Builds 2002 HZJ76 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you getting hit by some snow tonight? It's coming east some 10CM here and there

Are you getting hit by some snow tonight? It's coming east some 10CM here and there
Hey Tom!

This has been a strange year for snow. I live in a valley below SiverStar Ski Resort so we typically get a little more snow here. Last year, the ski resort opened early due to great snow conditions, and when all the snow was long gone in Vernon (20 minutes away) in the spring, we still had over a foot in our yard.

However... THIS year, we have NONE yet! Much to my boys chagrin, for they all love to snowboard. On that note, I will bring up a sore point. Last year was the first year that one of my kids is now better and faster than I am on a snowboard! 🤬😢 I can no longer keep up with my 16yr old son, and I have officially started to feel... well... OLD! LOL. I suppose it was inevitable. I do not have to like it, though. 😉

Fall is my favorite time of year, so I am not complaining one bit. I do like snow and playing in it, it is one of the reasons I chose to live where I do. My only complaint is because of our milder temperatures, snow simply creates a lot of mess until the roads dry up, so that part I do not like. Windshield wash and car wash budgets are a thing around here. 🤣

I have been following your progress on your troopy! I'm looking forward to seeing it (and you) in person when you do your sojourn to the West. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to spend all along the west coastal areas in the mountains, so much to see and do. :cheers:

Hey Tom!

This has been a strange year for snow. I live in a valley below SiverStar Ski Resort so we typically get a little more snow here. Last year, the ski resort opened early due to great snow conditions, and when all the snow was long gone in Vernon (20 minutes away) in the spring, we still had over a foot in our yard.

However... THIS year, we have NONE yet! Much to my boys chagrin, for they all love to snowboard. On that note, I will bring up a sore point. Last year was the first year that one of my kids is now better and faster than I am on a snowboard! 🤬😢 I can no longer keep up with my 16yr old son, and I have officially started to feel... well... OLD! LOL. I suppose it was inevitable. I do not have to like it, though. 😉

Fall is my favorite time of year, so I am not complaining one bit. I do like snow and playing in it, it is one of the reasons I chose to live where I do. My only complaint is because of our milder temperatures, snow simply creates a lot of mess until the roads dry up, so that part I do not like. Windshield wash and car wash budgets are a thing around here. 🤣

I have been following your progress on your troopy! I'm looking forward to seeing it (and you) in person when you do your sojourn to the West. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to spend all along the west coastal areas in the mountains, so much to see and do. :cheers:

Same here normally ski season starts around the 31 Oct but not this year! My Daughter is turning 15 and she gonna surpass me too hahaha time flies!!!
If all goes well I will normally hit the road west this summer working on the cabinet and some electric at this point :p
I will definitely come by :)

Same here normally ski season starts around the 31 Oct but not this year! My Daughter is turning 15 and she gonna surpass me too hahaha time flies!!!
If all goes well I will normally hit the road west this summer working on the cabinet and some electric at this point :p
I will definitely come by :)
As adults, (at least speaking for myself) when you’re deciding to do X, Y or Z you can’t help but think about what you could break doing so. Kids aren’t wired that way. 😁

Lol. We are also looking at snow but by the time it gets to Banff I'm expecting it to peter out somewhat. We shall see.

Darren you aren't old. 🤣 I only say that defensivley, because we are cohorts.

Lol. We are also looking at snow but by the time it gets to Banff I'm expecting it to peter out somewhat. We shall see.

Darren you aren't old. 🤣 I only say that defensivley, because we are cohorts.
I used to say that I am as old as I feel, but I cannot even do that now, because some days I feel about 100. So now I have to say that I am only as old as I act... 🤣

I will see how much mileage I can get out of that one.... lol

Wow does time fly... tonight I got to rechecking my front hubs for play since replacing the front axle housing 2 months ago.

Left side was good, right side had some slight play, so I dismantled and reset the preload. Now it is good again. I realize it has only been 2 months, but antiseize on the cone washers is a dream. I didn't even have to remove them - with the nuts off I was able to just pull the outer hub off with the cone washers in place. Total job, including checking all the steering components and ball joints only took about an hour. I even checked the rears since I had replaced the brakes and bearings in the summer, but they were all good.

I enjoy knowing a machine so well that you can "feel" when something is slightly off, or a certain noise appears (this is why I do not like any rattles or squeaks). :cheers:

Winter time seems to bring out all the little gremlins in vehicles, and as robust as Land Cruisers are, they are no exception.

My rear passenger door has a sticky lock, so I determined to rectify that tonight. I removed the door skin to get at it, and because I have the poverty pack garage (read: no heat, lol) I broke a couple of the retaining tabs.
20231213_165847.jpg

Fortunately I had the forethought to grab 3 bags of the various retainers, I broke 2 of the red ones. For reference:
20231213_170803.jpg

To avoid making holes in the vapor barrier, I used the extension on the wd-40 to reach the linkages to lubricate
20231213_170546.jpg

I buttoned it all back up and the lock is moving much more freely now. Important, as I did not want to burn out the power lock actuator. :cheers:

I wanted to thank you for getting those window visors off to Garret. I got them this past summer. I have yet to install them, but it seems like no drama.
Your 76 has come a long way since I last saw it in Edmonton.

I wanted to thank you for getting those window visors off to Garret. I got them this past summer. I have yet to install them, but it seems like no drama.
Your 76 has come a long way since I last saw it in Edmonton.
No worries! Glad they went to someone that would use and appreciate them. The Land Cruiser community is a small one! :cheers:

I hope everyone is having a good holiday season.

For Christmas, I ended up getting a set of these:

I have to say, these were not my first choice, as for the price, you can get new OEM power mirrors. The problem is that there does not appear to be any non-convex options available. Also confirmed with Mr Stedman at japan4x4. I also was not a fan of these aftermarket OCAM mirrors because they also require 2 additional holes drilled into each door to properly mount them.

I could have just got straight glass cut to replace the convex, but for those who have been following my thread, I broke one of my mirror housing last fall and temporarily fixed it. I figured I would rather put that money towards a full fix. With no other options, this now brought the OCAM mirrors back into the picture.

Installation is pretty straight forward, though the power ones that I got were not a "plug and play" option. They came with their own wiring and controller. I ended up splicing the OEM plug from the old mirrors to the new ones so I could plug into the harness.

20231227_220833.jpg

First impressions were these mirrors are well built and solid. Each side took me around 90 mins to install. They seem huge in comparison to the OEM ones, and create a little more wind noise.
20231227_220848.jpg

They are also very stiff to fold, so I will need to be careful when off road to make sure they do not get damaged by tree branches, etc.
20231227_220833.jpg

On the highway, they are solid. No vibration and crystal clear view. Overall, I am pleased with the product. Getting it on sale made it a little more reasonable to purchase as well, since the savings paid for the shipping.

It is so nice to have proper view and perspective when backing up and towing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom