Builds 2008 LX Live Camera Car and Overlanding Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could do PayPal secured deposit and then pay cash at time is sale and have him refund the deposit. I do this all the time and it save buyer/purchaser the PayPal fees.

I live the RW wheels and they will look great on your truck. They are a good investment too, you can always sell them down the road if needed!

Recently put a set on my 08...

View attachment 2361240
If you decide to go this route, make sure to abandon the locking lugs or you will be spending money on 19mm sockets you get them off!

On a related note, she looks really good! Tire brand and specs please. 33s? And I assume high mode, never mind that is an LC. And I’ve been there with my locking nuts already, broke the key and used a 19; Will gladly replace them!

Last edited:
285/70-17 stock size for the RW wheels.

Yeah, I found your thread. Was reading it thinking it was going to be a nice long thread and well, we all know the rest of that story lol.

I really enjoyed the 3 posts and following you for future updates. Glad to have ya!

The best is yet to come! 🍻

Yeah, I found your thread. Was reading it thinking it was going to be a nice long thread and well, we all know the rest of that story lol.

I really enjoyed the 3 posts and following you for future updates. Glad to have ya!

Sorry service is a little touch and go up here in Idaho. I’ll be back in Utah tomorrow and we can talk more.

Sorry service is a little touch and go up here in Idaho. I’ll be back in Utah tomorrow and we can talk more.

No rush buddy, thanks for the update.

Meanwhile, I’m going to go live in 15 mins to unbox the Remote Control Truck that will be the platform for the Remote Control Camera Car. Yes, the live feed RC truck is coming!

I am traveling solo in most cases, so this baby will be my spotter while I stay in the car and trying to cross obstacles. This will also be one of my best tools to check out and show off everyone’s rig, on and off the trail, while I’m at LCDC. It’s going to capture some amazing shots from under as the LCs cross over obstacles.

I decided to go with the Hollyland series for my wireless setup, here is a glimpse. A shorter, coiled hdmi cable, and a smaller battery, a different hand grip/tripod, and we have ourselves a nice and compact wireless setup that can easily be handled with 1 hand (the Hollyland will mount on top of the camera if you get the right hand grip).

C19B10B0-422C-4FF9-8A33-A0BD313C7773.jpeg

01767A98-234E-4A96-AAB5-443B8B72311C.jpeg

1BA86EDC-586C-4AE5-A98A-23E854D10DA7.jpeg

image.jpg

The RC Camera truck is... AWESOME!!! Worked exactly as I expected. It’s like FPV but with my laptop instead of goggles, and with any camera I want! And also with the option of sending the live feed to any platform at the same time.

I just need to get a hardbody now and we are good to go. And a shorter hdmi cable. The plastic body is too weak and it leans.

Yes, those are beadlock wheels. I’m fancy like that.

image.jpg

57E6AA36-EE3A-46CE-974B-2B06D0DFD469.jpeg

C31CC4C4-B774-46FE-9E50-956DEC0BA8B9.jpeg

EF20BE16-C299-4DDF-ADAA-442C18286AED.jpeg

CE032C6E-B875-4334-8204-11831610B4F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Should be an interesting POV. Opposite of a drone.

Going to work on ways to trim it a little because it sits so high that it’s a tight squeeze To get under the car, given that I am on stock tires.

Probably go with a GoPro as well when I get one with hdmi (need the black), so it sits lower as well as better image stabilization. This thing is very capable crawler though. I can climb stairs with it.

And I’m glad you bring it up, because LCDC coverage would not be complete without a LIVE Drone Feed as well. The live part is the tricky part.

Wonder if the adapter to hook it up to the 12V is hidden somewhere? I didn’t get one with my last one either. Hmmm.

“I’ve never had these things fall on me. Well...”

Remember to be safe with your awning folks, and angle it down in the rain and make sure water is running off and not build up in middle. Luckily no one got hurt in my case. In case you missed it, Tiger was in the car and I was trying to lower 1 pole from one of the corners, and it collapsed. There was so much water that it was only about 2 ft from sagging all the way to the ground. Here is a picture of the night before, and how it was angled to lead to that.

Luckily the ARB awning is very sturdy and held until I unlocked one of the poles. The difference in price wasn’t much from Chinese awnings (with the discount from 4WP), and this is one of those cases where I am glad I went for a quality product.

FB906730-DD46-4FFB-8732-CCFA7E702F93.jpeg

Last edited:
“I’ll have to sell my Land Cruiser and get one of these babies”.

Forgive me mud, I know not what I say.

Also got my first follower today! Thanks @grinchy i really appreciate that brother.

Last edited:
So I got a like new Samsung 360 gear for 40 bucks! I’ve been spending a lot of time on Craigslist and it’s been paying off. Some gentleman got it for free when he upgraded his Samsung galaxy and just had no use for it.

I can think of a ton of uses. One mans trash really is another mans treasure here.

I noticed that when I tested the RC Cam truck, that I had little control over the cam angle. It will be good for a lot of shots, but for undercarriage, it’s going to need some help delivering a nice and comprehensive look.

In comes the 360 cam! Now, if I have the cam under your car, and you have the 360 stream open (I will provide link in stream description), you can now interact with the 360 feed in any way you want. The RC truck will officially have a dual-cam setup, one for me to use to steer, and a 360 to give everyone a nice and more comprehensive look/see a ton more detail.

The resolution issue will be fixed once I start using YouTube instead of FB, but I think I need 1000 subs to be eligible to broadcast 360 feeds to YouTube. I don’t even have a YouTube account yet. It could also be that the bandwidth on my phone is too weak to broadcast a 1080p, or even true 720p. My guess is Facebook downscaling though.

Also, this is an amazing way for me to keep tabs on Tiger while he’s alone in the car, which sometimes happen for brief moments like grocery trips. I can monitor the interior and surroundings with 1 cam... which is really great.

Last edited:
You’re gonna need a trailer to store all this electronic gear. When is thE fridge due?

Fridge will be here tomorrow! I plan on being live for a good few hours to give everyone On the group buy post a really close look, as well as do initial power consumption testing!

Yeah I do have a lot of electronics, and there are more coming. If the cheap bonding service from speedify (10 per month vs hundreds per month from other companies), can handle cellular data from phone tethering/hotspots, then expect to add 3 phones/hotspot devices to the mix. Then you add the drones, microphones, tiny Second monitor (so I can monitor chat and the stream in real time), sound insulation, and lighting gear just to name a few. This is by far the biggest mod I am doing for the car. It’s a lot of stuff that goes into one of those “news vans”, and this is keeping it compact when relatively speaking.

I think I will need to add a small generator to the mix as well as a built in inverter for for the car. I need more plugs! The main thing I want is for the extension cord and the power strip to each have their own built in outlet, so that I don’t have to unplug the power strip, plug in the extension cord, plug the cord to shore power, then plug in the strip to the cord. I just want to be able to grab the extension cord and plug it in, and have that power transfer to the power strip. Will plugging them both into an inverter accomplish this?

I wonder if I should do one of those shore power outlets where I can access it from the outside, and I wonder how much that would cost to do a mod like that.

Last edited:
Adding a DSLR into the mix. This is what I meant when I said the Hollyland is designed for this. It had multiple ways to mount to Universal camera mounts. A little on the heavy side right now but tomorrow the Transmitter battery is being replaced with one 1/3 of that size. Also will get a bigger hand grip with a gimbal built in. That hand grip is made for a small action cam. When I am close to the car I will be going for the DSLR, and when I need a quick and mobile setup I will be going for the action cam. Some occasions I will have both on me.

This allows me to add different lenses to the mix. I’m going to start searching for an ultra wide angle lens, as well as one with a 16:9 ratio because we are broadcasting in 1920:1080p.

B40324CB-771C-4974-A45D-ADEC2C9A261D.jpeg

25A57947-EB65-4612-81CC-C3931427F7D9.jpeg

32B47667-A23F-45EA-B35D-EEFA2A23B793.jpeg

Oh hello there, I just Found my LED light strip power cable! Had to look it up, turns out it was in the bag that I assumed was guy ropes and little stakes. Perfect timing as I was looking for a good place to work on modding the RC truck. I am trying a few things to help prevent it from flipping, leaning, and sitting too high for undercarriage shots.

Mods for today:

- battery relocation towards front and lower
- Adjust shocks to lower center of gravity
- Mount a 1/4” 20 UNC bolt for the camera and transmitter, if that fails try Velcro and adhesive.

40617B38-77D8-46C4-86E3-46CE6340C532.jpeg

Going to continue modifying the RC truck today and then give it a test run once the things are mounted in new locations.

Also going to try and pick up this gimbal from Craigslist, dude wants 100 which is really fair. I got the DSLR working, But only lens I have is a macro lens; so it was very shaky and the angle was too narrow. A gimbal and a 16:9 aspect ratio lens should do the trick, or even wider for a nice cinematic view. Time to start looking for a wide angle lens. I’m gonna go check out the gimbal today and hope it isn’t too small.

8DDDDB1F-EB5E-47E9-890E-ED2761C7F351.png

Last edited:
There are a lot of these out there, but this one is mine. Had to stop and admire it for a second before I put the armor plate back on. @bjowett thanks bud!

Oil change done at 200,150. Next one at 205,000.

A80E1DD7-946E-45CE-B1B2-AB9AF7AC921C.jpeg

476BA58E-C90A-4F62-90B1-A15DC0A8B97C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom