Builds 2008 LX Live Camera Car and Overlanding Build. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Woke up with another idea, going to leave it here and put it through due process. After 3 days of soul searching, we will decide if it’s worth it to pursue further.

Why not make the entire drawer system adjustable in height? I realize my needs for storage are always changing, so it would make sense to have a drawer system that can adapt.

The idea stemmed from the fact that I wanted a table with adjustable height, so that I can have a desk during the day, and complete my bed platform at night.

Since I may not need a desk now, I was thinking I could make the bed platform adjustable in height instead. This way, I could have more soft storage during the day and a bed platform at night. By soft storage I mean that I could raise the bed platform during the day to put blankets and pillows and things underneath, As well as things like duffle bags. The raised height position does not have to support the weight of me and Tiger sleeping on it. I plan on having an area behind drivers side, next to the fridge for him to lay down at during the day.

I will gladly accept any ideas on how to accomplish something like this, and will be spending some of my free time over the next few days looking into it myself. Thanks In advance!

Last edited:
Second Idea, same due process as post above.

Been thinking about where/how I want to set up my work station, as well as what I am going to do for additional monitors.
- 1 for monitoring chat and the live feeds across fb, YouTube and twitch
- 1 for monitoring the stream/OBS
- 1 for to me use as a work area/what the viewer sees when I share my screen/windows

So the plan is to see if I can somehow take the built in headrest DVD player screens, and figure out a way to use it as a computer monitor. Hopefully there will be an adapter of some sort, if not then maybe I can add an additional input? If there is no way to make that work, then consider taking it out and replacing with small monitors that will fit. These 2 can be used together to monitor chat and live feeds. Ideally I want to make the current screens work so that I only have to pick up a total of 1 additional monitor, as well as take advantage of the fact that it is a beautiful solution; perfectly mounted, good size for the purpose, and already built in.

To make this work I am considering mounting the RAM Laptop mount behind the drivers seat, using the holes already drilled in for mounting seat slider frames (bed will be behind passenger). This way most of the electronics are near the plugs as well, and this is the only location that works to allow me to view the in-headrest monitors, allow access to docked laptop from both front and back, while still reserving space for bed platform on passenger side.

Other benefit is that this area is lower than hatch area, so I will have more headroom working here. The ram mount will essentially double as my “adjustable height” desk for my laptop.

Then I can pick up a touch screen monitor that I can move between work station in back, to a mount in front. The laptop will continue to be used as the working monitor/what viewers see, and the External touchscreen will be used to monitor/control the broadcasting software. I can operate everything via the external touchscreen as well, so the laptop can stay docked in back while I operate everything via the touchscreen from front. The external touchscreen monitor will be the only thing mounted in front of I go this route.

Last edited:
I have to say that the physical space limitations are becoming a problem. A command and control trailer (or living trailer and do c&c in truck) or maybe sprinter type platform might be better suited?

I have to say that the physical space limitations are becoming a problem. A command and control trailer (or living trailer and do c&c in truck) or maybe sprinter type platform might be better suited?

I actually have thought long and hard about that, and it has to do with my longer terms plans of wanting to see the world. Life is short, and there are a lot of places I want to see while I still can. With that said, the LX will be crossing several oceans throughout my journey, and for that reason I want to Be able to fit into half of a container for shipping purposes. It’s about long term travel costs. Also, CAPABILITY AND RELIABILITY. Less space but to be able to make it there and back, to be able to get serviced in any country, city or town, and etc.

I was thinking this move would save me a lot of space, since I use built in headrest to get 2 monitors in, and I save from having to build a desk by moving the ram mount to drivers side. I could explain it better, and I don’t have all the pieces and see everything yet, but i am confident I can make this work. I am also glad to be able to bring you guys along for the build with the stream setup, because that’s what will ultimately make this work is if the mud “Hivemind” gets involved. I only see the bigger picture, but you guys see all the little details like what mounting hardware, what size thickness wood and etc.

I have no doubt that we can make this work, and the only way it won’t work is if we don’t try.

@grinchy HELLO GRINCHY, DID YOU FORGET THIS A LAND CRUISER FORUM? :rofl: We don’t give up our World-Class capability and reliability that easily! First and foremost for me, when picking a platform, is making sure you don’t build a house then have to leave it stranded/wait a month for parts in South America because Fort Transit parts aren’t as prevalent. I also like to sleep on the trails when I can, and a trailer or van just screams “parking lot camping”, or screams “twice the price of the LX to make it not even as capable”.

I’m a simple man, we get what I need to work and take care of Tiger in there, and I will figure out a way to live in it. I really don’t even need drawers but it would be nice to always have a flat bed and more organized storage.

Last edited:
While I understand what you are saying, it is worth considering that there are many highly capable off-road trailers that are not “parking lot camping” only. Even if your primary living is in the truck, a compact off-road trailer to carry your gear and toys could greatly improve your quality of life.

As far as traveling, the costs associated with shipping and using a vehicle are not insubstantial. In many cases, it is more economical to either buy and resell, or simply rent a cruiser or patrol during your stay.

Like this!

commandpost.png

While I understand what you are saying, it is worth considering that there are many highly capable off-road trailers that are not “parking lot camping” only. Even if your primary living is in the truck, a compact off-road trailer to carry your gear and toys could greatly improve your quality of life.

As far as traveling, the costs associated with shipping and using a vehicle are not insubstantial. In many cases, it is more economical to either buy and resell, or simply rent a cruiser or patrol during your stay.

You bring up a lot of good points.

My main reasons for not going with a trailer are:

- Departure angle, even with just the motorcycle carrier, I have a hard time leaving a ditch without catching it. I’ve watched a lot of 4WD Action videos and they are always having to winch the guy with the trailer out of situations he can easily get through without the trailer. Recovering a trailer on the trail is not easy, and even capable off road trailers will have the problem of ruining your departure angles. When I am traveling solo, this becomes a big liability.

- the cost of building a trailer that won’t reduce the overall capability of the LX by too much will be costly. If money wasn’t a factor I’d use a small trailer for North America and sell it before crossing the Darian Gap.

- shipping it multiple times, the cost difference between half a container and full container is pretty significant, when multiplied several times. I could live for months while on the road, off the savings of just 1 time of shipping it.

My reasoning for not renting a vehicle at each country:

- having one vehicle saves me from moving everything I need to each location then moving it to each new rental Vehicle, it’s a lot of stuff and I can’t get too comfortable in it because I have to move out frequently. This Would greatly limit what I can carry and make it not possible to have my live stream setup with me, so that I can virtually bring others along.
- I really want to explore the countryside and renting/finding a capable rental for that long across that many different countries, and dealing with swapping every time I swap countries will be not be easy and very costly. The rentals will limit where I can go as opposed to my LX, as there won’t always be nice paved roads, or if it doesn’t limit it it will be costly. Many countries, especially more third world will have very limited rental options and opportunities. I call them Moped Countries.
- I just don’t want the stress of having to figure out a vehicle situation every time I cross into a new area, as doing that about 50 times will get old fast.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but have you considered a roof top tent? You could then move your sleeping arrangements up top, and focus your interior primarily on office/ storage/ daily living, and not have to shuffle everything around at bedtime.

Just a thought, but have you considered a roof top tent? You could then move your sleeping arrangements up top, and focus your interior primarily on office/ storage/ daily living, and not have to shuffle everything around at bedtime.
Yes I have, I went as far as figuring out that I could use the Petramp to get Tiger onto the Hood of the Car, and from there use a series of adhesive rubber patches that will give him the grip he needs to climb up the hood and windshield to get on the roof. I shy’Ed away from this idea due to the cost. Need rims and tires before RTT!

Wish I could find the link from where I saw this done, but I really like it over the idea of a giant ladder/ramp. Tiger is 9 and his legs are not as strong as they used to be.

Yes I have, I went as far as figuring out that I could use the Petramp to get Tiger onto the Hood of the Car, and from there use a series of adhesive rubber patches that will give him the grip he needs to climb up the hood and windshield to get on the roof. I shy’Ed away from this idea due to the cost. Need rims and tires before RTT!

Wish I could find the link from where I saw this done, but I really like it over the idea of a giant ladder/ramp. Tiger is 9 and his legs are not as strong as they used to be.
Your (large) dog Tiger does present a challenge ...although I have seen videos of people carrying their dog on their shoulder and climbing up the ladder;) As I said, just a thought👍

Your (large) dog Tiger does present a challenge ...although I have seen videos of people carrying their dog on their shoulder and climbing up the ladder;) As I said, just a thought👍
I think that’s very viable for most people.

Unfortunately for me, he actually weighs more than me and I have a bad right shoulder and bad left elbow that dislocates easily, something I hope people don’t ever have to see while I’m live, so I think for both of our safety that I should go with creating a safe way for him to climb on his own, while I just give him a push to help.

The getting him on the roof is the easy part, as I already have a Petramp to get him onto the hood, so I just need to add rubber patches to help him get grip while climbing up windshield and hood. The affording the roof rack and the RTT is the hard part.

@Tommy Dwyer thanks for the suggestions by the way, really appreciate you joining the discussion and glad to have ya. The “Hivemind” is slowly being awakened!

I think that’s very viable for most people.

Unfortunately for me, he actually weighs more than me and I have a bad right shoulder and bad left elbow that dislocates easily, something I hope people don’t ever have to see while I’m live, so I think for both of our safety that I should go with creating a safe way for him to climb on his own, while I just give him a push to help.

The getting him on the roof is the easy part, as I already have a Petramp to get him onto the hood, so I just need to add rubber patches to help him get grip while climbing up windshield and hood. The affording the roof rack and the RTT is the hard part.
Oh I get it, hence the wink. Tiger looks to be a great companion, and also looks like he probably eats more than I do! Safety first. Understand on the cost as well, rack and tent would not be a small investment. As I said, just throwing and idea out there. Really have enjoyed your process in figuring out how to make your rig work for YOU.

Oh I get it, hence the wink. Tiger looks to be a great companion, and also looks like he probably eats more than I do! Safety first. Understand on the cost as well, rack and tent would not be a small investment. As I said, just throwing and idea out there. Really have enjoyed your process in figuring out how to make your rig work for YOU.

I really appreciate that brother. Another person on board is a better chance at figuring this puzzle out!

And @grinchy and @1world1love, I think a good way to sum up my thoughts for not going with a different platform or rentals, is to say that when it comes to capability and reliability across the entire world, nothing comes close to a Land Cruiser. A part of reliability is to be able to find parts and shops that know how to service them, everywhere you go.

Also, a part of reliability is also to have a car that I know how to, or can figure out how to service myself. If I’m changing manufacturers at every border, I have way less of a chance to keep it running on my own. Also, think LONG LONG term, that after owning this car for 10 years, that I will know a lot about keeping it running and doing maintenance myself... what that translates into, is the fact that the next 200 series that I get to replace this one, it will be even more reliable than this one because I will know how to fix every little thing by then.

It will be hard to find a Ford Transit in 10 years that can still run for decades, or even one that will last 10 years with me, so I will end up having to learn to wrench on a different car. With a LC, I have a much better chance of getting another one that can run for decades more, and thus that knowledge that I collect over the next decade won’t go to waste; and will likely serve me for the rest of my life.

Basically, the most reliable vehicle in the world in the hands of someone who knows how to fix them, to me that is next-level reliability. THEN, You add to that the fact that a Land Cruiser in the hands of someone who understands its capabilities, it’s limits, and ultimately who knows how to drive it... well they will be more capable with it than someone who doesn’t. To me, that is next-level capability.

A lot of you guys here are on that level, and I am grateful to be learning from some of the best. Thanks largely to what I’ve learned and will continue to learn here, the next one will run forever and be able to take me anywhere, for as long as I can help it. When choosing a car for essentially the rest of my life, I have too many reasons to believe this is the one. There’s a lifetime of comfort and capability here for me, even excessive by many standards, and I will never ask for more than this.

In the US it’s hard to see this, as we can drive any car and get it serviced just about anywhere here. We are spoiled, however, most of the rest of the world are not. In most of the rest of the world, you either drive what they produce locally and thus know how to fix, or you drive a Toyota.

That and, the thought of having nothing to show for it at the end of the day with rentals, as opposed to having a Land Cruiser to call mine. I’ve tried renting with apartments and I’m not a big fan of the idea, when looking at long term.

Another thing I just realized is, it’s going to be nice to always have something that will Feel like home, even when I’m thousands of miles away. I’d like for some things to stay consistent from one place to the next.

Last edited:
A 500lb electric winch and a boom system off the trailer hitch will get him right up there with no strain on either of you.

I actually laughed this one off initially but it’s... going to keep me up at night. This is America, so every idea deserves a fair due process. We will put it through our 3 days of soul searching.

I wonder if it could go on the side, since real estate on back will be hard to come by. There is a bike back there, and maybe a spare in the future unless I go with something that fits under. Long term I think relocate and go long range fuel tank.

Last edited:
<3!!

Going to find a place with better Wi-fi and unbox it there! Maybe an hour or two before I’m live, gotta do lunch and a couple things real quick!

For those just tuning in, they sent me this sample unit to review for the group buy that I am organizing. There is 2-3 days left if you want to get the mud discount on IceCo fridges, just use coupon code “Ih8mud” at icecofreezer.com. For ones out of stock like the VL65 and bags (til august), they will make an exception and honor the code then. Details Here:

forum.ih8mud.com/threads/iceco-fridge-group-buy.1216342/

Last edited:
So I have 315 bucks on amazon that I am trying to figure out how to make the most of, and was eyeing this

Mech Marvels Super Quiet 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator, Carb Compliant, Clean Sine Wave MM2000I Amazon product ASIN B07TCL2DKJ
the main use for it is so I can have AC via a cheap window air conditioner for when I’m not plugged in, as well as the stream setup.

Thoughts?

Just a thought as well, @Knowbuddy do you need anything from amazon? I’d love to use it as partial payment for the rock warriors instead if possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom