2006 UZJ100 Build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello MUD,

Here is my “new” 2006 UZJ100. I purchased it from my father recently when he decided a Tundra (5.7L) would better suit his needs.

IMG_8406.jpeg

IMG_8407.jpeg
IMG_8408.jpeg

It is dark grey metallic (1E9), with a grey interior (LA10). My father purchased it with ~100k miles in 2015. It currently has ~175k miles and has been well taken care of as I’ve personally done or handled most of the maintenance during his ownership. Prior to that, it has spent some time in the Midwest (Ohio I believe) before arriving in the DC area for the last ~10 years. There is some surface rust, so addressing that is a priority this fall as it is manageable.

The purpose of this vehicle will be for weekend and day trips around the Northeast to get outside and surf, bike, climb, fish, hike, camp, ski, etc. It should be turnkey to chase activities and trailheads. While I love a project, I don’t have the capacity for another one right now. For now I want to preserve it, keep it “lightweight” and close to stock. It’s not my daily driver but I want to be able to daily drive it when necessary. I already have a “built” 80 series and am in the process of finishing a 1st gen 4runner resto-mod so I do not need overlapping vehicle functions/projects.

1994 FZJ80 - Built for wandering the west with ~370K miles.
IMG_7491.jpeg
IMG_8815.jpeg

To be continued on next post.

Last edited:
1989 4Runner - Resto-mod with 5VZ w/ R150F swapped, dual transfer cases, 33 inch tires, F&R lockers, 4.88 gears, long travel etc. Build thread: 1st Gen 4runner Project: My COVID-19 Build - https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/1st-gen-4runner-project-my-covid-19-build.213939/

IMG_0879.jpeg
IMG_6425.jpeg
IMG_6462.jpeg

Since I took ownership of the 100 series I added:
  • Seat covers: Wet Okole neoprene covers
  • Faded headlight restoration
  • Replaced rusted splash guard
IMG_8409.jpeg

We will be taking the 100 on vacation from New Hampshire to the upper peninsula of Michigan at the end of this month (September 2022). I am working on getting the vehicle ready for ~4000 miles in one week. I took it to my local Toyota dealer and they said for it to pass NH inspection all it needed was an exhaust leak patched. They also mentioned the passenger CV and oil pan are starting to leak and would require attention so I should watch both. Other than that it looks and sounds good.

Prior to our trip in two weeks:
  • Order any spares: belts, fuel pump, sparks, anything else? -> Completed Sep22
  • Roof rack: Ordered Gamiviti rack, should arrive before our departure -> Completed Sep22
  • Battery replacement: Upgrade size to Odyssey Extreme Group 31 (ODX-AGM31A) with Slee Main Battery tray -> Completed Sep22
  • Exhaust: Rather than patching the old one, picked up a Borla cat-back -> Completed 06Sep22
  • registered/inspected -> Completed 08Sep22
  • Audio: Bluetooth (BT45-TOY) installed -> Completed Sep22
  • Tint: 50% VLT in front, 20% VLT rear -> Decided to defer, maybe for another time
  • Oil change: 5W30 Synthetic with Toyota filter and washer and added magnetic drain plug -> Completed 09Sep22
  • Fire extinguisher and seat mount from Cruiser Garage-> Completed Sep22
Spring work - ideally at ~185miles:
  • NH undercarriage oil to address rust (scheduled for end of October 2022) -> Completed Oct22
  • Timing belt: I’d like to do this myself but it'll be my first interface motor -> TBD
  • Front end: CVs, ball joints, hubs, anything else? -> TBD
  • Oil pan reseal: Supposedly very labor intensive/expensive as the frame brace and other IFS components have to be removed -> TBD
  • Tune up: belts, sparks, wires?, fuel pump, fuel filter, flush/replace all fluids -> TBD
Cheers!

Last edited:
Those are some nice rigs ya got there! I love that metallic grey color. That's a lot to do in 2 weeks! That's more than I've done in 6 years of ownership :)

The things that have caused me issues are are the CVs, front hubs, ignition coils... Enjoy that road trip to the UP!

Fall 2022:

At the end of September 2022 we drove the it from NH to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, through Wisconsin and back to the Northeast, with a detour into Vermont.
IMG_8538.jpeg

Roof rack: I ordered a Gamiviti rack in the late spring. It arrived just before our departure for Michigan/Wisconsin after some shipping drama. Been very happy with it. Hasn’t seen much heavy “expedition” use but proven useful for my purposes. Tim (business owner) was great to deal with. Would recommend.
IMG_8837.jpeg
IMG_8839.jpeg
IMG_8838.jpeg
IMG_8841.jpeg

Borla exhaust: The original exhaust was rusted out and did not pass inspection. I ordered the Borla cat-back exhaust (P/N: 157-14814) and had it installed. The Borla exhaust tip was too big to fit with the factory tow hitch. I had an exhaust shop cut the tip and weld a slightly smaller one on. Disappointed it was not a bolt-on (as-advertised) but it was still an upgrade and passed inspection.
IMG_9945.jpeg

Battery: The battery was at the end of its life. I decided it was a good time to upgrade to a group 31 Odyssey battery using the Slee kit. I also upgraded the old ground cable. The hood does sit a tad higher. Not ideal, but it doesn’t bother me.
IMG_9946.jpeg
IMG_9948.jpeg

Fire extinguisher mount: I installed a fire extinguisher mount (Cruiser Garage accessory mount) and extinguisher at the feet of the front passenger seat. I’m not a fan of this location. It is accessible but interferes too much with passenger comfort. Often the extinguisher is removed for passenger comfort. It works, but I would like to find a better location for the extinguisher.

IMG_9932.jpeg

Maintenance: September 2022 to May 2023

Power steering: Only hiccup we had in on our trip was a slow power steering leak. I watched and topped off with ATF fluid as needed on the road. When we returned, I had the “paper clip” cooler assembly (P/N: 44402-60012) replaced. Unfortunately, other lines rusted out shortly after. So I had the PS system (reservoir P/N: 44360-60210, pump P/N: 44310-60390, pressure line assembly P/N: 44410-60590, and all other lines, brackets, hardware, bolts etc.) up to the steering rack (replaced at 147k miles on Apr19) replaced.

Oil changes: Two oil changes (every <5k miles or six months) with Mobil-1 5W-30 synthetic, filter (P/N:90915-YZZD3) and bolt gasket (P/N: 90430-12031).

Oil Undercoating: Even though this is a second vehicle (for now), I do drive this in the winter in in a climate prone to heavily corroding vehicles. I took it NH Oil Undercoating (Home - https://nhoilundercoating.com/) for an oil undercoating. While the vehicle does have some surface rust, I’d like to preserve the vehicle as best as possible. Eventually I’d like to eliminate the rust but an oil undercoating should help slow the rust down.

Sway bar bushings and links: The original bushings and links were noticible worn. I ordered a kit (CruiserTeq.com P/N: SUS470SBKITOEM) and had it installed.

Fog lights: The fog light housings were leaking water at the lens seal. OEM was expensive, so replaced the housings with aftermarket (to pass inspection). The OEM housings are noticeably higher quality and are nicer since the bulbs are reflected within the housing.

Old:
IMG_9934.jpeg

New:
IMG_9933.jpeg

Fog lights: The fog light housings were leaking water at the lens seal. OEM was expensive, so replaced the housings with aftermarket (to pass inspection). The OEM housings are noticeably higher quality and are nicer since the bulbs are reflected within the housing.

Put one drop of dawn dish soap in your OEM fogs, and fill them 50% with water and put an old blown bulb in them, shake quite hard and let sit for 10 minutes and repeat until they are clear again. Once they are clear (or much, much better) run some demineralized water through them and let them sit and dry. The demineralized water does not leave water spots as it air dries. I did that with my headlights a few times when they filled with mud, worked perfectly every time. Run a nice little bead of silicone around the outside of the lens and you will have nice looking OEM fogs again for under $20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom