2015 LX570 Prinsu Rack Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had planned on documenting my weekend of rack install, but I already have a silly question.

After sorting all the hardware, I noticed that 3 of the roof bolts are shorter than the others.

All 16 spaces are the same size.
Did I accidentally get 3 short bolts, 2 of them being spares?

257549FA-5413-4547-A6D2-A3F904647DCB.jpeg

Light bar teaser...

C6CD41A2-E227-456E-973D-D5876AD84194.jpeg

Ok I'll be the one to ask: what is that pink thing in the background?

I have 4 kids under 5, 3 of which are girls. There’s always pink crap everywhere.

I’m at a standstill.

I have the factory crossbars removed and I’m ready to break all the factory rack bolts, but that’s a “point of no return” to complete the Prinsu install.

I’ve been reading all the horror stories of losing the nut inserts in the headliner, along with the Prinsu side rails not sitting flush on top of the spacers.

-after staring at the bolts that Prinsu sent, most of them now seem too long. Should the bolt threads start after the spacers? There’s currently about 1/4” with no threads.

-there seems to be a split between people using RTV and non-Hardening “form-a-gasket”. Are you guys using thread locker as well or just one of the above?

Seems like I need to figure out all of the above prior to moving forward.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the stuff on the bolts from the factory is not thread locker, it is a "Non-hardening sealant no.2." It is also what I was required to use when I worked at a Toyota for roof and reveal moldings. OEM Toyota is blue, aftermarket is usually black.

Silicon will eventually wash away, granted it will take a few years. RTV is not sealant, but rather a hardening filler to be used under compression, which is why it works for precision machines components. But RTV is not good when it doesn't have smooth, firmly pressed metal to not let any movement happen.

I only bring this up because of the amount of repair work that I've had and seen done because of wrong products used because they were close enough. I just don't want anyone to have to redo stuff, or have unnecessary water fall into their headliners.

After finding Taco’s posts, I’m going to go with form-a-gasket Under the spacers, I’m the holes, on the threads, above the spacers, and in the exhaust pipe.

Now I just have to get CBI to sort out the bolt situation and hope the sides fit correctly.

I had planned on documenting my weekend of rack install, but I already have a silly question.

After sorting all the hardware, I noticed that 3 of the roof bolts are shorter than the others.

All 16 spaces are the same size.
Did I accidentally get 3 short bolts, 2 of them being spares?

View attachment 2116750
I just installed mine last week. All my bolts were the same length. I used clear silicone to seal my holes. I used it (along with many others) on my 80 rack removal and had zero water issues through a central america rainy season.

I was researching lightbars yesterday. Is that the Rigid Adapt? i'm leaning towards the baja designs.

Yes, adapt!

Reactions: dmc
Originally the racks came with two different height spacers, 7/8" and 1", presumably to fine tune to your individual roof or rack. Ultimately I "fine tuned" my installation with a few strategically added stainless washers to avoid putting any uneven pressure on the side rails. So with only one height spacer, I'd recommend having some same I.D. and O.D. washers on hand just in case. I'm sure you could just crank everything down, but I chose to use the washers. In the end, all of my spacers ranged from 7/8" - 1 1/8".

I used all my own hardware, so the hardware provided didn't come into play for me. I think mine came with all zinc hardware, and I chose to "upgrade" with stainless...

I pretty much filled all the spacers with silicone before I ran the bolts through them. I've sealed holes in roofs of thousands of vehicles with silicone over the last 15+ years without issue, so I had no reservations about doing the same on my own vehicle. But I know everyone has their own ideas :)

Reactions: dmc
Still need to move down the wind deflector, install the noise trim, and wire up the light bar. The adapt is freaking HEAVY and is causing a lot of vibration.

A9E1F1C9-3301-4F44-96B2-BEDC37553C8E.jpeg

99397914-C4F6-417C-9A5B-6D3832C67320.jpeg

That's a great looking rack. I'd be interested to know your opinion on the wind noise once you get everything complete.

Adding more pics for a fellow mudder:
844D2F36-F741-4F40-BA88-B018A2C9F2CC.jpeg

C1582C79-0C4B-4AF8-A5DB-AADF1A7E4E1E.jpeg

41F45FC5-F665-4BC2-9A4D-DD4771093BFA.jpeg

247F364A-231E-4356-B125-D10496681AD2.jpeg

0BDDD366-5C09-4250-9953-F72D7B51D63F.jpeg

The load panels significantly strengthen the crossbars. I weigh 180# and wouldn't be able to stand up top without a lot of flexing.

I like your truck dude. Side bar: Does the dark interior get a different wood trim appearance? I guess I could go check the brochures. Has anyone ever stripped the wood and replaced it with an open-grain. I don't dislike the glossy stuff, but I think an open grain walnut would look/smell amazing.

I like your truck dude. Side bar: Does the dark interior get a different wood trim appearance? I guess I could go check the brochures. Has anyone ever stripped the wood and replaced it with an open-grain. I don't dislike the glossy stuff, but I think an open grain walnut would look/smell amazing.

thanks! You can see my door trim in the picture above (with my feet in it)

@radman Did you have to remove the headliner to install Prinsu? Any final install tips? About to embark on the install tonight.

Every where I searched, the parts seem to be the same for 2008+ LX570. I guess it should fit the 2017 model also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom