2004 Land Cruiser Gauge Cluster FIXED! How-To (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since there doesnt seem tto be a fix for the LX right now, was thinking of picking up an ultragauge to monitor my car's vitals. Any other recommendation?

If you have read through the threads, you will find the answer: impossible! Unless you can find/buy a used instrument cluster from a junk yard I guess.

Also, there were several motor swap cases for LX470 which confirmed the motor is not the culprit. You can confirm this by swapping a "good" and a "bad" motor.
I thought the LX470 problem was due to the blue light around the speed meter?
I have the PPE+PS 6S and 6G motors laying around.
Now someone asks me if I can fix his gauge cluster. A LC with those blue lights (I thought LX only, but appearantly it is just facelift)
Do you guys think I can fix this cluster with a bunch of new motors?

I'm betting that the gauge face is not properly seated with the power contacts. Try adjusting the connector compression screws (x2) at base of cluster.

Never done this, but did see reference here on mud to that procedure.

What I'm noticing lately is if it has been parked overnight and in socal it's cooling off a bit overnight, when I start the LX up the oil pressure gauge works, but anytime after that first start up nada. Sigh, wish these clusters werent so damn expensive to replace.

What I'm noticing lately is if it has been parked overnight and in socal it's cooling off a bit overnight, when I start the LX up the oil pressure gauge works, but anytime after that first start up nada. Sigh, wish these clusters werent so damn expensive to replace.
I did notice this new contender for repairing the cluster…. Has anyone had any experience with this company? I don’t like that it’s in AU but hey may be worth the wait…

Any thoughts??

I did notice this new contender for repairing the cluster…. Has anyone had any experience with this company? I don’t like that it’s in AU but hey may be worth the wait…

Any thoughts??
they have quite the history with ebay just the down time is what sucks

Tacking on here too. I've messaged Tanin and the ebay store (in Australia) previously mentioned. I can pull the stepper motor out, anyone know of a source or repair shop in SoCal that could rebuild the motor or rebuild the gauge cluster locally here?

Thanks! That's down the street from my office. I've actually taken my 80 series to him to adjust for bigger tires (which I still need to have him actually do the work). Lol.
I'll try to bring my Lexus to him sometime this week and report back if he can do the fix!
You're welcome Yes please let me know I just need to get off my butt and go down there

Probably will be towards end of this week. I'm supposed to still be quarantining and working from home the next couple of days ;)
Lol. I work from home so it's difficult to get out and do "things"

Probably will be towards end of this week. I'm supposed to still be quarantining and working from home the next couple of days ;)
Please keep us updated if he can fix the issue for LX. Believe we have enough candidates for a "group buy" I guess...

Please keep us updated if he can fix the issue for LX. Believe we have enough candidates for a "group buy" I guess...
All good news! I finally got to the shop today and met the guy there and he said he can fix the stepper motor/gauge. He said he has repaired the LX and LC before and said they are a little bit involved but has done them before and has all of the parts.
He told me its $150 to fix if i bring the gauge cluster and will take about 3-4 days.
If I don't want to take the cluster out, I can take him the car and it will be done same day and is $150 +95. But he is about 3 weeks out right now for appointments on this.
I'm gonna try to take him my cluster sometime in the next week or two. Just gotta get the 80 series out of storage to drive! lol.
The shop is:
Speedo Check in Whittier. www.speedocheckca.com His number is on his website.

All good news! I finally got to the shop today and met the guy there and he said he can fix the stepper motor/gauge. He said he has repaired the LX and LC before and said they are a little bit involved but has done them before and has all of the parts.
He told me its $150 to fix if i bring the gauge cluster and will take about 3-4 days.
If I don't want to take the cluster out, I can take him the car and it will be done same day and is $150 +95. But he is about 3 weeks out right now for appointments on this.
I'm gonna try to take him my cluster sometime in the next week or two. Just gotta get the 80 series out of storage to drive! lol.
The shop is:
Yes that's awesome. Gonna attempt to pull the cluster out now. Thanks for checking

very interested to hear how it goes. my 2004 has a fuel gauge that's flaky.
Mines the oil pressure, but sometimes when I put my key in it makes this funny gear noise and the needles for oil, fuel and water vibrates

The shop is:
To make sure, it's the LX, not LC, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom