2000 UZJ100 Minamalist build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I''ll bet you wouldn't get that close a rattle snake:)

Btw, I just put on(last weekend) the exact same snorkel, I live in DFW. If you want help, shoot me a pm, i'll end up giving you the mechanics name. I know it sucked so you're not alone.

Worst case, I'll take photos and send them to you and you can see..

Luckily I have a couple buddies local that will help when the time comes. Thinking springtime for sliders and snorkel.

Nope to that spider. Glad you had a good time in BB!

So did you guys need to remove the antenna? I have the LX470 with the auto antenna and have ready in some cases you do and in some cases you don't. I'll be doing the ARB snorkel. May do mine shortly after Christmas.

I''ll bet you wouldn't get that close a rattle snake:)

Btw, I just put on(last weekend) the exact same snorkel, I live in DFW. If you want help, shoot me a pm, i'll end up giving you the mechanics name. I know it sucked so you're not alone.

Worst case, I'll take photos and send them to you and you can see..

Luckily I have a couple buddies local that will help when the time comes. Thinking springtime for sliders and snorkel.

So did you guys need to remove the antenna? I have the LX470 with the auto antenna and have ready in some cases you do and in some cases you don't. I'll be doing the ARB snorkel. May do mine shortly after Christmas.

I used the Safari snorkel on my 2004 LC and yes I did have to remove the antenna. There's a trick on mud somewhere about heating up the snorkel plastic and pressing on it to reshape the side of the snorkel and provide clearance for the antenna.

I used the Safari snorkel on my 2004 LC and yes I did have to remove the antenna. There's a trick on mud somewhere about heating up the snorkel plastic and pressing on it to reshape the side of the snorkel and provide clearance for the antenna.

Hmm. Will have to find that because I still like to listen to the radio (even though it is aftermarket head unit the antenna still goes up and down which is convenient). May be worth the effort. I'm guessing you just heat it up and press with a socket or something?

Hmm. Will have to find that because I still like to listen to the radio (even though it is aftermarket head unit the antenna still goes up and down which is convenient). May be worth the effort. I'm guessing you just heat it up and press with a socket or something?
Yeah basically. For what it's worth I didn't notice much difference in reception when I took the antenna off. If you look in your side glass on the rear passenger side (cargo area vent window) you'll see there's another antenna embedded in the glass there.

Believe it or not the eBay cheapie come with a depression for the antenna where the safari doesn't for some reason.

Good point. Mine actually got damaged at a car wash (they forgot to put it down) and I noticed poorer reception for certain stations so I'll be keeping it.

Yeah basically. For what it's worth I didn't notice much difference in reception when I took the antenna off. If you look in your side glass on the rear passenger side (cargo area vent window) you'll see there's another antenna embedded in the glass there.

I've noticed that but I try to run as much as I can what I carry through Red Dirt. Since we carry all ARB....

Only thing I run that I don't carry are my Slee items since they don't really resell (diff drop, dual battery tray, full skids, stainless extended brake lines).

Believe it or not the eBay cheapie come with a depression for the antenna where the safari doesn't for some reason.

Here you go @PcCruiser
100 Series Build - Proper Family Hauler
Scroll down to Post #56. It's pretty easy. Just don't go overboard with the heating. Heat a little, press a little and check the snorkel for clearance with the antena, repeat as many times as needed, I think I repeated the process about 4 or 5 times (you need to apply more pressure than it would seem necessary)

Last edited:
So in big bend I tore the sidewall on the Toyo all terrain on the truck. I tried to cheap out and just buy one but my ride quality has suffered. My three new tires came in today and I'll get them mounted on Saturday. Hope this helps my vibrations in the truck.

This.

For the life of me, I can't understand why the other products did not. It was a hassle to install, but I am content with my innerned cheapie.

I think $500 for the safari is too pricey..

So I got my other three tires in. After big bend a few things started happening all at once, and I had a nasty vibration past 55 MPH. I had hoped the new tires would fix the issue, but they didn't. I then checked the u joints and the rear drive shaft seemed to have some play in it. I ordered the joints through the local dealership.

I would say I am fairly mechanically inclined but for the life of me I could not get the caps off the old joints. I asked for some references and was pointed to a local shop called drive shafts unlimited. For $16 bucks they swappped out my old joints. Best money I ever spent.
IMG_5863.JPG

Can you tell which one was put on that day?
IMG_5900.JPG

Old joint
IMG_5940.JPG
IMG_5941.JPG

Pretty new joints.

So I got my other three tires in. After big bend a few things started happening all at once, and I had a nasty vibration past 55 MPH. I had hoped the new tires would fix the issue, but they didn't. I then checked the u joints and the rear drive shaft seemed to have some play in it. I ordered the joints through the local dealership.

I would say I am fairly mechanically inclined but for the life of me I could not get the caps off the old joints. I asked for some references and was pointed to a local shop called drive shafts unlimited. For $16 bucks they swappped out my old joints. Best money I ever spent.
View attachment 1369120
Can you tell which one was put on that day?
View attachment 1369121
Old joint
View attachment 1369122 View attachment 1369123
Pretty new joints.

Just curious...did the vibration disappear?

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Vibrations are gone and it feels like I'm driving a brand new truck.

Great! Thanks...I asked because Ujoint replacement caused more vibrations in mine and still chasing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom