22re temp gauge not working when t-stat removed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why would the temp gauge stop working when the t-stat is removed? Are these devices connected?

If it is cold weather and there is no thermostat to control the coolant temp, then it may not get warm enough to register on the gauge. John

because with out the thermostat(i wonder why it is called that) the fluid is in constant flow so it wll not heat up enough for you to see any movement on your stock gauge. i also have to tell you it will make a difference on how efficient your engine runs too.

I was allways worried about my temp gague not working until I flushed my coolant. When I completely drained everything (I think I had to pull my radiator for some reason) and filled it back up, there were obviously air pockets in there. I noticed that the first time i ran it for a test drive (hard drive) my temp gauge would go up to just below red, and quickly fall back to normal. It did this about 6 times. Since then I haven't seen the gauge move, until a week ago I had to pull the radiator again and it did the same thing, so i'm much less worried about the temp gauge not working. Might be worth a try, coolant is cheap.

I noticed that the first time i ran it for a test drive (hard drive) my temp gauge would go up to just below red, and quickly fall back to normal.

There's a different thermostat that fixes this: Toyota 4Runner and Pickup: Cheap Tricks

When changing coolant I always backfill the engine by removing the thermostat, pour it in there. Really reduces air pockets.

coolant is cheap.

Not Toyota red! It's almost $30 a gallon now!

Yea the t-stat with the combination of not having the o-ring around the stat. alot of people forget the ring when they re install the new stat.

Any one have issues with stock temp gauge???

Its always at half way not matter what. When I first turn on, it jumps half way.

I have an after market gauge with the censor past the thermostat housing...

Highjack over.

Any one have issues with stock temp gauge???

Its always at half way not matter what. When I first turn on, it jumps half way.

The stock gauge is very unreliable, not to be trusted. Besides, how old is it now?

I have an after market gauge with the censor past the thermostat housing...

Please elaborate, perhaps with a pic. I'm shopping for Autometer mechanical gauges now, looking for a place to sneak in the sensor, but I'd rather retain the factory gauge just for originality.

klf my intake had a second threaded hole in it, not all of them do though as i have a few and i think only 2 had that second threaded hole, they have a plug in the originally.

hey klf i just went out and looked i have six, and only the one installed on my truck has the second threaded hole, i am speculating this one came from the 85 auto trans i had, considering it is the only auto i have had.

hey klf i just went out and looked i have six, and only the one installed on my truck has the second threaded hole, i am speculating this one came from the 85 auto trans i had, considering it is the only auto i have had.

Where is the threaded hole? I have 3 complete intakes to look at now, 2 are 87's and the other is an '89.

I was thinking I would take the '89 intake and polish it out, it has the non-angled mount for the throttle body. There is a nice flat spot in the very front, above the two sensors that are sticking straight out. It would be easy to drill and tap it for another sensor.

the one i have it is right below the stock sending unit, the stock sending unit is on top halfway down the intake, the threaded hole is on the side just below where the stock sending unit is.

here is a pic of the area i am talking about.

closeup first...
toy4xfun-albums-bs-picture13452-mytruck-213.jpg

toy4xfun-albums-bs-picture13451-mytruck-212.jpg

i wish i had taken more pics when i was doing my engine work. i went out to get a pic of that area on my truck but you can not see any thing, i will try again.

My aftermarket is installed past the thermostat going to the radiator... Top hole on right elbow on second pic. And thats where I'm getting my readings from... HAd to add teflon to keep it from leaking.

the one i have it is right below the stock sending unit, the stock sending unit is on top halfway down the intake, the threaded hole is on the side just below where the stock sending unit is.

here is a pic of the area i am talking about.

closeup first...
toy4xfun-albums-bs-picture13452-mytruck-213.jpg

toy4xfun-albums-bs-picture13451-mytruck-212.jpg

if you look at my pic, that is the stock sending unit for the stock gauge.

the ECM is your computer, and where your aftermarket gauge is used to reside a temp sensor for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom