SOLD 2003 Troopy in the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series

Attachments

• 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser _ S232 _ Glendale 2020.pdf
    173.6 KB · Views: 338
Somebody just buy the damn thing!

The importer is a "legit" company.

Probably. But it doesn't follow that this is a "legit" import.

I figured I’d just reach out...

Since you already have a dialogue going, maybe you could ask them if they'd forward copies of the following documents:

US Customs Entry form, usually a CBP 7501.
EPA form 3520-1, on which they declare compliance with (or exemption from) Federal EPA laws regarding emissions.
USDOT, NHTSA form HS-7, on which they declare compliance with (or exemption from) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

All of these would have been necessary to legally import this car and clear US Customs. I think we'd all like to hear an explanation for how it could be legally imported without them. It would save us all a lot of trouble importing cars.

Who knows? Perhaps they've found the "magic loophole" we've all been looking for. Now we can all have <25 year old foreign-market cars because of their big breakthrough. I wouldn't count on it.

"Nothing to worry about". That's precious. See my post #22. It's a gamble for the buyer. It's a "low chance of getting caught" but "high potential for loss" type of gamble. My least favorite kind.

EDIT: corrected some grammatical mistakes

Last edited:
The color is nice at least 🤷‍♂️
Definitely not 100% legit and legal. Unless there's some customs paperwork dickery with it being simply a "Land Cruiser" from 2003 (which we had land cruisers here in 2003) and it having a 1FZ (which was offered as motor in the US).

However, I think it would need an emissions conformity sticker. Not sure on that. I went through that when I tried to buy a Tundra from Canada. Can't remember the details.

Before this thread you could probably get away with it. Now that the US 70-series community knows about it, it'll be an even bigger gamble. You'll probably still be fine though. I just wouldn't take it on any trips to Baja or the Yukon. Crossing the border back could be a dice roll.

What ever happened to that Papp VDJ79 series rolling around?

Last edited:
Probably. But it doesn't follow that this is a "legit" import.

Since you already have a dialogue going, maybe you could ask them if they'd forward copies of the following documents:

US Customs Entry form, usually a CPB 7501.
EPA form 3520-1, on which they declare compliance (or exemption) from Federal EPA laws regarding emissions.
USDOT, NHTSA form HS-7, on which they declare compliance (or exemption) from Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

All of these would have been necessary to legally import this car and clear US Customs. I think we'd all like to hear an explanation for how it could be legally imported without them. It would save us all a lot of trouble importing cars.

Who knows? Perhaps they've found the "magic exemption" we've all been looking for. Now we can all have <25 year old foreign-market cars because of their big breakthrough. I wouldn't count on it.

"Nothing to worry about". That's precious. See my post #22. It's a gamble for the buyer. It's a "low chance of getting caught" but "high potential for loss" type of gamble. My least favorite kind.

Already done. I’m not sure I could actually afford the auction price if it is truly legit. However, I figure it’s better to be educated and heck if there is a loophole it would be a great thing for the 70 series community.

I am not trying to say it is legit, just sharing what I find out. It is unlikely that it’s legal, but laws change from time to time. Aside from that, I'm not disagreeing with anyone here, I am really just curious.

Last edited:
This lot should be crossing the block around 7:30P eastern, give or take 15 minutes. Broadcast is on NBCSN.

EDIT: My bad. I really punted the time/math on the lots.

Last edited:
They also have a 2005 at the auction, same color probably same seller...

What ever happened to that Papp VDJ79 series rolling around?

That was here on temp import for testing (see nhtsa form hs-7 for the different conditions of temp import) and had to be sold/exported. Their story continues to be that all the “haters” ruined their legit business lol.

Was it No Reserve? Anybody know where the first bid came in?

Hammering at $20K seems totally crazy. Seller must have taken a bath.

He netted $18K from the auction. Transport from VZA to FL and transport from FL to AZ wasn't cheap.

If the buyer is here, I wouldn't necessarily expect him/her to come forward--"hey, check me out. I'm the winner of the contraband!!"--but they certainly got a good price.

Hope it works out for them.

...and, BTW, this is rich:

Their story continues to be that all the “haters” ruined their legit business lol.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

$22k - Someone got a great deal, even after auction fees.

ACF2F6A2-C919-4AD5-BA67-7AEEA72B34CD.jpeg

22 included the buyer's vig.

Did you win the bid?

I wish!

Was it No Reserve?

I'll guess it was not, they would usually mention that in the listing, more likely the reserve was dropped because the seller didn't want to spend on taking it home or thought it would rally a bid (the auctioneers usually try to convince sellers of this).

Hammering at $20K seems totally crazy. Seller must have taken a bath.

He netted $18K from the auction. Transport from VZA to FL and transport from FL to AZ wasn't cheap.

Fo sho

I must be a little slow. You guys are on page 3 (post 58) discussing selling price and who may have bought it while I'm still on page 1 (post 1) trying to figure out why a 2003 Land Cruiser needed a frame-off restoration.

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Body-off restoration
  • 4.5L 24 valve 6-cylinder engine
  • Equipped with 4-wheel drive and warn locking hubs
  • Front heater and air conditioning
  • Rear jump seats
  • Black steels wheel
  • 300 miles since restoration
  • OEM genuine Toyota Land Cruiser snorkel
  • Dual gas tanks
  • 7 inch pro shock suspension

Users who are viewing this thread