Builds 2018 Premium 460 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The MORRFlate looks like something one could build for much cheaper, no?
Or is just the convenience?

I don't know about much cheaper, but the one I built is also not a direct comparison. It was a fun project though. I used an analog gauge, added some quick release chucks on the cross so I could easily disconnect a side if there was a leak, used unnecessarily expensive quick release chucks because I liked their action, and included a couple reusable 1/4" hose ends for easy field repair if needed. All in from Amazon it was around $170 - close to the MORRFlate base cost and more expensive than the base system from Mid-Atlantic Off-Roading ¡Cuatro! 4-Way Deflator/ Inflator & Compressors - https://midatlanticoffroading.com/collections/cuatro-4-way-deflator-inflator. I like mine better 'cause I built it. Had fun doing it, returning the first set of crappy tire valve chucks, and moding my SmittyBilt compressor. Now I just need my tray to mount it in the engine compartment.
PXL_20220405_154337503.jpg

Do you mind posting the quick release chucks you used?
Are you referring to air line quick release chucks or valve stem quick release chucks?

Do you mind posting the quick release chucks you used?
Are you referring to air line quick release chucks or valve stem quick release chucks?
Probably referring to both and I didn't bother to look up correct terminology. I bought these 1/4" air line couplers for $40 (less than the going price and I needed one for the compressor too): Amazon product ASIN B01CK42B32. Connecting the male and female, they just push in. No need to pull back on the locking ring first. One could definitely save money here.

For valve stem chucks, I bought these first since they were cheaper and had good reviews overall: Amazon product ASIN B07D13V72Q. However, 2 of the 4 wouldn't close. The mechanism inside that's supposed to stop the air flow was stuck open. 2 operated correctly - you could hear the mechanism rattle when I shook them and blowing through them would close the valve. The other two were just free flowing, so I sent that set back.

Ended up going with what I believe is what all of these systems use: https://smile.amazon.com/Haltec-H-5265-Standard-Lock-Chuck/dp/B01938M8MW. I got a set of 5 cause they shipped same day and now I have a spare. These worked great, but cost twice as much as the AstroAI ones.

Edit: edited BB Code to remove annoying Amazon Media links. Oh well, it converts them back to media when publishing.

Last edited:
Like Sheptastic stated not really cheaper to DIY.

I really like the digital gauge, my eyes are getting old and an analog gauge wouldn't cut it for me. Over the past year removing and installing valve cores with the ARB deflator has worn out my cores and next tire rotation I'll have them replaced as it takes a bit of torque to get them not to leak.

Probably referring to both and I didn't bother to look up correct terminology. I bought these 1/4" air line couplers for $40 (less than the going price and I needed one for the compressor too): Amazon product ASIN B01CK42B32. Connecting the male and female, they just push in. No need to pull back on the locking ring first. One could definitely save money here.

For valve stem chucks, I bought these first since they were cheaper and had good reviews overall: Amazon product ASIN B07D13V72Q. However, 2 of the 4 wouldn't close. The mechanism inside that's supposed to stop the air flow was stuck open. 2 operated correctly - you could hear the mechanism rattle when I shook them and blowing through them would close the valve. The other two were just free flowing, so I sent that set back.

Ended up going with what I believe is what all of these systems use: https://smile.amazon.com/Haltec-H-5265-Standard-Lock-Chuck/dp/B01938M8MW. I got a set of 5 cause they shipped same day and now I have a spare. These worked great, but cost twice as much as the AstroAI ones.

Edit: edited BB Code to remove annoying Amazon Media links. Oh well, it converts them back to media when publishing.
Really like the idea of the push-on air line couplers! But I already have a bunch of fe/male couplers since I have "house" air in my garage.
Also I too have those same cheap valve chucks, and have been looking around for a good replacement.
So you like those valve chucks?

Really like the idea of the push-on air line couplers! But I already have a bunch of fe/male couplers since I have "house" air in my garage.
Also I too have those same cheap valve chucks, and have been looking around for a good replacement.
So you like those valve chucks?
I've only used them in my driveway, but so far so good. Our Costcos have self-service nitrogen now, and I wanted to see if their units use the same Haltec chucks. I believe they're the same units that they've been using in their service bays, and I imagine they'd hold up well if so...as long as you don't yank them off without unlocking them. This is incompatible with my "house" air too. I might get around to making an adapter some day. Probably after I need it.

@Washingtontaco, does the MORRFlate system have Haltec valve stem chucks?
Also, I'm with you. Digital is much easier to read, I just didn't want to worry about another battery.

I've only used them in my driveway, but so far so good. Our Costcos have self-service nitrogen now, and I wanted to see if their units use the same Haltec chucks. I believe they're the same units that they've been using in their service bays, and I imagine they'd hold up well if so...as long as you don't yank them off without unlocking them. This is incompatible with my "house" air too. I might get around to making an adapter some day. Probably after I need it.

@Washingtontaco, does the MORRFlate system have Haltec valve stem chucks?
Also, I'm with you. Digital is much easier to read, I just didn't want to worry about another battery.
I am unsure of the brand of chucks but they are a push on type with three prong grip.

It been a busy spring! I broke in the gears and locker and jumped right into training!

Last weekend kicked off our two month non stop stretch of training. I managed to put 550 miles on the GX last weekend and 4:88 was absolutely the correct choice. I manage 14.5 mpg hauling a full weekends worth of training and camping equipment, 6850 + - 100 lbs. Drivability on the freeway was outstanding maintaining 75+ over the mountain passes then running and building trails for our event!

The pics are of our Goldendale Technical Driving and Recovery course. We had a wide swath of brand represented!

We started with a cone course and gradually built up from there.

b4t 1.jpg
b4t 2.jpg
b4t 3.jpg
b4t 4.jpg
b4t 6.jpg

That last photo is kind of funny! It looks like the the lady in the foreground is holding the yellow florescent inflation line and trying to inflate all the tires!
Love what you do! May have to make a trip some time up to your neck of the woods and enroll in one of your clinics. Sounds like it'd be a really fun weekend.

That last photo is kind of funny! It looks like the the lady in the foreground is holding the yellow florescent inflation line and trying to inflate all the tires!
Love what you do! May have to make a trip some time up to your neck of the woods and enroll in one of your clinics. Sounds like it'd be a really fun weekend.
This last class was a blast!

Hello Mr Taco. I looked at your website a few months back with the intention of attending one of your classes soonish. Could you give a brief rundown of the course/class? Maybe this should’ve been a DM but I just remembered when I saw the update on this thread. I need to search the thread for your website too. Ha.

Hello Mr Taco. I looked at your website a few months back with the intention of attending one of your classes soonish. Could you give a brief rundown of the course/class? Maybe this should’ve been a DM but I just remembered when I saw the update on this thread. I need to search the thread for your website too. Ha.
Website is in his signature.

Not seeing signatures on my phone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have it saved somewhere. My comment was mostly making fun of myself for posting when I could probably find most of my answers with a little effort.

Weird. I posted that from my phone and I could see them last night, but not this morning. Sigs show up if I turn my phone to landscape.

The class outline depends on the curriculum to be instructed for said class.

For instance our Whidbey Island Recovery class on May 14-15 is strictly recovery.

From basic equipment, uses, what to look for when buying, stuck assessment, recovery load calculations, Hi Lift Jack uses, traction boards, traction extraction, kinetic extraction, winch break down, winch anatomy, single line, double line pull, redirect, and Spanish Burton, and portable recovery anchors. We are Safe Xtract certified trainers and incorporate Safe Xtract methods in our instruction.

Two weeks ago was a driving focused course with recovery only instructed as needed when required.

We have a full schedule through June with some of the big PNW shows incorporated. Currently our next driving course is available in September 9-11th.

Thanks for your interest!

Cool. So it sounds like even if one doesn’t have all the gear for the recovery focused class you can still attend and learn by demonstration.

Also I’m guessing that the driving course is a lot of demonstration and maybe some “drive your own rig” but on low difficulty stuff to learn basics and that barely built vehicle would still be good to go.

I’ll keep an eye on the calendar. Thanks for the info, looks super informative and fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom