2018 LC200 5.7 Driver side A/C VENT doesn't work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Typical dealership BS. They claimed a module had been unplugged requiring the servos to be reinitiated (I bought the LC used from an Audi dealer). So they said since someone had been in there, it wasn’t covered under warranty $138. Asked them to check the brakes because I had a shutter on hard braking. They claimed the front rotors were warped, I can accept that
$180.
AC is blowing great for now, for some reason I expect the issue to return though. The brakes now cause a slight shake in the steering wheel, maybe it will even out a bit but if not I’ll take it back. Growing pains with a used 1 year old LC with <20k miles.

Asked them to check the brakes because I had a shutter on hard braking. They claimed the front rotors were warped, I can accept that
$180.

I wouldn’t. 100:1 odds your rotors aren’t warped and it’s simply brake deposits. New pads might help if your old ones are worn down.

Finally, the dealer got the replacement servo and the vehicle is at the dealership for the past few days. Per the tech, It is quite a laborious task which involves dash removal. Yikes.

I have the same issue with driver's side AC. Servo has been replaced and same issue within a couple of weeks. Look forward to learning of the solution.

2018 with 16K miles.
Oh wow. That sucks. I kind of think the servo replacement is just a band aid. The root cause is still lurking somewhere else. Servo motors are a very generic technology used in almost all the cars (and other mechanisms) nowadays. So, to have a fault in the servo motor just doesn't make sense to me. Hope someone in this community cracks the puzzle soon. AS of now, Toyota has no better solution other than tearing up the whole dash assembly chasing the servo. Quite frustrating. And irony is that, I get a corolla as a loaner and the servo works flawlessly :) jealous

Front rotors machined, twice, and the brake issue is gone. They reset the servos and it’s working for now, but as someone above stated, doubt it is in the actual motors, something else going on if you can “reset” it.

Anyone figure out what’s causing this issue? My dad has a 2017 200 and last year we had this problem. No air from the driver side AC vents. I re-initialized with Techstream and the problem went away. Today there was no air again from the driver side vents. I have a 2011 200 and never experienced this issue.

Anyone figure out what’s causing this issue? My dad has a 2017 200 and last year we had this problem. No air from the driver side AC vents. I re-initialized with Techstream and the problem went away. Today there was no air again from the driver side vents. I have a 2011 200 and never experienced this issue.

After it was reset, it’s been about 6 months, the issue has not returned. I think Toyota is aware of it and I think it’s a software issue, but I have not seen any real answers on it. I got a version of tech stream up and running on an old laptop, it pretty useful. You should look into it since you have a few Toyotas in the family.

After it was reset, it’s been about 6 months, the issue has not returned. I think Toyota is aware of it and I think it’s a software issue, but I have not seen any real answers on it. I got a version of tech stream up and running on an old laptop, it pretty useful. You should look into it since you have a few Toyotas in the family.

Yup I have Techstream installed on an old laptop, works great. When I re-initialized it last year, I thought the problem was because the battery was getting old because I remember seeing a couple of error codes on the other modules regarding low voltage or “control unit not found” (can’t remember exactly). The battery has since been replaced a couple of months ago and in fact it had been hooked up to a CTEK charger prior to starting this morning so now I don’t think it’s the battery at all.

Wow, how frustrating. I am experiencing this right now with the 2018 I just purchased a few weeks ago. Started with the top passenger side vents not blowing air. So I tried a few different settings in the "Climate" screen to see what I could change, and that made the driver's side top vents also stop working. The driver's side foot vents also don't seem to work. Has anyone discovered anything else about this?

I certainly does sound like a SW bug. The fans are definitely blowing. The servos are able to switch between windshield and passenger foot. So seems like a calibration thing. I don't understand why Toyota can't figure this out. It's clearly a common problem on these latest models...

Wow, how frustrating. I am experiencing this right now with the 2018 I just purchased a few weeks ago. Started with the top passenger side vents not blowing air. So I tried a few different settings in the "Climate" screen to see what I could change, and that made the driver's side top vents also stop working. The driver's side foot vents also don't seem to work. Has anyone discovered anything else about this?

I certainly does sound like a SW bug. The fans are definitely blowing. The servos are able to switch between windshield and passenger foot. So seems like a calibration thing. I don't understand why Toyota can't figure this out. It's clearly a common problem on these latest models...

If you were closer I’d say come on over and we could reset with my techstream. Mine has been fine since the dealer originally reset it, I think the dealer charged me around $100, claiming it looked like someone had been in there and tried to fix it. I really couldn’t argue against it since I bought it used from an Audi dealer, it worked when I bought it but the issue quickly popped within a week. Hopefully once you get it reset it will work for a while, if it doesn’t you shouldn’t have to keep paying the dealer to correct it. I’m sure they know about the issue, whether they admit it or not.

Conveniently, mine started working again all by themselves after a couple days. I did go ahead and buy VXDIAG VCX Nano w/ Techstream V15.00.026. Was able to connect up and peruse around all the diagnostics - pretty awesome tool. There were actually DTCs for both the servos, but also said they were no longer malfunctioning. I went ahead and did a servo initialization anyway.

techstream-ac-diag-codes.png

techstream-ac-servo-init.png

Last edited:

Okay so I re-initialized the servo today using Techstream. Let’s see how long it will last before I have to do it again.

04931ABB-9F1F-4E07-BC3C-A429E728AD49.jpeg
0115C388-2BCC-472B-9A9D-D8C2540B3EAC.jpeg

My '16 LC did the same thing last summer. It was ~3 years, 1 mos. from inservice, ~36K miles. Lasted one week. Driver's side vents would not blow, only floor or defrost. A/C in rest of car worked fine. Dealer serviced, normal maintenance only.

I changed all the settings manually (blower speed, vents, etc.) over a weeks time and considered pulling battery. Magically corrected after 1 week - I credit the Icelandic elves from Eurovision Song Contest and switching my Spotify from Stick Figure to Steel Pulse . . .

Ugh. 2019 LC 200 here. I'm experiencing this problem. I found this thread, bought a vxdiag thing and techstream. I've reset it but it is only working for a couple days before it reverts back to the problem. Anything more I can do other than the servomotor initialization?

Thanks for pointing out his post.

Does anyone with Techstream know how long the codes stay stored for after there has been an issue? I have has the no vent flow condition previously and the dealer reinitialzed the servo which it sounds like is just a temporary fix and maybe for not all the possible failure modes. The TSB says the condition has to currently exist or there has to be a stored code to get it performed under warranty. Im at 33k so only 3k of warranty left. So after they would have done the servo reinitialization previously would that have reset the codes? Or will they still be there in the history so I can get the new calibration to prevent this from reoccurring?

When I reinitialized the servos in mine, it did not reset the error codes that existed. There is a different function that clears the codes. I would assume the dealer would have cleared all the codes while they had the vehicle, though.

This past Thursday I brought my 2018 Land Cruiser into the dealer along with a copy of the TSB dated May 27, 2020. The existing symptom was that only one vent was blowing air. When the tech checked for ECU trouble codes, it showed B1486, which is a malfunction in the driver side air outlet damper control servo motor unit. He reflashed the air conditioning amplifier with the new calibration file update. This update applies to 2017-2019 Land Cruisers with an effective VIN of JTMCY7AJ#H4059943 or later and it fixed my problem.

I have the same issue with driver's side AC. Servo has been replaced and same issue within a couple of weeks. Look forward to learning of the solution.

2018 with 16K miles.
Same with mine. It has been 3 years since the dealer and I are fixing this problem. Worst is that we noticed that the driver seat’s heater turns on automatically.

We noticed that whenever we restart the car, there are times that the AC switches back on and no seat heater. Like magic.

Hoping that someone can have a solution for this

2018 17K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom