Builds 2007 GX470 Build Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I reached the point where I just needed to know if I was missing something. I scheduled an appointment for service at Lexus. I stated that I needed a diagnostic scan to look into the noise and the P0018 code.

Some hours later the shop foreman appeared with the service advisor for s counseling session. He explained that he was drawing a blank as to what was causing both the noise and codes. We went through his steps and mine and came to the conclusion with about 90% certainty that I may have tweaked a valve. Engine diag shows no loss of pressure so the valve is sealing, but it is also making that goa awful noise. He said in another 4 hours @ $260 ph he could tear it down and find the noise, or I could just live with it.

I chose to live with it.

IMG_3095.jpeg

IMG_3094.jpeg

I watched the video below and thought of your thread. Apparently the cam gear will make a racket if it's not properly secured upon removal.

Not sure if this is your problem or not (I've never had the valve covers off my 2UZ and hope to keep it that way), but figured it was worth the post.

For those of you who asked, a Kenda 37 and mounted Nitto 35 will both fit stacked inside of a 2021 Escape.

IMG_3111.jpeg

IMG_3112.jpeg

IMG_3114.jpeg

Looks like you need some adjustable upper and lower links to push that axle back an inch

Looks like you need some adjustable upper and lower links to push that axle back an inch
Yeah agreed, Probably just needs to make the adjustment... looks like has adjustable lowers..
1699286264783.png
1699286243927.png

Can't fault for eager posting with the new meats!!

Overall looks nice and tight!!

The lowers are adjustable, uppers are on order, and 1” should be perfect.
Here is a question, because math, is the adjustment going to be linear 1" at the bottom = an 1" at the top? This is more advanced geometry than I understand at the moment.

Here is a question, because math, is the adjustment going to be linear 1" at the bottom = an 1" at the top? This is more advanced geometry than I understand at the moment.
Pinion angle are more important that figuring the perfect geometry. Use a digital angle finder at ride height and match it after you extend it.

You and your damn simple solution.

Awesome thank you!

Last edited:
I watched the video below and thought of your thread. Apparently the cam gear will make a racket if it's not properly secured upon removal.

Not sure if this is your problem or not (I've never had the valve covers off my 2UZ and hope to keep it that way), but figured it was worth the post.

I don't think thats my issue but this was helpful, I am planning on pulling the DS head after some more inspection.

How are you liking those Kenda MT2s? Can't seem to find any decent reviews online for them.

How are you liking those Kenda MT2s? Can't seem to find any decent reviews online for them.
We like them, my brother has them on his 40 series as well. Offroad they are very good, and the onroad manners of an aggressive MT are surprisingly good. I tested them in soft sand, some mud, brutal potholed roads, and some shenanigans this weekend and they shined. Now I can hear them in the cabin because well #mudterrain, I did have some challenges getting them balanced and the tire shops blamed it on the Kenda brand, they are 37's and those aren't always easy. There is 1 with a womp but after it warms up no issues (this only applies to Bias ply), for the $$ I am happy with them. Currently on sale for $386 @ BBWHEEL Kenda Klever Mt2 Kr629 Tire 37x12.50R17 R - 8 Ply / "D" Series - MINIMUM PURCHASE OF 4 TIRES - IN CART DISCOUNT! - https://www.bbwheelsonline.com/kenda-klever-mt2-kr629-tire-37x12-50r17-r-8-ply-d-series/

I still have to do some trimming or perhaps a fire wall mod.

IMG_4651.jpeg

IMG_4653.jpeg

IMG_4655.jpeg

IMG_4656.jpeg

We like them, my brother has them on his 40 series as well. Offroad they are very good, and the onroad manners of an aggressive MT are surprisingly good. I tested them in soft sand, some mud, brutal potholed roads, and some shenanigans this weekend and they shined. Now I can hear them in the cabin because well #mudterrain, I did have some challenges getting them balanced and the tire shops blamed it on the Kenda brand, they are 37's and those aren't always easy. There is 1 with a womp but after it warms up no issues (this only applies to Bias ply), for the $$ I am happy with them. Currently on sale for $386 @ BBWHEEL Kenda Klever Mt2 Kr629 Tire 37x12.50R17 R - 8 Ply / "D" Series - MINIMUM PURCHASE OF 4 TIRES - IN CART DISCOUNT! - https://www.bbwheelsonline.com/kenda-klever-mt2-kr629-tire-37x12-50r17-r-8-ply-d-series/

I still have to do some trimming or perhaps a fire wall mod.

View attachment 3562310

View attachment 3562312

View attachment 3562313

View attachment 3562314
I have been eyeing these in the 35x10.5 variety. I'm finally replacing my old 1998 Explorer, so that means the GX can be relieved of daily duty lol. Glad to hear you're liking them so far. The Toyos I have now are a terrific all-terrains, but I'm leaning towards max offroad performance now.

I have been eyeing these in the 35x10.5 variety. I'm finally replacing my old 1998 Explorer, so that means the GX can be relieved of daily duty lol. Glad to hear you're liking them so far. The Toyos I have now are a terrific all-terrains, but I'm leaning towards max offroad performance now.
Toyo's are hard to beat, I've had their AT II 's in a 285/75, the RT in a 35x12.5 and the MT in a 37x12.50. Love the AT & MT the best. I also have had good experience with Yokohama G003's in a 35, I really miss those. If your all chasing ALL THE TRACTION look at the Interco SSR and never look back, road manners are ok, noise ir LOUD, traction is epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom