2011 LC - replacing the back up camera with a unit displays "lines" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone successfully replaced the back up camera on a 2001 LC? This camera is useless for navigating into a parking slot without the indicator lines. I'm wondering if you can splice into the existing wires to power a replacement camera with the indicator lines? Any thoughts??

Thanks
Shad O Matic

I haven't seen it in my 2011 LC either, and I poked around TIS Techstream for other tweaks and didn't recall seeing anything for backup camera options... Various options summarized here - TIS Techstream - Customization Options for LC200

Unless there's an easy plug & play with a 2013+ OEM camera (or headunit?), might be out of luck unless your 3rd party solution pans out. Wish I had an easy fix, I'd take it as well!

I doubt a '13 retro fit would work as the lines are software based (can be turn on/off and has turning guidelines based on steering input) not camera based like some aftermarket backup cameras

Does the 2008-2011 have the steering display (front wheel direction) in the MID like the 2013+? If not then it definitely can't. If it does then maybe... but probably not. My steering sensor temporarily lost calibration and when it did the yellow and red lines in the rear camera display vanished until it recalibrated (though the blue lines still showed).

My '10 does not have a steering position display

I haven't seen it in my 2011 LC either, and I poked around TIS Techstream for other tweaks and didn't recall seeing anything for backup camera options... Various options summarized here - TIS Techstream - Customization Options for LC200

Unless there's an easy plug & play with a 2013+ OEM camera (or headunit?), might be out of luck unless your 3rd party solution pans out. Wish I had an easy fix, I'd take it as well!
Thanks for the info!

no steering
Does the 2008-2011 have the steering display (front wheel direction) in the MID like the 2013+? If not then it definitely can't. If it does then maybe... but probably not. My steering sensor temporarily lost calibration and when it did the yellow and red lines in the rear camera display vanished until it recalibrated (though the blue lines still showed).
No display, feel I have hit a dead end.
Thanks!!

no steering
Thanks!!

no steering

Thanks!!

Yeah if the steering sensor isn't in the 08-11 model, then the only thing you could hope for is the blue lines. Those just point straight back, so IMO they're not incredibly useful or worth the effort.

I'm not so interested in the lines as much as I am in a better quality camera in the back and front.

I was hoping that throwing in something aftermarket would be reasonably easy.

Oddly enough, I'm looking for how to turn the horizontal red line off in the backup view of my '17. It is wide, and obscures the hitch ball, so it makes the back up camera very difficult to use for hitch assist. I can get left-right accurate, but I need help with front-rear position for the coupler since the line is in the way. I haven't needed my wife's help with that for years, since the 100 back up camera gave me a clear view of the hitch. So, be careful what you wish for!

I was hoping that throwing in something aftermarket would be reasonably easy.

Anybody know the voltage on the cameras-display? On my old Tacoma the backup camera produced a non-standard 6 volts to the display.

I have been researching how to upgrade the visual quality of the rear camera on our 2013, and have confirmed with an engineer friend that's working on autonomous cars (by showing him the wiring diagram) that yes, these cameras are 6 volts for some reason. The rest of the connectivity is pretty basic though - there's a ground and the +6 volts, and then a composite video + and -. 4 connections total.

I did find someone is making an adapter harness that I believe sits between the head unit of other Toyota and Subaru (BRZ?) vehicles that both supplies 12v down the wire going to the camera, and then also facilitates connecting aftermarket cameras for use with the OEM head unit (assuming these are primarily used for cars with only a single, rear-facing camera, and those where a camera was an option.)

Does anyone have diagrams of the wiring/harnessses/connectors going to the rear of our head units?

The other option might be simply grabbing +12v from somewhere else on the rear of the car... But truth be told I'd like to modify exactly 0 actual harnesses inside the hatch if possible.

One more comment re: the 'lines' (which btw I find mostly useless): I'm pretty certain the lines themselves are overlaid onto the video display by the parking assist ECU; the camera itself doesn't have anything to do with the lines.

Here's a link to the wiring diagram showing all the connectivity on a 2013:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=998719

... so if you really want that, I wonder if you can replace your 2011's parking-ECU brain (assuming it has one - I haven't yet checked that site above to see what the differences are) with a newer unit. Stranger things have happened. Years ago I tinkered with replacing the TCU on my E55 to try and allow for a complete disabling of traction control, and the car didn't explode. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom