$2300 Quote from Maaco....what do you guys think? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You probably made the right decision even though you’re doubting yourself. Aesthetics mean different things to different people but if you chose this rig based on lack of rust and knowing it didn’t look as pretty, then kudos. IMHO, THAT is the right choice. I think people put too much emphasis on aesthetics. Hell, that’s the major reason why people perform all these crazy mods!

I too, like a clean paint job that is pleasing to the eye. My wife however, can’t give less Fs about it.

I’m looking forward to the new paint and PLEASE tell me you have “before” pictures and will post “after” pictures.

As she currently sits....minus the ARB front

IMG_6913.jpg

What color are you using to paint it, back to green or something else?

Truck is all naked and going in tomorrow for paint, we got a storm over here so didn't want to drive through that with no lights and wipers, in my warehouse doing some random crap for when I get her back.......

Would appreciate some opinions considering I'm half color blind haha:banana:

Rear and front bumpers, sliders, window trim/framing, and grill are all going to be satin black. I picked up Teq emblems to replace the front and rear sombrero's and 100 series emblem for the lift gate. I hit the 100 series emblem with some hammered silver to try and match the silver in the Teq emblems and the rims but I'm not sure if it goes well together. Thinking maybe to also just hit the emblem satin black, the truck is going to be a dark grey so the emblem won't stick out much if it's satin black, not sure if that's good or bad thing.....

What do you guys think? Keep it this hammered silver or go satin black?

IMG_7044.jpg

I think the dark gray needs a satin black contrast. The hammered silver will blend too much and not look as good. It may be weird but I’m really excited to see the transformation of your 80 after paint.

I second satin black. Had a 71 vette I had painted gloss with satin black emblems and it really popped nicely. Excited as well to see how she comes out!

$2300 for rust repair, body repair, and full repaint? HAHAHAHAHA. Bro that’s $15-20k all day at a good shop. God have mercy on that poor truck if it ends up at MAACO.

That’s a bad sign!

This is actually the 3rd Maaco I got quotes from, each one is independently owned. First one I waited 20 minutes in the dingy empty lobby while the guy sat in his office doing nothing, the old man eventually came outside took half a look, legitimately just peeked his head outside the door and said "that thing needs too much work" and walked back inside.....I just left, if he wasn't some decrepit old man he would caught an earful at the least for wasting my time like that. Second one was in the hood, all the guy did the whole time was give me disclaimers that it wasn't going to look good, not even because of the truck itself no he flat out said "don't expect a lot" and he said that over and over whenever I was pointing out things I wanted done.....got the vibe that was a insurance scam front and that was it, lots of those kinds of body shops around Detroit.

This third one the guy was very professional, the shop was clean as a whistle and full of cars, the guys were all wearing matching Maaco gear and their clothes were clean even the guys in the back, he spoke proper english and pointed out things to me that should be done that I didn't even notice. He listened intently to everything I said and gave me straight no BS answers as to what to expect didn't try to upsell me once in fact he even saved me money on some things, been back there 3 times since with changes to the quote and each time got the same service. I'm going to give them a shot lets see what happens........

Last edited:
This is actually the 3rd Maaco I got quotes from, each one is independently owned. First one I waited 20 minutes in the dingy empty lobby while the guy sat in his office doing nothing, the old man eventually came outside took half a look, legitimately just peeked his head outside the door and said "that thing needs too much work" and walked back inside.....I just left, if he wasn't some decrepit old man he would caught an earful at the least for wasting my time like that. Second one was in the hood, all the guy did the whole time was give me disclaimers that it wasn't going to look good, not even because of the truck itself no he flat out said "don't expect a lot" and he said that over and over whenever I was pointing out things I wanted done.....got the vibe that was a insurance scam front and that was it, lots of those kinds of body shops around Detroit.

This third one the guy was very professional, the shop was clean as a whistle and full of cars, the guys were all wearing matching Maaco gear and their clothes were clean even the guys in the back, he spoke proper english and pointed out things to me that should be done that I didn't even notice. He listened intently to everything I said and gave me straight no BS answers as to what to expect, been back there 3 times since with changes to the quote and each time got the same service. I'm going to give them a shot lets see what happens........
Thanks for the perspective. I was just giving you a hard time but reading your experience, I wouldn’t do anything different.
I experienced something similar here in Hawaii. I went to the only MAACO here and it was a very discouraging experience. It was a small establishment and ran by a middle-aged woman who was incredibly kind and had good reviews BUT the rest of the crew and environment was a mess. They had friends, not actual employees helping and the woman was angry that an actual employee left without finishing the job so her friends began putting trim prices back on a customers vehicle. The whole place was disheveled and trash was strewn throughout the property. Hard pass!

All Maacos are not created equal as evident in your case. I’m sure you’ll get a good result but they’re in the business of making money so I think the adage “you get what you pay for” may apply here even if the owner is courteous and presents well.

Thanks for the perspective. I was just giving you a hard time but reading your experience, I wouldn’t do anything different.
I experienced something similar here in Hawaii. I went to the only MAACO here and it was a very discouraging experience. It was a small establishment and ran by a middle-aged woman who was incredibly kind and had good reviews BUT the rest of the crew and environment was a mess. They had friends, not actual employees helping and the woman was angry that an actual employee left without finishing the job so her friends began putting trim prices back on a customers vehicle. The whole place was disheveled and trash was strewn throughout the property. Hard pass!

All Maacos are not created equal as evident in your case. I’m sure you’ll get a good result but they’re in the business of making money so I think the adage “you get what you pay for” may apply here even if the owner is courteous and presents well.

To be honest with you I'm not expecting much other than a notch or two above a home re-spray and that's fine with me. It's a 25 year old truck with terrible paint as it sits, I just want it to be presentable I'm not looking for perfect by any means. I think all the other mods to it will easily detract from whatever quality issues there are with the paint job......

Save yourself the money and hassle and plastidip it man. If it’s gonna look like sht anyways at least you didn’t dump $2k into it

Pass, I would rather have bad shiny paint then dull rubber pain in the ass forget about resale coating.
You can forget about resale with Maaco too lol. At least dip you can easily strip, Macco you’re stuck with for good. Have you actually seen a Macco paintjob up close? It literally looks like they take about half hour to mask an entire vehicle and spray paint the thing outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom