2000 UZJ100 Minamalist build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You've done tires too right?

I have and that's another issue all on its own, as I can't seem to get anyone to balance them correctly. BFG KO2's, 285/75's. They're good up to about 70 then the truck wobbles/shakes - it is in the seats and a little in the steering wheel.

Driveline vibes are under acceleration. The thing is, I have lifted it, rebuilt cv axles and replaced ujoints, with OEM parts, excluding lift of course.

I have and that's another issue all on its own, as I can't seem to get anyone to balance them correctly. BFG KO2's, 285/75's. They're good up to about 70 then the truck wobbles/shakes - it is in the seats and a little in the steering wheel.

Driveline vibes are under acceleration. The thing is, I have lifted it, rebuilt cv axles and replaced ujoints, with OEM parts, excluding lift of course.

What size lift? Have you done a diff drop? Why such an issue balancing the tires correctly I wonder. Mine are 315's and they seemed to balance just fine.

What size lift? Have you done a diff drop? Why such an issue balancing the tires correctly I wonder. Mine are 315's and they seemed to balance just fine.

OME Heavy 3" which actually yielded about 5" in the rear (unloaded) due to 18 year old original spring sag. Got the front at 21.5" hub center to fender lip, which isn't much lift. Fully loaded I still have about 1 1/2" rake at least which will be reduced when I get a steel rear bumper w/swingouts.

Beyond me man...they were balanced just fine when new, now about 5k miles later, I rotated them and took a 6hr road trip which is where I noticed it. I have taken it back literally 5 times since...each time they move the weights which tells me they get a different reading every time they put it on the machine. This is a brand spankin new Tire Discounters with nice equipment. You'd think...

Hey Jon, it's Sang, rig is looking sweet, those 315s look massive!

OME Heavy 3" which actually yielded about 5" in the rear (unloaded) due to 18 year old original spring sag. Got the front at 21.5" hub center to fender lip, which isn't much lift. Fully loaded I still have about 1 1/2" rake at least which will be reduced when I get a steel rear bumper w/swingouts.

Beyond me man...they were balanced just fine when new, now about 5k miles later, I rotated them and took a 6hr road trip which is where I noticed it. I have taken it back literally 5 times since...each time they move the weights which tells me they get a different reading every time they put it on the machine. This is a brand spankin new Tire Discounters with nice equipment. You'd think...

So I had similar issues. I mostly got rid of mine by adjusting my pinion angle. I had to tighten my upper trailing arms all the way down and then lengthen my lowers a bit. You want the pinion angle on the rear to be about 2 degrees lower than at the transfer case. Use a magnetic angle finder at the flange to measure. Mine was 90 degrees zero'd out so I set mine to about 88.

Talking to Carl with Nitro Gear about his 100 build while at SEMA - he had have his drive shafts converted to double cardan to get rid of the vibes completely. I'll probably do the same at some point.

So I had similar issues. I mostly got rid of mine by adjusting my pinion angle. I had to tighten my upper trailing arms all the way down and then lengthen my lowers a bit. You want the pinion angle on the rear to be about 2 degrees lower than at the transfer case. Use a magnetic angle finder at the flange to measure. Mine was 90 degrees zero'd out so I set mine to about 88.

Talking to Carl with Nitro Gear about his 100 build while at SEMA - he had have his drive shafts converted to double cardan to get rid of the vibes completely. I'll probably do the same at some point.

I was wondering if a D.C. Shaft would be necessary in this truck. I had one in my 80 and I loved it. I had it built by tatton drive shaft in Salt Lake City.

Believe it or not the eBay cheapie come with a depression for the antenna where the safari doesn't for some reason.

I think this is ultimately the route I will go.

Here you go @PcCruiser
100 Series Build - Proper Family Hauler
Scroll down to Post #56. It's pretty easy. Just don't go overboard with the heating. Heat a little, press a little and check the snorkel for clearance with the antena, repeat as many times as needed, I think I repeated the process about 4 or 5 times (you need to apply more pressure than it would seem necessary)

Thanks! After looking at it - it's seems easy to damage and I wasn't a fan of the look.

This.

For the life of me, I can't understand why the other products did not. It was a hassle to install, but I am content with my innerned cheapie.

I think $500 for the safari is too pricey..

Well I get it at dealer cost but still - the cheapie is cheaper and I don't have to worry about ruining the aesthetics by melting it.

Got some Rigid LED flood pods for Christmas. Going to mount in the stock bumper. A buddy of mine is going to weld a couple tabs to the inside of the cross member for me so I don't have to hassle with the drilling.

I also used @Ramathorn15 s writeup about interior wiring and ordered the boot and bit from Amazon to make a hole in the firewall.

This is just a mockup of how they will sit, just wanted to make sure everythig works.
IMG_6092.JPG

Finished the install on my RI floods. A buddy of mine came over and welded some light tabs to the cross member so I could mount the lights inside the factory bumper. I have seen several people drill through the cross member but I just wasn't seeing an easy way to do that and welding the tabs on seemed like a much better idea.

The RI kit came with everything needed, lights, harness and switch.

First I drilled a hole through the firewall following @Ramathorn15 directions and tool numbers from Amazon.
IMG_6128.JPG

I used this bit for the hole

IMG_6132.JPG

I then pulled the blank next to the steering column to mount the switch. I used the same bit on the plastic.
IMG_6133.JPG

IMG_6134.JPG

IMG_6204.JPG

My friend welded the tabs on. I don't have a great picture of them.

IMG_6234.JPG

It's basically a 3x6" piece of 3/16 welded on. I asked for such a big piece because that will allow me to mount spot lights next to the flood in the future.

The lights mount right inside the factory bumper and I cut out the little plastic grill in there. The placement isn't anything revolutionary but I am very happy with how it turned out.

IMG_6236.JPG

Last but not least, shout out to my favorite helper. This is my oldest and she loves to turn wrenches.
IMG_6127.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

Nice job - I have to get some lights up front.

Finally got some off pavement time with this thing. Aside from the trip to big bend, I haven't had any time to play since I bought this last January.

@nmatcek and I headed up to hidden falls Offroad park in marble falls Texas. It was overcast and rainy, that added to the fun for the day. I still don't have sliders so we took it fairly "easy". It was strange seeing this park from the perspective of a 100 owner. When I had my 80 that was locked, 37" MTR's and 5.29 diffs it was a totally different experience. I could almost get up and over anything.
The 100 is a little less capable for me at this point especially unlocked and no armor. When I get those things taken care of I will feel much more comfortable trying bigger obstacles.

IMG_6364.JPG
IMG_6366.JPG
IMG_6367.JPG
IMG_6369.JPG
IMG_6371.JPG

I had to officially make it mine today. I find that even the smallest personal touch on a new vehicle really makes it feel like it's actually yours.

I ran this same set up in my 80, all I had to do was remove the third row grab handle on the driver side and (using original hardware) attach the quick fist mounts. Once that was done I had a place to securely store my gränsfors bruks small forest axe.

Side not, this tool was a gift from my wife when our first child was born. A sort of "welcome to fatherhood" gift. I absolutely love it.
View attachment 1189496
Hey- so just to see how you did this, you removed the grab handles from the third row and used axe/hatchet mounts? What brand did you use? And did you have to make any mods or did it just fit perfectly? Thanks

Hey- so just to see how you did this, you removed the grab handles from the third row and used axe/hatchet mounts? What brand did you use? And did you have to make any mods or did it just fit perfectly? Thanks

I bought some quickfist mounts on amazon. I think I went with the 1" or maybe 1.5". It is very straight forward. take off grab handle, use old hardware to put mounts on. that's it.

Devilddog, I just bought those exact same lights. With harness and ready to install. As you're probably well aware, a lot of the jeep crowd is mounting them in front of the rearview mirrors. Not sure I love that. I've already got some IPF lights that will go on the front bumper, so I don't love the idea of putting them up front. I have them connected to the front of my Slimline II rack.

How far forward do they project? Is the light angle narrow or dispersed? It was a cinch to mount them to my SLimline and I'm very happy with that.

Are you wiring to a dual battery system of any kind?

Thanks in advance!

Thought I would check in since its been about 9 months or so that I have been off the radar.

Cliff notes would be:

took a trip to Moab, bashed doors and rear quarter window
drove around with cardboard wrapped in a trash bag as a window for 6 months
finally got that fixed

3rd annual trip to big bend. Took my oldest (3 yo) and our 7 month old lab puppy. We all had a great time.

Passed 300K, now about 305K

having starter issues, not sure if solenoid or starter needs to be replaced.

Committed to self to keep until 400K before I replace. I think I want to go back to an 80, but also want a 200. Not sure what the plans are.

planning on relocating to CO springs in the next 12-18 months

next mod will be either a rack or front bumper. Love @benc modular bumper, could use the utility of a rack with the growing family.

anywho, I hope to be a bit more active here (like I was in the old days) but can't make any commitments. I still have a year left in my MBA program. In fact I should be studying for finals right now...

planning on relocating to CO springs in the next 12-18 months

Be a hero and make your first two pizza dine-in experiences:

Fargo's (peperonni for the win)

&

Leon Gessi's (order by the slice)

Thank me in 12-18 months and enjoy God's country (less the ever present smell of pot)

Welcome to the sickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom