22re cold start trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having some cold start trouble with my '91 pickup with 22re. Tested the cold start thermo switch and it checked out fine (40ohms cold, 80 ohms hot), the cold start injector seemed weak when testing, so I replaced it with new ($ouch$) but it has not fixed the issue (damn). Still have to crank it a long time before it finally sputters to life when the temps are cold. When its above freezing, it starts right up.

I just checked voltage to csi while cranking and I am only getting 9V. The wires to the thermo switch and csi are kind of brittle, but not sure thats where i`m losing voltage. Any suggestions where to go from here?

I would start by checking all the grounds. There should be at least 2 on the engine: one in the middle of the intake down where the upper plenum attaches to the lower, then another at the back of the head to the firewall. Also check the bigger one that comes off the battery.

It might be time to actually replace them all, especially the battery one. Make one out of some nice #4 welding cable, crimp and heat shrink new ends. The factory cable is pretty minimal, and now that it's 29 years old, it could be hiding a poor connection under the insulation.

The one at the back of the head is easy to replace, about 8" long, some #8 wire and a couple of ring terminals.

When was the last time it got new plugs/wires/rotor? Valve adjustment? TPS adjustment?

Might want to also take a look at the IACV.

I recently had an issue with cold starting. My issue was leaking injectors. Once I sent them off for rebuilding and installed, the truck lights right up when cold. Also, at one point I had to replace the CSI connector. It's the same as the other four, and very available. If you get the other 4 rebuilt, you might see if they can also rebuild the CSI.

Engine Cooling System Temperature Sensor Connector CRB 218545 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)

Edit: Better price.

Last edited:
Truck has a new battery and terminals and grounds are good. I`ll see if I can test the iacv, but it idles up fine once it starts. Just don't want to keep replacing expensive parts chasing this problem.

Read on yota tech that a faulty ignition could cause the low voltage to cold start injector. If I can figure out the wiring, might try to bypass ignition and give the injector 12 from battery for a few seconds and see if it starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom