

Really looking forward to getting this part done and then going straight to my welder for the NWTI rear and XO Fab sliders, after that whatever else needs to be done such as the new seats and trim I have waiting in warehouse as well as sound deadening and some other small things I can do myself so that's it. Sell off the GX and be good to go, not going to lie though I didn't anticipate putting 10k into this pig when I bought it but it has gone in that direction if not more. I chose this LC instead of one more sorted aesthetically simply because she didn't have any rust, looking back on it maybe I shouldn't have jumped the gun but it is what it is it's done. Crazy that aesthetics now cost more for these trucks than anything mechanical but I guess that makes sense, last time I was in 80 land it was 4 years ago.....should have updated myself on things first but oh well.
You probably made the right decision even though you’re doubting yourself. Aesthetics mean different things to different people but if you chose this rig based on lack of rust and knowing it didn’t look as pretty, then kudos. IMHO, THAT is the right choice. I think people put too much emphasis on aesthetics. Hell, that’s the major reason why people perform all these crazy mods!

I too, like a clean paint job that is pleasing to the eye. My wife however, can’t give less Fs about it.

I’m looking forward to the new paint and PLEASE tell me you have “before” pictures and will post “after” pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom