2004 Land Cruiser Gauge Cluster FIXED! How-To (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I drove my lx470 down there and parked it in front of his door and told him all about it. He made a comment about only repairing one gauge when I asked for price so it makes me think he can do the stepper motor repair on other gauges too. My other ones are fine right now so I didn't go into that with him but I wouldn't see why he couldn't repair stepper motor on other gauges. I think the principle of the repair is the same judging on other posts in the forum.

I drove my lx470 down there and parked it in front of his door and told him all about it. He made a comment about only repairing one gauge when I asked for price so it makes me think he can do the stepper motor repair on other gauges too. My other ones are fine right now so I didn't go into that with him but I wouldn't see why he couldn't repair stepper motor on other gauges. I think the principle of the repair is the same judging on other posts in the forum.
I contacted him also and sent him pictures of the stepper motors needed. He is going to check his stock and fitment. I update with his reply

Mines the oil pressure, but sometimes when I put my key in it makes this funny gear noise and the needles for oil, fuel and water vibrates
mine does the same thing. maybe 30% of the time the fuel gauge works, sometimes it just vibrates. seems like the 2004 and possibly 2005 LX470 are most common for this failure of the gauge cluster.

mine does the same thing. maybe 30% of the time the fuel gauge works, sometimes it just vibrates. seems like the 2004 and possibly 2005 LX470 are most common for this failure of the gauge cluster.
good to know i'm not the only one having a gauge cluster that is epileptic

Having the exact issues in my 2005 LX. Following this thread and hopeful for a fix. Thank you for everyone’s efforts! I was quoted $699.00 from tannin auto with a 2 week turnaround, or an additional $200 for expedited next day…

I've seen cluster-related questions all over this board but none seemed to lead to a fix. Most of the threads I've read dead-ended with folks either 1. just living with dead gauges or 2. sending the cluster in for repair ($450+). I'm sure age is a factor for these gauges. I've heard it mentioned that hot environments are hard on them, too. The truck I bought has lived its entire life in north Texas...where the summer heat is miserable. So, maybe there is some connection to the heat hypothesis.
Mine barley has just over 136 K miles on it and the cluster started to give out. For a 1999 LX I'd say that isn't a tonne of miles, I had a 2010 GS that had the same mileage after 10 years. Although living in the middle east clearly had its toll on the car, 45ºC heat all summer long and always being parked outside by the old owner isn't exactly the friendliest of conditions to live in.

Hi all,
Would anyone happen to know what size the LED chips are in the cluster?

I have a few tiring brown and would like to order some replacements.

Thanks

Good night from Spain.
I have been reading your messages carefully (they are magnificent and very complete) and I would like to know if any of you could sell me your damaged gauge clusters or even the stepper motors even if they are also damaged, so I could practice without the risk of damaging plus mine.
I will be very grateful for the answer.
Receive a cordial greeting.

I haven't been able to take my cluster out yet since it's my daily. Hoping to soon though. Just some other projects came up in the past few weeks.
Did you ever get this fixed?

Also, I only drive my LX every week or two lately. I have noticed every time it sits for 4 or 5 days then I drive it all the gauges work fine on initial start up. Once I turn it off and start it again some don’t work. Could this be some type of resistor or something? I have never looked at a diagram of the cluster to see if there is anything like that on there ( plus I wouldn’t really know what I’m looking for). I find it hard to believe the stepper motors are the problem at this point.

it's most likely failing solder connections on the PCB (printed circuit board) and the stepper motors. i think the pleaces that rebuild these use some sort of heating method to "re-flow" the solder joints?

Last edited:
Did you ever get this fixed?

Also, I only drive my LX every week or two lately. I have noticed every time it sits for 4 or 5 days then I drive it all the gauges work fine on initial start up. Once I turn it off and start it again some don’t work. Could this be some type of resistor or something? I have never looked at a diagram of the cluster to see if there is anything like that on there ( plus I wouldn’t really know what I’m looking for). I find it hard to believe the stepper motors are the problem at this point.
This is my oil pressure in a nutshell

Good day to you all. So here is my problem, went on a long trip for Xmas, after maybe 500 km’s the car UZJ100 ’98 model starts juddering when accelerating through 3rd gear, once it engages 4th gear juddering stops. Temp guage and fuel guage flicker in sync with the juddering. If i down shift to 3rd whilst in 4th by pressing overdrive switch I can accelerate in 3rd and no juddering but temp guage bottoms out and stays down until i re engage overdrive and get into 4th.
My question is is this a guage/cluster problem or a transmission controller problem. I did have a large fridge frezzer unit running in the car for the first time and it was raining vertually entire journey so had wipers and lights on. Suggestions pleas good people.

anyone just ask a dealer about a new combination meter? I ask because my tachometer has been off 200rpm for years now. I've seen prices in the 590 range for a new meter. Some websites say not available for sale. But they don't say, no longer available.
I'm too lazy to call and ask. I know there's a letter at the end of our parts numbers also, which isn't specified when you look up 3s online.

Certainly wouldn't pay someone 600 to fix + shipping when a new one is close to 10000. I wouldn't at least.
I might never fix mine anyway.

Aight so having an ‘06 LX with:
Dead speedo, tach and oil gauge
Fluttering after having inserting key.

If I’m able to source new stepper motors will it completely resolve the issue? Or just get new cluster?

Our 2000 LC started having similar issues - fiat oil pressure and now temp gauge.

Good day to you all. So here is my problem, went on a long trip for Xmas, after maybe 500 km’s the car UZJ100 ’98 model starts juddering when accelerating through 3rd gear, once it engages 4th gear juddering stops. Temp guage and fuel guage flicker in sync with the juddering. If i down shift to 3rd whilst in 4th by pressing overdrive switch I can accelerate in 3rd and no juddering but temp guage bottoms out and stays down until i re engage overdrive and get into 4th.
My question is is this a guage/cluster problem or a transmission controller problem. I did have a large fridge frezzer unit running in the car for the first time and it was raining vertually entire journey so had wipers and lights on. Suggestions pleas good people.
So after many frustrating hours in the workshop and endless internet searches, have eventually solved the problem. Turned out to be neither the gauge cluster or the ECU or transmission controler, but it was a faulty ignition coil. It took until the coil totally stopped working before we found the real cause. Changed ignition coils and car is as good as new, no guage problems no transmission problems. Stocked to have Old car back in full health.

Has anyone got it fixed successfully on a LX? Seems there is a shop here or there but want to hear a success story before proceeding.

For now, I can survive with only the Tachometer and rely on Torque on cellphone to get the coolant temperature and speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom